My first two hives of 10,000 have been ordered :) - Page 11
Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Default Re: My first two hives of 10,000 have been ordered :)

Quote Originally Posted by Roland View Post
    Grey Goose.

These 4 swarms in the last 10 days are at my house in a suburban area. I have one Cordovan nuc at my house, shake out package bees and an itinerant Koehnan Queen that was loose on the outside of a package.

On the first warm days , there where NO snoopoers, so all of these bees are most likely from "Beehavers". My yards are 10 miles or more away. Same here no early snoopers

They look Russian to me, not Cordovan , so not mine. I am still not the best at telling what kind they are.

IFFF they where mine, I would not keep them. There is reason to believe that mean hive swarm close, and gentle hive swarm far away. By keeping your own close swarms, you may get meaner bees. I did not known this trend, so meaner must come from crossing itself, I I will hope for the long distance swarms.

If one our queens runs out of space, we are not doing our jobs, and shame on us. Crowded queens do not lay as many eggs as those with plenty of room to lay. More bee, more honey, right Ron? Same I "try" to stop the swarming, most of the time I succeed but it seems some still find they way.

I wounder what the price of packages would be if all of those that let their bees swarm this year did not need to urchse more next year?
    The price for what you actually get is crazy, I wonder what the price would be if there were almost no winter loss? I Know some beehavvers who purchase packages each spring and they do not make the winter.

Crazy Roland
    Comments. in line in your quote. Hope you have a great year. been wet here so I am thinking the dearth will be delayed.
    GG

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

I had some yard work to do near one of the swarm hives( a swarm that landed in empty equipment). Had nearly a dozen (one at a time) "buzzers" that keep flying around my face. Killed all of them, and they where all "Clear with a black butt" .. The abdomen is yellow with no stripes until the end , where it is all black , not banded like an Italian. And they propolize everything.

I can not afford to let those genes into my gene pool, so I will hunt down the queen and strike ALL of the drone brood. A Strachan NWC is to arrive on Thursday. Good ridance.

Crazy Roland

Still in the bee business?
    The question is what to do, and the answer, as always, is complicated by a muddle of reason, emotion, and doubt.

I sure hope that he is. I hate to hear about the divorce but I'm still rooting for ya!

WOW!!!!!! this thread is like a car crash and i cant turn away. when i had my colon surgery i didnt take advice from my surgeon either i explained to him my way was better .

Scooby is an interesting guy. You can follow his exploits by searching Youtube for Scooby's Scoop. Nothing recent regarding the hives but there is some footage of riding a motorcycle in Peru. I don't think 10,000 is going to happen this year either.
    Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.

I was afraid Scooby might be a one shot wonder, I was hoping he would make it to 10,000 so I could learn from him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GUfOZzp1ih4

I'm not sure a commercial kitchen and a wood shop in the same space is a good idea. Sawdust will be in everything.

That 17 years of business experience didn't exactly help you out any huh...

https://www.beesource.com/forums/sho...splits-in-2010

I knew this reminded me of something .. It took me several years to get past the 1000 mark. - Almost 10 years later, I'm at 1300 at Peak Season.

Did you ever make the 100 mark that year? The blog stops abruptly without any follow up. Seems like long ago, wait, it was.
    Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.

Joshua, aka Scooby is on a FB page I admin, this is his most recent update.

I have asked him to come over and give you a first person update.

Beekeeping_Techniques.jpg

Does Scooby know that bees do not see the color red? Hope to hear from him. His latest video titled yellow bird left me puzzled.

--
    Last edited by JWChesnut; 10-30-2019 at 09:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JWPalmer View Post
    Did you ever make the 100 mark that year? The blog stops abruptly without any follow up. Seems like long ago, wait, it was.
    Wow a blast from the past. I have a feeling that his plan was ultimately flawed. There was no way to get there from here.

Scooby acknowledged that he hasn't been by this thread, said he was busy pouring cement for a "garage/honey house"

Today's post by the Scoobs' illustrates his major new expansion.

Beekeeping_Techniques.jpg

LOL
    The question is what to do, and the answer, as always, is complicated by a muddle of reason, emotion, and doubt.

Ah, the doubters are here still today. The expansion is going very well JW.
    The trailer you posted is already spoken for on a hobby farm for next year with 16 colonies on it.
    20191115_171623 (1).jpg
    I now have a second trailer, and I am far from done. These little 12-20 colony trailers will make it easy to find hosts. I will most likely stick to small trailers for a couple years while I keep buying equipment. My honey haul this year will be almost 3000#.
    I am not at the numbers I said originally, mostly because I am selling nucs like crazy. I have sold close to 50 nucs so far. This has helped fund my expansion, but has kept my numbers lowish. I am also moving out of my back yard next year with the bee colonies, and into farms.
    The honey house pad is poured. It came out very nice. Full disclosure its a honey house, with 2 car garage. It will however have a seperate wall, and entry and be an inspected commercial kitchen.
    20191113_095907.jpg

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011