Attention - Changes to the site newsletter

Default Attention - Changes to the site newsletter

Hello,

We are pleased to announce we are implementing a new method in which we send out site newsletters. The new newsletter will have a cleaner template and sent out to patriating forum members once a week. We have added an example below of how it will look. This change will not have any negative impact on members receiving newsletter and will not impact the site with any downtime.

Thank you,

Community Support

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Attention - Changes to the site newsletter

May I decline to receive the newsletter? It looks like spam to me, so no, thank you.

Nancy

+1 with Nancy, please exclude me from the newsletter.

I absolutly do not want a news letter. Period. I would give up my membership if I recieve one. I don't mind if you want to let others buy into it by clicking on something but leave me out. I let members send me stuff and thankfully, I only get a question or an answer here or there. Those I don't mind but I don't want a news letter.
    Cheers
    gww
    zone 5b

aint nobody need a newsletter

If that's going to replace all the emails every time someone replies to a post I responded to then I'll only need to delete one thing a week without reading it then I'm in.

Dan,

You can turn off the emailed reply function. I did that years ago when it was driving me insane. Look on your profile page for preferences for how to do it.

I agree with gww, if I can't unsubscribe to the newsletter, I will probably leave the site. I will certainly mark it as spam every time it shows up, and with my browser, AOL, if enough people identify something as spam, it is blocked for every user.

Nancy

Thanks Nancy I've never took the time to find the bells whistles and what you have aol didn't know that was still around.

There is an option on the Settings page to to turn off the Newsletter specifically. Its under:
    > My Settings > General Settings > Messaging & Notification
    ... and then un-click the box in front of "Receive a monthly newsletter from Beesource Beekeeping Forums"

Settings tab can be found at the very top of most Forum pages including this one.
    Graham
    USDA Zone 7A Elevation 1400 ft

@Rader,

So I followed your suggestion and went looking around the backside of the site, and found that I have had all these features: newsletter, friend requests, PM, subscribing to threads, and who knows what else, etc., all turned off for a dogs age. No wonder I find BeeSource to be a pleasant, non-social media type of experience.

Nancy

That annoying chatbox is gone now
    Zone 5 @ 4700 ft. High Desert

Quote Originally Posted by rwurster View Post
    That annoying chatbox is gone now
    It sure looked like it was there when I tuned in just now. Are you talking about the one on top of the opening page?

rwurster is referring to another of the options available on the Settings page. Look at the top of the Settings page for:
    "Chatbox options"
    Graham

Quote Originally Posted by enjambres View Post
    @Rader, So I followed your suggestion and went looking around the backside of the site, and found that I have had all these features: newsletter, friend requests, PM, subscribing to threads, and who knows what else, etc., all turned off for a dogs age.

One option that you might like is to turn back on "Subscriptions", but do that by setting it to "Through My Control Panel Only". If you do that, your posts will be shown in the "subscriptions" tab of the "enjambres" tab that is to the right of the "Welcome" at the very top of each page, and also in the "subscriptions" area of the Settings page. You may find that useful to easily find recent posts that you have made.

Also if you happened to have accepted any "friend" requests, those 'friends' posts will be visible in other tabs of that same 'enjambres' page.

(Each member has a customized summary page headed by their member name.)

With that "Through My Control Panel Only" setting, no emails or PMs will be generated by new posts to those threads.
    Graham

Rader,

With all due respect, why would I want to find my own posts? If I want to see if there's a further reply in a thread I have a comment in, then I click my user name on the very top of the page, and there they are.

What made me nuts, until I figured out how to to turn it off, was getting emails every time someone else replied to a thread I had posted in.

I never did the "friend" thing as it's too Facebook-ish for my taste and I turned off the PM part when I couldn't figure out how to manage it. I think I did that a couple of years ago, and I haven't missed it. (In fact when I went to my profile tonight I saw a message from admin that had been there for 6 or 7 months. Who knew?)

I would like to get rid of the chatroom box, though, so I'll go see if I can accomplish that tonight. It annoys me to see it taking up space on my screen.

Now if I could somehow see the recent threads screen again, I would a very happy user. New posts is OK, but not as nice as the old recent threads screen.

ETA: I did it! That ugly chatroom box is gone from my screen. (What made it suddenly start showing up, anyway?) The many other options on that page just baffle me, so except for keeping everything turned to OFF, and otherwise using the default settings, I'm leaving it right where it is. Unless you tell me I have somehow turned off the recent threads screen......?

Nancy

If you really want "recent threads", (meaning just threads started recently - say yesterday and today) it is possible to do that with Advanced Search. One sets the options, saves the options to make them the 'default', and then one can run the search with just 2 clicks - one to get the the search page, and the 2nd to run the search.

Advanced Search page: https://www.beesource.com/forums/sear...?search_type=1

Here is what page 1 of the results look like:

(click image once to see bigger, then after it loads, click again to see really big)

The results above are not with the "default" search options set - one must change the options to what is shown below. Don't forget to blank out the "User Name" box as it will default to your user name, and you want it blank (AKA all users).

Note that I ran that search about 15 minutes after midnight (Eastern), so that skews the "today" results. And here are the Advanced Search option settings I used to get those results:

Once you get the results you like, you can "Save Search Preferences" (lower left of that page) so that it is easy to replicate those same results at a later time.

The Advanced Search page is slow to navigate to if you just click thru from the main forum pages (lots of clicks). But you can save the page URL as a Favorite / Bookmark. In my case I am using Chrome browser, and I have set up an extension button to get to Advanced Search with one click. Other browsers may have an equivalent, but I haven't looked at that. But one can always just use a Bookmark instead.

Last edited by Rader Sidetrack; 04-03-2018 at 10:23 AM. Reason: typo
    Graham

Radar, I too receive the newsletter & the above mentioned box has always been unchecked. Do you have any idea why this might happen?

Thanks
    Beeman
    All things may be lawful; but not all things are advantagous.

Quote Originally Posted by beeman2009 View Post
    Radar, I too receive the newsletter & the above mentioned box has always been unchecked. Do you have any idea why this might happen?

Well, I'm puzzled.

On my own Settings, I have the box checked - expecting to receive the newsletter - and I have never seen a newsletter. I just assumed that none have been sent yet.

But I'd like to see what you got. I have sent you a PM with my email address, and perhaps you'd forward the email newsletter you received to me at the email address I sent you.
    Graham