oxalic acid
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: oxalic acid

Default oxalic acid

I'm going to start using an OAV spring treatment.

Do you guys just use wood bleach or do you buy the Oxalic Acid Dihydrate from the suppliers?

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: oxalic acid

Savogran wood bleach is what I use.

I always hesitate to write this, but do make sure that the product really is oxalic acid. It should say so on the label as the "active ingredient.". There's always a chance that Savogran starts marketing some new kind of wood bleach product that doesn't use OA.

Nancy

I personally use oxalic acid purchased from a local bee supply company (picked up in person). Why? partially because I couldn't find wood bleach in my area (would have had to order online) and partially because, locally anyways, the oxalic acid from the bee store cost next to nothing and will last forever so I figured I may as well.

Oxalic acid from bee stores here in the US costs a great deal more than from chemical stores or wood bleach.

NAncy

Quote Originally Posted by enjambres View Post
    Oxalic acid from bee stores here in the US costs a great deal more than from chemical stores or wood bleach.

NAncy
    I just let my wife order it on line it's higher quality and cheep

Quote Originally Posted by Dan the bee guy View Post
    I just let my wife order it on line it's higher quality and cheep
    Cheaper, maybe. Higher quality, well you will have to post the list of ingredients to make your point. I have yet to see any different products from several place to purchase.

Quote Originally Posted by enjambres View Post
    I just looked up prices here. I can get a 12oz wood bleach container for 12 bucks. Google tells me that 12oz works out to 340 grams. I can get a 1kg tub of OA (1000 grams) from the bee supply store for 15 bucks.

The only bee supply store that I am aware of that sells properly labeled OA for US use is Brushy Mountain. Maybe others have joined in now, but initially it was Brushy only and a lot of US Beekeepers felt a good deal of loyalty to Brushy because they went through great expense and effort to get the label approved through the EPA. The problem is that they sell it for around $0.20 a gram, while we can buy Savagran for $0.04 a gram. I now buy the Savagran, but I feel a little conflicted about it. I could care less that I am not using properly labeled product. But I do think we (US Beekeepers) owe Brushy some loyalty points for what they did. I try to buy from Brushy when all prices are virtually the same. I ordered an Ulster Hive from them last year.

Cost for me to get to the nearest 'local bee supply store' is about $70 in gas and a day's drive. I order mine online and usually it's cheaper to buy from Amazon with free shipping.

Quote Originally Posted by Groundhwg View Post
    Cheaper, maybe. Higher quality, well you will have to post the list of ingredients to make your point. I have yet to see any different products from several place to purchase.
    99.6 pure that's what's on the label

I buy the Florida Labs product in 5# bags online, 99.6% pure. I trust it more than wood bleach from the hardware store for purity. Cost per gram is really low in larger quantities, less than .01 per gram.
    Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.

Quote Originally Posted by JWPalmer View Post
    I buy the Florida Labs product in 5# bags online, 99.6% pure. I trust it more than wood bleach from the hardware store for purity. Cost per gram is really low in larger quantities, less than .01 per gram.
    X2

Quote Originally Posted by Dan the bee guy View Post
    99.6 pure that's what's on the label
    Same as what we buy from Walmart. Cost for 16 oz. is $7.76. Or $7.76 for 454 grams = 0.01 cent per gram. Where can we find it online cheaper?
    Last edited by Groundhwg; 04-02-2018 at 07:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JWPalmer View Post
    X3
    Troy 7/12 -6 langs T

Quote Originally Posted by Groundhwg View Post
    Same as what we buy from Walmart. Cost for 16 oz. is $7.76. Or $7.76 for 454 grams = 0.01 cent per gram. Where can we find it online cheaper?
    Good that your Walmart has it our doesn't. Florida labs and I didn't have to pay shipping or drive to get it.

Florida Labs OA is 99.6% pure. Savogran Wood Bleach is 95-100% OA, which probably means it's only 95% pure.

Screenshot_2018-04-02-21-40-16.jpg

I use Florida Labs with the Oxvap 110. Used once per week for 3 weeks on a 12% infested hive from a acquired Nuc in mid Feb.
    Each week had a mite drop 200 +. Last week #4 I counted 2 to 5 on the bottom board. The treatment works. I like the fogging method.
    It is short and does not leave a long duration of treatment from each use. Messing with their odor senses like long term fumigant methods do.
    Just imagine smelling Chlorine in your home for 3 Weeks on end.

Florida Labs bought mine off of Amazon... Put mine in a plastic Folgers can to carry to beeyard works great ..

Quote Originally Posted by psm1212 View Post
    The only bee supply store that I am aware of that sells properly labeled OA for US use is Brushy Mountain. Maybe others have joined in now, but initially it was Brushy only and a lot of US Beekeepers felt a good deal of loyalty to Brushy because they went through great expense and effort to get the label approved through the EPA. The problem is that they sell it for around $0.20 a gram, while we can buy Savagran for $0.04 a gram. I now buy the Savagran, but I feel a little conflicted about it. I could care less that I am not using properly labeled product. But I do think we (US Beekeepers) owe Brushy some loyalty points for what they did. I try to buy from Brushy when all prices are virtually the same. I ordered an Ulster Hive from them last year.

Dadant also carries oxalic acid ( as I think a few other suppliers ) but it comes from Brushy Mountain.
    In my area, urban beekeepers like to complain about neonics and spraying and farmers using off label pesticides, yet they have no issues applying off label oxalic acid treatment into their hives.

I trusted what I was getting from Mann Lake would be the correct product. On the invoice it is listed as OA/Wood Bleach, $10 for 1lb.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast