My first two hives of 10,000 have been ordered :) - Page 5
Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Default Re: My first two hives of 10,000 have been ordered :)

Quote Originally Posted by JWChesnut View Post
    Not trying to troll you.

I am pointing out that beekeeping is a "Medieval" craft where experience and apprenticeship count more than "technical whiz-kidding". The lesson you have not yet learned is humility in the face of experience.
    Beekeeping is evolving daily. You could have 50 years experience, stop for 3 years, and have no idea what is happening. It was one of the hardest things to learn about beekeeping. All the experts had different opinions on everything! Not only different, but contradictory.
    I have to make my own mistakes, assumptions, and triumphs.
    I have been given tons of great advice, that contradicts other great advice.
    All I know for sure is what color my bee hives are, and even that is fluid.
    I also know my goals, and if I do not set them high, I will not achieve much.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by JWChesnut View Post
    Not trying to troll you.

I am pointing out that beekeeping is a "Medieval" craft where experience and apprenticeship count more than "technical whiz-kidding". The lesson you have not yet learned is humility in the face of experience.
    This is going to be a great thread to watch as time goes on.

As one of the oldest beekeeping families in the country, we can report that this youthful exuberance has happened quite often before. Many a "Flash in the Pan" in the last 166 years. Some learn from their mistakes, some don't and fade away. Where do you think all of our different brands of supers came from?

Crazy Roland

Quote Originally Posted by Roland View Post
    As one of the oldest beekeeping families in the country, we can report that this youthful exuberance has happened quite often before. Many a "Flash in the Pan" in the last 166 years. Some learn from their mistakes, some don't and fade away. Where do you think all of our different brands of supers came from?

Crazy Roland
    Personally I would rather be in the try and fail camp, rather than the never tried camp.
    Not everyone is a success at all that they do.
    Those who never try, work an entry level job and demand $15 an hour.
    Last edited by scoobertdoo; 05-31-2018 at 09:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by scoobertdoo View Post
    Personally I would rather be in the try and fail camp, rather than the never tried camp.
    Not everyone is a success at all that they do.
    Those who never try, work an entry level job and demand $15 an hour.
    I prefer the "walk before you run" camp, or the oldie but goodie, "put the cart BEHIND the horse" camp. These approaches have worked very well for me.

I don't think anyone is saying not to try new things, rather suggesting learning beekeeping and getting bees through the entire year before experimenting OR setting lofty goals.

I think your ambition is admirable, but if you do fail, perhaps revisit this thread from start to finish and consider hitting a reset button and start over the old fashioned way. It would probably be a lot more fun too.

I am new at this as well with only 5 years experience. I started out with 1 hive then bought 4 more and lost them all in my second year. Year 3 started with 4 and I've only grown that to 10 (between 2 yards) by my 5th year. I chose the slow and steady approach and really take my time learning the bees. I have been guided by 1 member in particular on this forum and they are what you would consider old fashioned. Let me tell you, the very moment they took me under their wing, beekeeping became less frustrating and more fun, challenging, and as corny as it sounds somewhat life changing.

I would hate to see you fail and get discouraged and give it all up when all you would have needed to do was slow down and enjoy it.

Good luck
    Todd

I sense lots of trite ideological sentiments like what the self help soft cover books are full of.

I put more faith in a somewhat realistic appraisal rather than one which seems to depend for its success upon the odds of catching lift from lofty predictions.

As for insisting upon making your own mistakes, Dad used to say "Learn from others mistakes, you don't live long enough to make them all yourself"
    Frank

1 month to recover from that little setback. I have 8 now, with 6 queens. Next 8 way split in 3 weeks! https://imgur.com/a/X7jYKZt

Great to hear, I think timing for splits is pretty much at the end here in SC. What method of splits are you using?

Quote Originally Posted by Smokeybee View Post
    Great to hear, I think timing for splits is pretty much at the end here in SC. What method of splits are you using?
    Pure walk away. Varroa is reduced by the broodless time, and they seem to make their own queen quite well.
    I can buy queens, and I may buy a few of the hotter VSD resistant queens to add to the local gene pool.

Quote Originally Posted by scoobertdoo View Post
    Pure walk away. Varroa is reduced by the broodless time, and they seem to make their own queen quite well.
    I can buy queens, and I may buy a few of the hotter VSD resistant queens to add to the local gene pool.
    I'm far from an expert (second season newbie), but I've been successful with OTS splits this year, it also uses brood breaks for VM control. Worth looking into.

Do you have enough drawn comb to make 8 splits? The comb drawing season is just about over and I suspect you don't have 40 drawn frames laying around. Keep the feed flowing heavy and you might get a few more by August but I wouldn't bet the farm on it.

I'll be making splits in a few weeks too, but I will be breaking down double deeps to get frames. I am throwing everything I have at them now trying to get that one or two extra frames drawn out.
    Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.

Quote Originally Posted by JWPalmer View Post
    Do you have enough drawn comb to make 8 splits? The comb drawing season is just about over and I suspect you don't have 40 drawn frames laying around. Keep the feed flowing heavy and you might get a few more by August but I wouldn't bet the farm on it.

I'll be making splits in a few weeks too, but I will be breaking down double deeps to get frames. I am throwing everything I have at them now trying to get that one or two extra frames drawn out.
    I am close enough to the ocean that we have a year round pollen flow, and a 8-10 month nectar flow. That is how it has been described to me.
    I saw a worker with wax growing on her just last weekend. I hope to keep expanding. This morning is the moment of truth. I will go see how they are building out. I have 6 that are all alternated(cant think of the word right now) drawn and undrawn frames.
    Our fall flow starts in about 2 months. We will see how much they have done in 7 days. My next check is in 14 days, when I hope to do my next split. Time will tell.

Just saw this and thought of your endeavor.

https://www.beesource.com/forums/sho...INESS-FOR-SALE

It's your head start!
    The question is what to do, and the answer, as always, is complicated by a muddle of reason, emotion, and doubt.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackam View Post
    Just saw this and thought of your endeavor.

https://www.beesource.com/forums/sho...INESS-FOR-SALE

It's your head start!
    No, i'm good. I don't want debt in any of this.
    If I don't have the cash, I dont have the bees.
    I am doing OK, I am just planning how to get 4 pallets from Miami to north florida for less than an arm and a leg.
    Trying to build what I have to do a big split soon. I would like to go to a total of 24 on this next split. Only time will tell, and so will my checkbook.
    I have 4 months to hit my goal of 100 this year. Finances may prevent that, and I may end up at 50 strong colonies. Not bad thou, Cali would nab me about $7500 take home at 50 12 frames. Big dreams, let us see if I have any more setbacks this year. I have a lot of learning to do.
    I just went gloveless this week.

I was always a proponent of think big and at least mediocrity can be achieved. Think small and nothing is achieved. So I am not opposed to an aggressive growth rate.

I am considered an "aggressive" beekeeper around here with how many starts I make. This is my 5th summer and may have about 120 colonies with queens starting with about 40 this spring (and one to begin). After that initial colony I have only bought a few queens. I am TF so that of course has slowed me down as I have higher mortality and am developing the stock as I go. I do lots of culling of marginal stock as well as I am interested in quality and go through a few queens to get it. You can get lots of queens mated but lots will be marginal and won't do much for you.

So its not just a simple mathematical growth rate. You need strong colonies as a backup to ambitious plans. You need to weed out weaker queens or you will be building from weakness not strength. At some point you become the bottleneck in terms of building equipment. Abandon a number goal and make sure most of your hives are strong in numbers and stores, and you have enough equipment and locations to house the next batch of splits. Your bees will tell you what is possible. Listen to them rather than imposing an abstraction on them. They grow in numbers plenty fast on their own.

Come on in the waters fine but be warned its choppy at times to the point of near drowning. Hang onto your boat.

I truly hope you make it but if there are any takers I'll put up a $1000 says you don't make your plan work to the first 1000. Just too good of odds to pass up. Buy all the queens you want but not bees. Just follow your plan as stated. 1000 colonies ready to go at the beginning of 2020 season.

"Hey, Babalugats! We got a bet here."

Why are you getting pallets from Miami? There should be plenty a lot closer. Have you tried Dadantís in High Springs? D&J in Umatilla? Iíd bet building them would be cheaper.

Hey Scooby!

I admire your positive outlook and dream to expand.

We too have a similar dream [but smaller], but we're going about it a wee bit different.

We have only purchased one bee colony, and focused more on splitting and capturing swarms. 99% of our bees are from feral colonies.

Presently we are at 100+ colonies and are preparing to multiply up to 200 colonies, then, hopefully another 200 nucs before September. So that would be 400 total before fall sets in.

What can I say?

Hmmmm....

First, be careful who you share your dream with! A large percentage of the people I have shared my dream with have responded with deep skepticism and negativity! If I listen too much to them, I feel like giving up.

Second, for just my wife and I, it is a lot of work. We have had to hire some helpers.

Third, we made many, many mistakes simply due to lack of experience. If we did everything right for the last two years we would presently be well over 1,000 colonies. So it has been quite a learning experience!

Fourth, it requires quite an investment when considering all the wood ware and equipment.

Last, we discovered we cannot afford to be lax in colony inspections. Gotta stay on top of the bees on a daily basis if we expect to expand and succeed.

Good luck to you and I hope you succeed!

Soar

PS We have received massive help from the beekeepers here at beesource. We are thankful for the people here!

Quote Originally Posted by soarwitheagles View Post
    Hey Scooby!

We have only purchased one bee colony, and focused more on splitting and capturing swarms. 99% of our bees are from feral colonies.

Presently we are at 100+ colonies and are preparing to multiply up to 200 colonies, then, hopefully another 200 nucs before September. So that would be 400 total before fall sets in.
    How long has this taken you? I've got 2 hives right now, with a minimum goal of 80-100 by the time I'm done. However, without flat out buying them I'm not certain the timeframe I should be expecting.

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast