Need information on nuc feeders.

Default Need information on nuc feeders.

Need information on nuc feeders.

Looking at getting some feeders for nucs. Like the looks of these two but welcome feedback and reviews from folks who have used them.

First is the Lyson from Betterbee: https://www.betterbee.com/nucleus-hi...LYSON-3131.asp

Second one I thought was good is from Kelly Bees: https://www.kelleybees.com/nuc-feeder.html

Thanks for any help.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Visually the first one looks less complicated and easier and better built....cheaper too. If you are at all handy or know someone who is you can build a jar feeder for a nuc. I’ve built a couple and am looking forward to trying them out this year.
    4a

Default Re: Need information on nuc feeders.

The feeder you show from kelley is quite easy to build, and alot cheaper, search fat beeman top feeder

Warning ... I have used niether of these products, therefore I am not qualified to respond.

These products are stated to work with specific other products ( nuc boxes), & if your nuc boxes are of different source, or manufacture, these products may or may not fit or work properly with the others.
    The lyson is for a 6 frame nuc, the kelley is for a 5 frame nuc. Are you using Kelley 5 frame nuc's, or Lyson 6 frame nucs?
    These product descriptions do not give dimensions.
    (just as there is no "standard" for 8 frame hives between manufactureres, there may not be a standard for 5/6 frame nuc boxes)
    from the looks of it, the lyson might be plastic, might be prone to break. ( or might be very durable nylon ... )
    The Kelly appears to be made of wood, which I like. but again, actual workmanship & quality of materials it is made from counts for a lot. the metal pan is probably easy to get replacements for.

Although this is not what you asked,
    Others seem to have had good success with the hive top feeders similar to these designs, for me, not so much. But , mine were super simple home made rigs, pan with bee ladders over an inner cover with a hole at one end, with an empty box & cover to keep outsiders out. ( seems like i drowned a lot of bees. )
    I have also made some nucs with a rectangular hole in the back to fit tightly to my home made "boadman" type entrance feeder type jar holder, & not attract robbers to the hive entrance. ( this pretty much restricted the size jar I could use, & when not feeding, the closures for these openings deteriorated, or are completely misplaced. ugh!!!
    My current technique is an inverted feeder jar through a hole in a cover board. occaisinally I have a leaker, but for the most part it works . I might change to the feeder jar ( or bucket) set on blocks offset from the hole on the inner cover ( with an empty box & lid over it) to help avoid problems with possible leakage, but that would require still more equipment.

If you go with one of these products, I wish you well.
    Please share your experiences. If you have success, I may try to copy what you have done.
    Good luck ... CE
    Started summer of 2013, just another new guy, tinkering with bees.

I own a number of the Mann Lake frame feeders, however rarely use them. IMHO, still too many drownings in a populous hive, hard to monitor syrup level, hard to fill, take up two valuable frame positions, need to open hive to replenish, and syrup can easily get stale in them.

For small hives I like glass jars and big hives I like plastic pails. Feed through a hole in the inner cover or build a 6 inch square with 3 1/2 round hole. Place 1/8 screen between two pieces of 3/4 plywood and place over hole in inner cover. Pics below should help. I often put the jar or pail in an empty super above the inner cover. Glass jars are better for a small hive as pails can dish out syrup too fast resulting leaking or "raining" on bees.

P1010386.jpgP1010385.jpg
    Zone 3b. If you always do what you always did, you'll always get what you always got!

the hole in the enter cover in the heat of summer is for venting the the hive --air circulation--
    if your feeder leaks you will drown the bees --it is best to feed with the feeder-- pail or jar-- setting on a couple 3/4 x 3/4 boards on the side of the inter cover hole-- tilt the hive 5 degrees so syrup if leaks goes to the corner U have to have a box around your feeder

I build my inner covers with a 2 3/4Ē hole in them for jar feeding. Just turn the cover over so the notch is on the bottom for top entrance and ventilation.
    Trying to build stuff to eliminate extra bits here and there when I can.
    Inner covers built like that eliminates needing a board man type entrance feeder and I donít use the frame type feeders. Nothing against them just never bought any.

Barnyard bees.com has some videos on simple and looks effective nuc feeders made from half gallon, and quart milk containers. They are very simlle and look tobwork well. Check them out, most videos are simple and common sense approaches. I think fat bee Man style. "Don kuppenheimer" ouch the spelling..lol. teachings. Fun to look at, and sometimes practical info. For most things on the cheap and effective side of things.

All my nucs have migratory style covers with no inner covers. Each cover has a large hole in the center to accommodate a standard mason jar lid. So I feed nucs with a mason jar with holes in the lid and use a solid mason lid to fill the hole when not feeding. This will also work with a bucket feeder over the hole. Cheap and easy.

I just use the cheapest thing I can find empty plastic peanut butter containers. Just drill a few 1/16 holes in the lid and place over the feed hole. There is no need to spend all that money on stuff you will barely use.

1 pint mason jar with holes in lid made with staples. Invert on inner cover with 2-3/4" hole with #8 hardware cloth covering hole. Cover with a medium nuc body. Works well but does need to be refilled often.
    Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.