Best deep frame feeder out there ??

Question Best deep frame feeder out there ??

Thoughts input appreciated ?

regards
    Brad
    Dad always said " Smart like tractor, strong like bull "

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Best deep frame feeder out there ??

I like Mann Lake’s, which come in various capacity, and which have circular plastic ladders coming down from the access holes to decrease bee drowning. I have no experience with other vendors’ comparable products.

Mann Lake's redesigned frame feeder is the best feeder I've ever used. No dead bees. Easy to open and clean out when done.
    Jerry

All the above is true. I don’t think I would want to try any other tank feeders other than Mann Lakes, unless they were for free.
    Rod

Thanks, I am getting tired of building wood ones.

regards
    Brad
    Dad always said " Smart like tractor, strong like bull "

Dadants 1 gallon work great and are much cheaper. We don't use anything in ours and our bees don't drown as long as we don't pour with bees in the feeder
    Splitting a first year hive successfully https://youtu.be/ZfRTreQ-S9c

I just use any brand black frame feeders that hold about 3/4 gallon of syrup. Mine have the square ladders on one side and I hot glued some screen over the other side. I use a funnel to fill the feeder through that side, so no damage to the bees. I also zip tied the lid to the body because I had one top split from the body due to the weight of the syrup when I first started using them with a package I lost a lot of bees when that happened. These feeders work fine when I find a need to feed and I don't worry about drowning bees anymore.

The Mann Lake redesigned frame feeders have wooden tops, need no alterations to use, the tops don't break apart after a few uses like the all plastic ones. Worth the money.

Swarmhunter - thanks for the tip. Mann Lake feeders look like what I would like to use in the future for frame feeders.

Regarding the Mann Lake feeders. After 3 yrs I am still yearning by trial and failure. Last year, because of a medical issue I could not start again.
    See my current post about wax moths, what a mess. That aside. Previously I used Mann Lake's top feeders and there always seemed to be a lot
    of drowned bees, plus sweet ants. Counter productive in my mind, despite caulking and other attempts to prevent same. They did not recommend their use anymore!

This year when I picked up my new 3 packages from ML at Wilkes Barre, PA (about 40 mins away), I also purchased 3 (10-frame) feeders. They gave me great guidance. I am also using their Pro Sweet. The advice was to place the frame feeder in the center of the hive, with the queen cage suspended with cork and candy downward with a top tooth pick, (careful not to make her a shishkobob)[B] immediately next to the feeder food source![/B]

I did all of that, however, after filling the feeders with Pro Sweet, and installing the wooden tops and submersed "bee ladders" I also added a good chunk of cork, between a US quarter and nickle in size, to float on the syrup.

Three days later, when I removed the queen cage plastic over cover to reveal edible candy, all seemed happy. No obvious drowned bees and some on the floating cork islands and lots of comb, although some in places that I did not want.

Heavy Rain all day today in NEPA. Will check on Queen cages tomorrow. If not out I will help.

The point is that ML frame feeders seem great and I would suggest adding a float cork island.
    Regards,
    Steve
    Last edited by rbcsaver; 04-25-2018 at 09:09 PM.

Hello all, I too have a plastic feeder question. I have used wooden feeders for the past few years and like them, but I did get one plastic feeder last year to try. It is the 10-frame feeder with the two white ends. My question...it did not seem like the bees could access the feed and the ones that did seemed to drown. Should I put floaters in the feed? Maybe I am a bit dim, but I just do not see how these actually work with accessing the feed. Before I attempt to use it again (which may be Saturday), I want to know that I am using it correctly. Thanks for any input.

Just to clarify. Are you talking about a frame feeder, vs a top feeder, which I referred to in my post above. I don't know what "2 white ends" refers to, for a brand. Thew ones that I just purchased from Mann Lake have plastic tube/ladder inserts. These are the ones that I added cork islands for and so far, I haven't seen ant drowned bees.

Thanks rbcsaver. I think I figured it out. Much appreciated!

People are confusing - Frame Feeder with a top feeder - big difference. Mann Lake's frame feeders don't drowned bees. They go along the side of the box not down the center.

Quote Originally Posted by Swarmhunter View Post
    People are confusing - Frame Feeder with a top feeder - big difference. Mann Lake's frame feeders don't drowned bees. They go along the side of the box not down the center.
    I was not confusing them, as I own both. The (older) top feeders built like a super, and sit on top of the hive box. The ones I have did drown many bees, however, I see that their website states "improved." The 3 that I bought this year, and placed corks in the ladders are frame feeders that replace exactly that. Remove a frame and as Mann lake instructed me, with a new package, place the queen cage between a frame and the the frame feeder, in the hive center. That is what they told me in Wilkes_Barre, at the store.
    I suppose that one the package becomes established, it would be best to move it to the outer frame area.
    Before my post, I reviewed the ML website, and don't see anything that indicates a 'frame feeder that goes along side of the box."

Saver