Bee Bee trees

Thread: Bee Bee trees

Default Bee Bee trees

My wife bought me 5 seedlings for Easter. Planted 2 and will greenhouse the other 3 for fall planting.
    Zone 7a - 1650ft

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Bee Bee trees

Awesome!! I have some seeds but I have been waiting for the best time to plant them. I understand they germinate well and are fairly hardy but the next 10 days here have temps down to freezing 3 days here and there. Don't think the ground is warm enough yet to chance planting them.

How do you know if you have a male or female tree, and which is "better"?
    Zone 5 @ 4700 ft. High Desert

Quote Originally Posted by rwurster View Post
    How do you know if you have a male or female tree, and which is "better"?
    uh oh...?

I won't be able to tell.

I assume one would need both for them to be productive but I know nothing about them except they bloom and bees love them. Seems like they bloom during a typical dearth in my area so I would like to get them established in the forest edges. Maybe they will compete with the privet hedge that is going wild around here.

Mine were not marked as to sex. So I have no idea.
    Zone 7a - 1650ft

Korean Evodia requires a pollinator. I have several big trees here in in Grimsley tn, which is an hour and a half nortth of Chattanooga. They are 5 yrs old this year. Bloomed huge last year. They did not bloom until four years. I noticed this year that had very few blooms though. Anyone else see this?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by westtnbeekeeper View Post
    uh oh...?

I won't be able to tell.

I assume one would need both for them to be productive but I know nothing about them except they bloom and bees love them. Seems like they bloom during a typical dearth in my area so I would like to get them established in the forest edges. Maybe they will compete with the privet hedge that is going wild around here.
    evodia 1.jpgevodia.jpg

I have 3 evodia trees (bee bee tree) that are currently blooming. Two of them have green buds that are getting to bloom. The other one had white buds that are mostly opened up. So, I suspect the male tree are the one with green buds, while the female is the one with the while buds. I think I read somewhere that the male blooms later than the female.

They both bloom and bees visit both.
    The female sets seeds.

I have 5 that are 6 or 7 years old and have been blooming for the past 3 years. The bees visit them all and they've all set seeds. That being said, only two of them have dozens of Evodia seedlings growing under them. I use these as starters but have grown 50 or 60 from seeds also. Also if anyone needs seeds, I have 2 5 gallon buckets filled with the seed clusters.

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Honey View Post
    I have 5 that are 6 or 7 yearothold and have been blooming for the past 3 years. The bees visit them all and they've all set seeds. That being said, only two of them have dozens of Evodia seedlings growing under them. I use these as starters but have grown 50 or 60 from seeds also. Also if anyone needs seeds, I have 2 5 gallon buckets filled with the seed clusters.
    Okay, trying to understand this. Do you know if other neighbors have bee bee (evodia) trees as well? or did yours or one of them came grafted with a female and/or male branch? These are the only way all your bee bee trees can set fruit. This species comes as a male or as a female, unless grafted or planted together as one, just like hollies are planted.

Quote Originally Posted by roberto487 View Post
    evodia 1.jpgevodia.jpg

I have 3 evodia trees (bee bee tree) that are currently blooming. Two of them have green buds that are getting to bloom. The other one had white buds that are mostly opened up. So, I suspect the male tree are the one with green buds, while the female is the one with the while buds. I think I read somewhere that the male blooms later than the female.
    I need to correct this. The green buds trees are the females and the white flower is the male. The white flower tree is dropping the spent flowers and nothing has set. All that remains is the skeleton of the florets. On the other had, the green buds trees kept the buds and look like seed capsules. This the first time those female trees bloom.

Quote Originally Posted by roberto487 View Post
    Okay, trying to understand this. Do you know if other neighbors have bee bee (evodia) trees as well? or did yours or one of them came grafted with a female and/or male branch? These are the only way all your bee bee trees can set fruit. This species comes as a male or as a female, unless grafted or planted together as one, just like hollies are planted.
    There is a GIANT evodia tree about 1/2 mile away. Maybe that is it.