My first two hives of 10,000 have been ordered :) - Page 9
Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast

Default Re: My first two hives of 10,000 have been ordered :)

Scooby posted a short video on his YouTube channel back at the end of Nov. At that time, he was dealing with a pretty significant SHB infestation. No word since then on how his bees are faring.

https://youtu.be/L5D4IyMQTso
    Last edited by JWPalmer; 01-19-2019 at 12:10 PM.
    Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Big Grin Re: My first two hives of 10,000 have been ordered :)

Quote Originally Posted by jim lyon View Post
    According to his profile he hasn't been active on Beesource since September. One can only guess.......
    Jim,
    My guess is he is so busy building equipment and working bees that we will never hear from him again.

He's active on a FB group where I moderate. I believe he is sending 4 hives to California on a pallet. His hive count is 12 or so. He has been bothered by SHB recently, loosing some to slime. He detailed his one single pallet construction (supported on couches in his living room), a painful experience to witness. Lately he's been talking out nuc sales as his route to riches. Most excruciating for me has been his willingness to offer "expert" advice to the more junior newbees on the forum.

JWChesnut,

Thanks for the update. Only 9,988 more hives to go. It won't be long now; the almond orchards will soon be over run with pollinating hives. I wish him well.

Does the acronym SHB stand for Stud Honey Bees?

I think nuc sales could be quite profitable. 5750 nucs sold at $175 ea. should be a 7 figure gross income.

If he makes his nucs like he makes his hive the SHB will love him.

I make a lot of nucs and trying to keep up with drawn comb and still getting large honey production is become a problem for me. It's hard turning down those nucs sales, but with honey prices up over $2.50. It looks like the nucs sales are getting cut this year. 2019 is all about how high honey prices going.

You old men all still alive? Pfft, the rumors of my downfall have been supported by couches for awhile now.
    I got a new leather couch, so everything is built on my kitchen table now.
    I have just sent 8 colonies to Almonds.
    I have two packed colonies left behind.
    Last year I sold 6 nucs.
    I have lost about 6 colonies of various sizes for various reasons. Most likely all neonics. (lol)
    I treated them all for varroa last week.

The plan is to turn the 8 colonies into 30-40 when they return. My goal is to be at 100 by years end, with 50 additional nucs. Split split split, feed feed feed.
    I would like to send 26 pallets of bees 1 year from now.

In case any of you are keeping track, I made 20 colonies from 3, in April, and lost 6 of 20. so 14 successful. Nearly a 500% increase after losses.

Oh, and I suck at growing sunflowers.

I don't think that you are going to get 100 hives and 50 nucs off 10 colonies in one season. The goal of 40 hives from the eight is doable, if they come off of almonds queenright and healthy.

I started last year with 2 overwintered hives and an overwintered nuc. I have sixteen total colonies right now, all with home grown queens. I don't count failed splits or colonies that did not make it to fall or I would say that I made over thirty colonies. Aggressive splitting is not easy and alot can go wrong.
    Last edited by JWPalmer; 01-23-2019 at 07:44 PM.
    Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.

Quote Originally Posted by scoobertdoo View Post
    You old men all still alive? Pfft, the rumors of my downfall have been supported by couches for awhile now.
    I got a new leather couch, so everything is built on my kitchen table now.
    I have just sent 8 colonies to Almonds.
    I have two packed colonies left behind.
    Last year I sold 6 nucs.
    I have lost about 6 colonies of various sizes for various reasons. Most likely all neonics. (lol)
    I treated them all for varroa last week.

The plan is to turn the 8 colonies into 30-40 when they return. My goal is to be at 100 by years end, with 50 additional nucs. Split split split, feed feed feed.
    I would like to send 26 pallets of bees 1 year from now.

In case any of you are keeping track, I made 20 colonies from 3, in April, and lost 6 of 20. so 14 successful. Nearly a 500% increase after losses.

Oh, and I suck at growing sunflowers.
    Hey, best of luck, no one here wishes you any ill will. However, to put things in perspective. Your initial plan was to be at 100-150 a year later and 1,000 at the end of 2019. You are currently at 10 hives and are optimistic you can turn that into 100 at the end of this year. I would second JW's assessment that a one year 10 fold increase is probably not realistic. Perhaps now you can more fully appreciate why you were met with some skepticism at your original business plan but I certainly wish you all the best and admire your ambition.
    "People will generally accept facts as truth only if the facts agree with what they already believe."- Andy Rooney

Quote Originally Posted by jim lyon View Post
    Hey, best of luck, no one here wishes you any ill will. However, to put things in perspective. Your initial plan was to be at 100-150 a year later and 1,000 at the end of 2019. You are currently at 10 hives and are optimistic you can turn that into 100 at the end of this year. I would second JW's assessment that a one year 10 fold increase is probably not realistic. Perhaps now you can more fully appreciate why you were met with some skepticism at your original business plan but I certainly wish you all the best and admire your ambition.
    If I shoot for the moon and miss, I still am shooting very high. Without a super huge goal, I may stop when I hit my lowered goal.

Woodbridge, VA (But planning to move to NW Louisiana soon)

If I shoot for the moon and miss, I still am shooting very high. Without a super huge goal, I may stop when I hit my lowered goal.
    There's always going to be those who are all too ready to shoot holes in others goals and ridicule lofty plans. Keep at it. I admire a goal-setter who picks himself up from setbacks and refocuses on his goal.
    Good Luck!

There is a fine line between genius and madness. Good luck with your plans if you are able to pull it off then you can write the book.

The cool thing with bees is that with some knowledge and practical skills, its possible to get pretty good growth. I'm going from 40 last year to about 90 or 100 this year and am freaking out a bit about how many boxes and frames I have to build. Last year was spent building boxes like crazy for the hives started, this year for the grown up hives. Plus sites to install. Beekeeping will suffer. Easy to keep up with 500 percent growth at the beginning.

The thing that set me back one year was selling nucs. And I wouldn't send my source stock to almonds. Aggressive splitting is asking enough of the bees.

From 40 to 90 is not aggressive splitting. 10 to 100 is a joke. But maybe he will get to 50 which is still asking a lot but Florida is forgiving. The old pay me a penny for the first nail to shoe your horse and only 2 cents for the second etc would put him at his numbers faster with more knowledge and strong bees that would make a crop and be strong enough for pollination. Make 1 into 3 early every year. 30, 90, 270, 810, 2430, 7290 and finally he has arrived. That is if he keeps every single one alive. He has I hope proven to himself that isn't the case.
    He will not be able to afford all the woodenware and frames to do it. He will need 500,000 frames alone to accomplish this task of 10,000. That's a million plus dollars.
    Its just not going to happen. I dont like to see anyone fail, but. If he had a rich daddy willing to fund him a few million maybe.
    And as for setting high goals at least make them attainable.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by scoobertdoo; 03-10-2019 at 11:02 AM.

Someone is not having a good day.
    46.91 N

This really sucks for whosever bees these are. Fortunately this load seems to have tipped over from, perhaps, a decision by the driver to get off too far onto the shoulder and dosent appear to have happened with much if any forward momentum. Regardless, its still gonna be a mess to get everything straightened up, particularly if it happened in an area where some flying bees would be considered by some official as being a public safety hazard.
    "People will generally accept facts as truth only if the facts agree with what they already believe."- Andy Rooney

That pic is of scoobertdoo with his new suit on and using his new smoker!

Notice he has a very big smile!

Those are scoobertdoo's honeybees.

He hijacked them and he's gonna meet his goal of 10,000 colonies MUCH faster than any of us ever realized....

Hijacked truck.jpg

When one has 10,000 hives and no help, reversing 408 at a time speeds things up.
    I have exactly ONE more hive than you.
    That makes my opinion beyond dispute!

That would shorten the time frame from forever to 25 days.

Alex
    Ten years of Beekeeping before varroa. Started again spring of 2014.

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast