Best Varroa Resistant Breed for NH - Page 4
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Default Re: Best Varroa Resistant Breed

The majority are from Sam Comfort or are daughters of those queens. Two queens came from Warm Colors Apiary and last month I bought a queen from Mcfarline Apiary.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

from what i can gather on the web sam and tim are completely treatment free and wca 'minimizes' the use of treatments.

your mite counts are encouraging.

it would be great to have more reporting from treatment free beekeepers located in the northeastern u.s.

if you are so inclined please consider starting a thread chronicling your experience nhbeek.
    journaling the growth of a (mite) treatment free apiary started in 2010. 20+/- hives

your mite counts are encouraging.
    agreeded, but your not out of the woods yet, keep an eye on them

I will most certainly be testing again in september and october. The plan is to treat if mites get over 2% because a hive needs to be in excellent health to even have a chance to overwinter.

Quote Originally Posted by squarepeg View Post
    it would be great to have more reporting from treatment free beekeepers located in the northeastern u.s.

if you are so inclined please consider starting a thread chronicling your experience nhbeek.
    I would love to start a thread when I have something more to add.

Quote Originally Posted by NHbeek View Post
    The plan is to treat if mites get over 2% because a hive needs to be in excellent health to even have a chance to overwinter.
    was this your approach last winter? if yes did you have any colonies below threshold that were left untreated and survived winter?

I would love to start a thread when I have something more to add.
    sounds good, thanks!
    journaling the growth of a (mite) treatment free apiary started in 2010. 20+/- hives

Typically I end up doing several treatments on the buckfast/italian stock I have. They always need treatment around this time of year.

understood nhbeek.

it sounds like you've got a nice assortment of genetics there.

looking forward to hearing how it all plays out for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Juhani Lunden View Post
    Are there studies of different varroa resistant breeds, what kind is the population curve of mites? VSH, Primorski, Purdue mite biters etc.

I mean is there somekind of period when mite numbers go up (maybe 5%?), after which the bees react and trow mites out. Or has some stock another strategy: mite level stays stable all season(maybe 1-2%)?

From Fernando de Noronja (?) there is a study, the levels have come down during several decades, but I don´t remember if that study said anything about seasonal variation.

Quote Originally Posted by msl View Post

Brettella,Martin 2107 Oldest Varroa tolerant honey bee population provides insight into the origins of the global decline of honey beeshttps://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5385554/
    My memory failed, they write about seasonal variation in mite population.
    Quote of the study:
    "The infestation levels of sealed brood and adult workers were variable; both between colonies and month of collection (Fig. 3a) as previously found. All colonies were infested, with adult bee infestation levels much lower (1–2%) than found in the worker (10–20%) or drone (23–38%) brood cells. In May 2016, the six study colonies contained an average of 8400 (±2865 SD; range 4684–11839) sealed brood cells, 13894 (±4560 SD; range 7655–19982) adult bees and 1749 (±1565 SD; range 290–4647) mites per colony (Fig. 3b)."

Worker brood infestation varied between 10% ( July 2015) and 20% (May 2016). Adult bee infestation varied from 1 to 2%.

I remember reading that with Primorski they have evolved to a different direction: there are more mites on adult bees and less mites in brood cells compared to "normal bees". And from the study I linked (in my post number 56) one could suspect that a lot of seasonal variation (Primorski mite numbers went up to 4000 before "anything happend".
    https://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/hal-00891899/document

Interesting to notice that mite numbers went up until June, and after that started to decline. Similar to my personal experience.
    Last edited by Juhani Lunden; 08-19-2018 at 11:48 PM.

Interesting to notice that mite numbers went up until June, and after that started to decline. Similar to my personal experience
    Are you flipping the seasons? June is there winter/late fall. I am going to guess the drop in mites is do to a drop in brood rearing do to lack of forage
    "The climate of the archipelago of Fernando de Noronha, located near the northeast coast of Brazil, is tropical, hot all year round, with a dry season from August to January, and a rainy season from February to July. ... The driest period, in which it rarely rains, runs from September to December."
    https://www.climatestotravel.com/cli...ndo-de-noronha

Quote Originally Posted by msl View Post
    Are you flipping the seasons? June is there winter/late fall.
    I meant the Rinderer 2001a paper, about Primorski.

ahh got ya

I was hired to try and save/treat some hives that were established from packages in the spring. A few had already perished and the ground was covered in workers with DMV and numerous mites. The situation inside most of the hives was even worse. The interesting thing is one hive, despite the situation going on around it, was in perfect shape with no visible DWV or mites and beautiful brood. If it makes it through winter I will ask if I can graft from it in the spring.

The majority of my treatment free hives, have had the typical 'mite explosion' over the last month. Before I blasted them with oav this morning they averaged 3-4% mite infection. I still have a handful of colonies that are from other breeders and still have low mite counts, but I cant rate their resistance because they were previously treated colonies that were requeened this summer. The experiment with resistant stock, for this year atleast, is a failure.

did you see any diseased brood, dwv, or crawlers in the hives that were treated?

Quote Originally Posted by squarepeg View Post
    did you see any diseased brood, dwv, or crawlers in the hives that were treated?
    no actually, I have not seen a single case of dwv this year. The hives seem very healthy and the population is peaking, but the mite counts indicate I was on the verge of mite outs.

"I spend more than 4 hours talking privately about bees with him on the conference being part of a little group interested. He is most generous with all you want to know and how his bees fare in different locations."

I'm sure that was the highlight of his day.
    "Tradition becomes our security, and when the mind is secure it is in decay".....Krishnamurti

Typically I end up doing several treatments on the buckfast/italian stock I have. They always need treatment around this time of year.
    The majority of my treatment free hives, have had the typical 'mite explosion' over the last month. Before I blasted them with oav this morning they averaged 3-4% mite infection. I still have a handful of colonies that are from other breeders and still have low mite counts, but I cant rate their resistance because they were previously treated colonies that were requeened this summer. The experiment with resistant stock, for this year atleast, is a failure.
    no actually, I have not seen a single case of dwv this year. The hives seem very healthy and the population is peaking, but the mite counts indicate I was on the verge of mite outs.
    how did you monitor and how often?
    Are they placed near treated hives?
    Is there drift? When did you treat your treated hives?
    What comb are they on? Treated?
    Are they harvested like the others?
    Last edited by 1102009; 09-13-2018 at 01:48 PM. Reason: more questions.

are you basing your treatment threshold on your own experience or using what is recommended for your location?

Quote Originally Posted by SiWolKe View Post
    how did you monitor and how often?
    Are they placed near treated hives?
    Is there drift? When did you treat your treated hives?
    What comb are they on? Treated?
    Are they harvested like the others?
    1) I monitor with alcohol washes, about every month.
    2) No, they are pretty isolated as far as I am aware.
    3) treated hives are about 15 miles away so I dont think it affects these ones.
    4) comb is a mixture of foundationless they drew out this year, and some came with used hives I purchased from a failed treatment free beekeeper who killed 30 hives (100%) last winter.
    5) there is not going to be a harvest this year because of their swarming and swarm prevention splits.

Recommendation is as close to 0% infection as humanly possible going into winter. These mite levels (3 -4%) is the highest recommended treatment threshold for summer.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast