My first two hives of 10,000 have been ordered :) - Page 10
Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast

Default Re: My first two hives of 10,000 have been ordered :)

Quote Originally Posted by Hillbillybees View Post
    From 40 to 90 is not aggressive splitting. 10 to 100 is a joke. But maybe he will get to 50 which is still asking a lot but Florida is forgiving. The old pay me a penny for the first nail to shoe your horse and only 2 cents for the second etc would put him at his numbers faster with more knowledge and strong bees that would make a crop and be strong enough for pollination. Make 1 into 3 early every year. 30, 90, 270, 810, 2430, 7290 and finally he has arrived. That is if he keeps every single one alive. He has I hope proven to himself that isn't the case.
    He will not be able to afford all the woodenware and frames to do it. He will need 500,000 frames alone to accomplish this task of 10,000. That's a million plus dollars.
    Its just not going to happen. I dont like to see anyone fail, but. If he had a rich daddy willing to fund him a few million maybe.
    And as for setting high goals at least make them attainable.
    I am tf so my growth rate is slower plus in Canada with s shorter season. Plus I'm just not that good. Plus I am very happy with just linear growth and consolidation at this point. I made a bunch of boxes yesterday, about a 1/10 of what I may need this season. My main concern is comb. Don't have enough of it. This season will be devoted to it. Another thing with expansion is that revenue is always a year or 2 behind but your expenses are up front. I probably won't make much honey this year and can only sell a few nucs as I want to fill up another yard with them.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

1 year status update.
    Due to financial constraints I have been unable to expand as fast as I wanted to. Divorce is expensive.
    I started with 3 nucs last year. One year later I am at 20 full size colonies.
    My bees are making gallons of honey, and I harvest in about 3-4 weeks.
    I hope to be at 8 pallets for almonds this winter.... 32 colonies. If I had the money I could have done another full split and have been at 12 pallets(50 colonies) for Almonds.
    I have also sold about 6 nucs last year. I could have been at 100 colonies if not for financial reasons. Just wanted to post an update.

Woodbridge, VA (But planning to move to NW Louisiana soon)

I am glad to see an update from you.
    Life sometimes gets in the way of our plans, but it sounds like you're still moving forward.
    Keep at it, and keep posting updates!

Quote Originally Posted by scoobertdoo View Post
    I have also sold about 6 nucs last year. I could have been at 100 colonies if not for financial reasons.
    For many reasons, I am not sure you should have sold nucleus, if you are trying to get pallets of bees. If you had more money how would you spend it on the operation?
    Please excuse me, I am now free to go manage & treat ;)
    my ladies the best way I know how.

You would drive 3,000 miles and stay two weeks for 32 colonies? what's that $6,400? $200 each colony or what?

1 year status update.
    Due to financial constraints I have been unable to expand as fast as I wanted to. Divorce is expensive.
    I hope to be at 8 pallets for almonds this winter.... 32 colonies. If I had the money I could have done another full split and have been at 12 pallets(50 colonies) for Almonds.
    I have also sold about 6 nucs last year. I could have been at 100 colonies if not for financial reasons. Just wanted to post an update.
    Congratulations. That is about a 7-fold increase in a single season. Given your other obstacles, I would call last year a huge success for you.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Quote Originally Posted by fieldsofnaturalhoney View Post
    If you had more money how would you spend it on the operation?
    I could make 12 splits today. They would be able to be split in 30 days again. and 30 days after that with enough time to increase into 8 frames for winter. So I could be at 80 to send west if I had the money. I could have also split 4 weeks ago, but again, I haven't the money for the nucs of boxes or frames. However, with honey sales coming up, I hope to make quite a bit from that.

Scoob, do you own a table saw? A single sheet of Advantech, about $33, will make 9 deep nuc boxes. Screened bottom boards, inner covers and telescoping tops can be made for around another $15 per nuc. Way cheaper than spending your hard earned money on pre made woodenware. Foundationless frames are less than $1 each when you by the frames in lots of 100, including a starter strip and wax. I could not easily afford this hobby if I did not make most of my woodenware myself. You know the saying, ya gotta spend money to make money. Best of luck on your splits.
    Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.

Quote Originally Posted by JWPalmer View Post
    Scoob, do you own a table saw? A single sheet of Advantech, about $33, will make 9 deep nuc boxes. Screened bottom boards, inner covers and telescoping tops can be made for around another $15 per nuc. Way cheaper than spending your hard earned money on pre made woodenware. Foundationless frames are less than $1 each when you by the frames in lots of 100, including a starter strip and wax. I could not easily afford this hobby if I did not make most of my woodenware myself. You know the saying, ya gotta spend money to make money. Best of luck on your splits.
    I do not own a table saw.
    I do make my nuc tops myself. Comercial style, and poorly, just out of a 10" board.
    I just got 100 unbuilt frames, but I got foundation too so $2 a frame.
    20190520_205909.jpg
    I have not invested in a table saw, and will not until I build my garage this year.
    I have built a bee pallet myself now too, lol.

Who needs a garage? I set up my wood shop in what used to be the living room. Granted, it was not being used at the time since we built on to our house 20 years ago. Building your own hives is very rewarding in both a financial and motivational way. It also helps if you have a place to store the completed goods. One of the bedrooms in my house became"the bee room". Hive bodies stacked floor to ceiling, extra frames, bottom boards, tops, etc. all on shelves waiting for me. Fortunantly for me, the wife is ok with all this. Something you now do not need to worry about. Anyhow, the point is that you should go ahead and get a table saw with at least 22" rip capacity. Look on Craigslist for a good deal. Then build your own stuff and split to your heart's content.
    Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.

Who needs a garage? I set up my wood shop in what used to be the living room. Granted, it was not being used at the time since we built on to our house 20 years ago. Building your own hives is very rewarding in both a financial and motivational way. It also helps if you have a place to store the completed goods. One of the bedrooms in my house became"the bee room". Hive bodies stacked floor to ceiling, extra frames, bottom boards, tops, etc. all on shelves waiting for me. Fortunantly for me, the wife is ok with all this. Something you now do not need to worry about. Anyhow, the point is that you should go ahead and get a table saw with at least 22" rip capacity. Look on Craigslist for a good deal. Then build your own stuff and split to your heart's content.
    I am about to remodel and upgrade my house. The living room is going off limits to anything more damaging than the dog.
    I will also be getting a new kitchen table, so I can't build there anymore either :P
    My garage will be 24x30 and the back 10' will be my wood shop, AND a commercial kitchen :P 3 sinks ECT.
    Honestly its not that hard to make a commercial kitchen, I read up on it. I really want to sell online, so I have to build one.
    I may also rent it out to food people for prep work.

There is an idea. If zoning permits, you may be able to get a food truck vendor to use the area as their commissary. Could be worth a few hundred a month.

There is an idea. If zoning permits, you may be able to get a food truck vendor to use the area as their commissary. Could be worth a few hundred a month.
    Thats the idea. My neighbor got zoned to wash/detail cars at his house, and I have enough room for a few big trucks in my lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Roland View Post
    Why would you want to catch a swarm? Those bees are prone to swarming. You want bees that build to big hives and do NOT swarm.

Crazy Roland
    you must be jesting, A) you could requeen them and b) that is simply not true.

1 year status update.
    thanks for the update, i am sure lots of folks are watching to see how fast you hit your goal.
    GG

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Goose View Post
    you must be jesting, A) you could requeen them and b) that is simply not true.
    My last queen to swarm I recaptured. They pulled 5 frames of foundation on new frames in a week like nothing. By week 3 they had pulled 10 frames.
    Swarms are great for building comb.

Grey Goose, since this is a Commercial forum, I will reply. I do NOT want any swarms, or their drones. If I requeen, I am still stuck with their drones. If I am trying to steer my gene pool away from swarming, they would be counterproductive. Yes, some strains of bees are much more prone to swarm than others.

My goals are to make large populace hives for honey production. We have been working on that genetic goal for 167 years. Swarmy hives do not put food on the table.

Crazy Roland

Grey Goose, since this is a Commercial forum, I will reply. I do NOT want any swarms, or their drones. If I requeen, I am still stuck with their drones. If I am trying to steer my gene pool away from swarming, they would be counterproductive. Yes, some strains of bees are much more prone to swarm than others.

My goals are to make large populace hives for honey production. We have been working on that genetic goal for 167 years. Swarmy hives do not put food on the table.

Crazy Roland
    Great point, thanks for offering it. I still somewhat disagree, if it is your swarm that build up way faster than you thought and ran out of space, is it a swarm gene queen? if it is,, then the 167 years of pushing away the swarm gene, is not been fully effective. Scoob was referring to catching his own emerging swarm. I presume you are ok with catching your own Swarms, or do you "label" them a throw back to a swarmy gene, and resist? Even in commercial operations, one could have a bit more pollen stored than the Average and a bit more honey bound than the average and a very prolific Queen run out of space and swarm. IMO the queen that runs out of space is not necessarily the one I do not want. Your point is Valid some Genes do swarm more, but IMO not Always the case. As well my point about requeening is valid, Most of the commercial operations I am aware of get 100's of queens and do splits or requeening, Somewhat as a matter of course, 1 or 3 more into a swarm hive would not be a big deal. I do get you do not have the time to mess with them, which I would agree with, As I barely do. As well at some point if you have 100's of hives in you area, for 167 years, the swarms are likely descendants of your hives that swarmed in the past, also your stock. At some level Bees are bees, requeen with your current standard and move forward, Requeen them and sell then to others folks and use the funds for truck maintenance, wooden ware. I understand not wanting them, However IMO they do have value to someone, so unless time is just too scarce use them for what you can. Scoob is strapped they have value to him. 162 years ago when your family was just starting, I bet they cought and kept the swarms. Likely Scoob's great Grand children will have your same opinion
    GG
    Last edited by Gray Goose; 06-14-2019 at 08:34 AM.

Thumbs Up Re: My first two hives of 10,000 have been ordered :)

Crazy Roland
    Roland,
    Very well said.
    My family hasn't been in this honey game as long as your. Our goals are to get the right bee for the job, and make the biggest crop at all cost. Swarming hives are a deal breaker. I can't afford a 1% swarm production. Most comm. operator know management is key to that. 8 frames of brood is more then enough for big honey production. 7 year APH is 147 lbs. This year might be the big one.

Grey Goose.

These 4 swarms in the last 10 days are at my house in a suburban area. I have one Cordovan nuc at my house, shake out package bees and an itinerant Koehnan Queen that was loose on the outside of a package.

On the first warm days , there where NO snoopoers, so all of these bees are most likely from "Beehavers". My yards are 10 miles or more away.

They look Russian to me, not Cordovan , so not mine.

IFFF they where mine, I would not keep them. There is reason to believe that mean hive swarm close, and gentle hive swarm far away. By keeping your own close swarms, you may get meaner bees.

If one our queens runs out of space, we are not doing our jobs, and shame on us. Crowded queens do not lay as many eggs as those with plenty of room to lay. More bee, more honey, right Ron?

I wounder what the price of packages would be if all of those that let their bees swarm this year did not need to urchse more next year?

Crazy Roland

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast