Cheap ebay bee suits

Default Cheap ebay bee suits

What are your experiences with the cheap <$20 bee suits on ebay for a hobby beekeeper with only 2 hives? I assume they are thin and the bees can sting through them? If I wore a jumper underneath would the bees sting me through it?

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Cheap ebay bee suits

I use the ebay suits. the idea is not to protect you from a sting, because they can sting right through it. They work well for holding the veil in place over your head and covering up any areas where the bees might crawl in (like between the shirt and pants). You will learn how to not disturb the bees too much during an inspection so you don't have to be worried about them stinging. I think you have another post about a topbar hive. Those suits are great for those hive types as you are not cracking open the entire colony and disrupting things.

Unless you really want to save money I'd suggest to spend an extra $40 and get yourself something decent.

I second that thought. A time may come when you need good protection--maybe a bear (I guess the Aussie equivalent?) plays havoc with the hives and you need to put them back together as best you can--it is too late then to order a real suit.
    8 years, 8 hives