My first two hives of 10,000 have been ordered :) - Page 4
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Default Re: My first two hives of 10,000 have been ordered :)

Quote Originally Posted by scoobertdoo View Post
    Honestly, I had not planned to raise my own. At least not for a long time. I can get queens 25 miles away for now, and hygienic queens later on when I am ready to expand more. I am a firm believer in genetics.
    https://wildflowermeadows.com/produc...-air-shipping/
    Those are ok bees, nothing spectacular actually.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by JRG13 View Post
    Those are ok bees, nothing spectacular actually.
    Have they been tried on a commercial pollination basis? It makes me wonder what the winter losses look like?

Nice! There’s nothing quite like being out on the water on a good day.

This has been an extremely entertaining thread. Thank you 'scoobertdoo'! I hope you continue posting progress, following this thread is almost as addictive as beekeeping. Love reading all the great contributions. I follow and consider many of the commercial beekeepers here great. I am still on the fence about this thread being a hoax though. Time will tell, if scoobertdoo keeps up the posts.

Quote Originally Posted by viclozan View Post
    This has been an extremely entertaining thread. Thank you 'scoobertdoo'! I hope you continue posting progress, following this thread is almost as addictive as beekeeping. Love reading all the great contributions. I follow and consider many of the commercial beekeepers here great. I am still on the fence about this thread being a hoax though. Time will tell, if scoobertdoo keeps up the posts.
    Just read through this whole thread, and I agree with above, not so sure this thread isn't just for fun. But, we all ended up here with hives, be it an idea or a dream. Best of luck with the 10,000 scoobertdoo. I hope you wont end up a "keyboard beekeeper", put in the WORK, and anything can happen...just remember that bees are "farming" and that is not always an easy gig. Please keep us posted...

I am not ignoring anyone's posts. I find all the advice helpful, and meaningful.
    I will not however be spending the next 15 years slowly building up. It is not my thing. I like to place my toe in the water (two hives) and if the water feels good for me, I jump in. If not, I will have two hives, and enjoy the honey that comes from them, as well as a lack of trespassers in my backyard. I get to play with a hive tomorrow, with the local inspector. I picked the right time of year to launch this.
    My black lab however will be staying home, I will upgrade to a yellow lab in a few years, LOL.
    Attachment 38597
    I would clean the dust off that table you have your TV on and the cobwebs between the ears. Your plan is doomed and you are not going to learn beekeeping in 1 year. I am sure this thread is a joke or I sure hope you have a backup plan because you are going to fail for sure. 20 years ago before mites maybe you had a shot but, lets hear from you this time next year. At least it will only take a year for this plan to be revised.

Quote Originally Posted by EastSideBuzz View Post
    I would clean the dust off that table you have your TV on and the cobwebs between the ears. Your plan is doomed and you are not going to learn beekeeping in 1 year. I am sure this thread is a joke or I sure hope you have a backup plan because you are going to fail for sure. 20 years ago before mites maybe you had a shot but, lets hear from you this time next year. At least it will only take a year for this plan to be revised.
    It has been 2 months. I am at 6. Next split is in 30 days to 12. Thank you for your vote of confiDENSE. My backup plan is I keep making 100K a year in technology.
    20180523_120515.jpg

It has been 2 months. I am at 6. Next split is in 30 days to 12. Thank you for your vote of confiDENSE. My backup plan is I keep making 100K a year in technology.
    Getting to numbers is not hard that is just math. But, keeping them alive for a year is the trick. Overwintering is not easy if it was everyone would be doing this. Also the math is a bit short to split the amount of times you want to get to the growth you want. I would just grow slowly and steady and learn. This forum is great but, there is good info and bad and you will have to learn by trial and error what is right and works in your area and for you.

If you want to get big quick. Buy out someone else operation and take the plunge. There is always someone getting out of the business and willing to sell to the right price.

See we are kindred spirits. I run 150-300 depending on my day job work load and contract requirements. I have been doing this for 10 years and glad I have a day job. Someday maybe it will be a retirement thing but, I need to have socked a couple mil from day work. "If you want to be a millionaire beekeeping start with 2"

Quote Originally Posted by EastSideBuzz View Post
    Getting to numbers is not hard that is just math. But, keeping them alive for a year is the trick. Overwintering is not easy if it was everyone would be doing this. Also the math is a bit short to split the amount of times you want to get to the growth you want. I would just grow slowly and steady and learn. This forum is great but, there is good info and bad and you will have to learn by trial and error what is right and works in your area and for you.

If you want to get big quick. Buy out someone else operation and take the plunge. There is always someone getting out of the business and willing to sell to the right price.

See we are kindred spirits. I run 150-300 depending on my day job work load and contract requirements. I have been doing this for 10 years and glad I have a day job. Someday maybe it will be a retirement thing but, I need to have socked a couple mil from day work. "If you want to be a millionaire beekeeping start with 2"
    No doubt! I am going to do my best to keep them alive.
    My method is not to over manage them.
    The place where I get nuks lost about 30% a few weeks ago when they fed all of their bees a sugar water laced with an additive. If mistakes can happen to a 30 year vet of this business, I can have losses too. I am sure I will.
    I am going to keep my treatments to oxalic acid blasts.
    After much reading on scientific beekeeping.com I have decided as soon as I see evidence of mites I will treat every 4 days for 26 days. No less than twice a year.
    I am glad we don't have winter here. I was told we have issues in summer.
    I see one of the issues with summer as being solved by doing my splits. I figure the less bees in the box during a heat wave, the better. Even the bees agree, as they all go outside when it gets hot
    99% opinion 1% science.
    Let us hope that mites continue to not be able to survive oxalic acid vaporizations. If they do, we will have to all start heating our hives....

Quote Originally Posted by tarheel bee View Post
    This cant be real. This has got to be someone spoofing the forum. Somebody's having fun and stirrin the pot
    I am thinking he is working on the most views award (5435 as of now 5/29/2018 midnight). It is either a hoax or a real dreamer. It will be fun to look back at this thread in a year.

Woodbridge, VA (But planning to move to NW Louisiana soon)

I'm pulling for you, Scoobertdoo. Following this thread to watch your progress. (OK, it is entertaining, as well).
    Love your color choice too. Whites and earth tones are sooo boring! My hives are all white and oops earthtones, but you've inspired me to shake things up. I'm going to look for brighter colors on sale.

Quote Originally Posted by Greeny View Post
    I'm pulling for you, Scoobertdoo. Following this thread to watch your progress. (OK, it is entertaining, as well).
    Love your color choice too. Whites and earth tones are sooo boring! My hives are all white and oops earthtones, but you've inspired me to shake things up. I'm going to look for brighter colors on sale.
    Because they refuse to re-tint a mistint I had to figure out a way to do it. I got a lighter color creme, and got a super dark red sample. I made my own pink from a $7 exterior oops can and a $3 sample

Joshua Jaruk.jpg Seen today on a FB site I moderate. Not all is happy in Mudville.

One "commercial" trait Scoober picked up was tinting your hives a custom color, so they are easy to ID at a distance. Knowledge of queens, not so much.

Quote Originally Posted by JWChesnut View Post
    Joshua Jaruk.jpg Seen today on a FB site I moderate. Not all is happy in Mudville.

One "commercial" trait Scoober picked up was tinting your hives a custom color, so they are easy to ID at a distance. Knowledge of queens, not so much.
    You don't have to blank out my name. As I said in the reply below it, My mistakes will be public. Not sure why you posted that here, maybe you are trying to be a troll?

10,000 pink hives, the women will just love you.

Good thing, it is in Florida.

I signed-out, this has been enough fun for this old-timer.

Cheers, Joerg
    Summ Summ Bienchen summ herum

Why didn't you post it here?? Splits have a tendency to abscond back to the parent hives under less than ideal conditions if left in the same yard. I'm betting it's pretty hot and humid in Florida now?

Quote Originally Posted by JRG13 View Post
    Why didn't you post it here?? Splits have a tendency to abscond back to the parent hives under less than ideal conditions if left in the same yard. I'm betting it's pretty hot and humid in Florida now?
    I only posted it there 5 min before he did it here, LOL

You don't have to blank out my name.
    rest assured, your name is still there.

Quote Originally Posted by COAL REAPER View Post
    rest assured, your name is still there.
    It is all over my hives, and I am state registered, and it is there too, and on the local beekeepers club membership list, ECT. I am also a ham, pilot, registered to vote, have an expired DOT number, a diving license, and another dozen federally registered items in same name. There is no point in me trying to hide, everyone knows me already!

Not trying to troll you.

I am pointing out that beekeeping is a "Medieval" craft where experience and apprenticeship count more than "technical whiz-kidding". The lesson you have not yet learned is humility in the face of experience.

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast