My first two hives of 10,000 have been ordered :) - Page 7
Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Default Re: My first two hives of 10,000 have been ordered :)

Quote Originally Posted by R055 View Post
    I was in your shoes about 3 years ago. Tried to jump in right away and bought 150 hives(in April of that year). The beekeeper told me he treated them for mites and I will be good until fall for mite treatment so didn't bother even thinking about mites. Come August the bees started disappearing and long story short I was left with 20 hives next spring. That year I was able to divide enough times to have 130 next spring. 330 this spring which I took to almonds. And have ~600 right now.
    One of my biggest regrets other than killing those 150 hives from in expierence was skimming money on Queens and buying the cheapest mated Queens on Craigslist. Much better now that I've been buying more expensive Queens from a big company in California. Wasted a bunch of time and money on those cheap Queens and only half those hives turned out to be nice good hives. Good Queens+mite treatment+food have been treating me really well.
    Another thing is I could have had about 800 this year but when I brought the 330 back from almonds they were really strong and started swarming almost immediately. I still have my full time job and couldn't get a week off to divide all of them. Many of the hives that swarmed made their own Queens and I thought all is good. The weather when the Queens were hatching was bad andnot having enough time to take care of all the hives many lost/replaced their Queens and slowly died off. Should have bought new mated Queens for the hives that swarmed and would have been around 800 right now.
    Hoping next year I'll be able to get enough money from the 600 to go full time beekeeping or atleast to get the whole spring/summer off to take care of them and grow to 1000 hives which is at the moment my end goal.
    Not sure about going higher than 1000-1200 because of the crazy employee laws/regulations in washington. Want to keep it to just enough work for me and to make a decent living off them.
    Also it was easy going from 20 hives to 130 that year because I had all the drawn out frames from from my initial failed investment. The biggest bottleneck I'm guessing for you will be money or drawn frames. This spring/summer I've been doing my full time job and working on the bees every evening and full day Saturday. Very time and energy consuming.
    Keep in mind you will also need a truck trailer and forklift when you reach about 100-150 hives and want to move them anywhere.
    I somehow missed your post. Very good read, thank you!
    My requeen plan is every 3 generations I will introduce a new series of queens. My luck with the kona/hygienic queens from Hawaii has been amazing. Mixed with local genetics has made me a great apiary.
    I wish I had the cash to buy someone out, but alas, No one was selling 150 colonies for 10K lol. I am glad I started with 3, gave me a few months to learn. I plan to keep learning, and my quitting goal is 500 colonies.
    After that I will go full time beekeeper. I am at a nice spot right now. I spend about 2 hours a week in my apiary with 13 colonies, half the time fighting mosquitoes, one quarter keeping the smoker lit, and one quarter on bees, LOL.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

I have hit 14 now as I caught a swarm (with help) that decided to stop in my backyard while looking for a home. No idea what type of bee they are, they are not the same type as mine. Not at all aggressive thou, so I will keep them. Queen is the smallest I have ever seen.
    https://youtu.be/_cF5QNv3kKY

Small queen could be still a virgin queen. Never did see the swarm cluster but assume it was rather small as you seem to have gotten all the bees in three bucket shakes. That is the best way to increase the size of your apiary. Free bees that come to you!
    Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.

If you can, get a mentor.
    The inspection video was painful, colonlys that still should have been in a nuc spread out across 2 deeps....

You are misunderstanding the emergy theory you working with..
    In small splits like you doing, the limiting factor is not the queen, its bees to tend brood. You need 4 or more frames of bees for good growth. At them point if there is feed and good weather you looking at growing by about 2 frames a week http://scientificbeekeeping.com/unde...ecline-part-4/
    This is why resource hives work so well as you keep them small eunff they stay in expatiation mode and have enuff bees to do it

Expantion advice form what was at the time the bigist beekeeping opperation in the world
    Miel Carlota started with five hives June 5, 1943. In 12 years, they had perhaps 50,000. (According to R.B. Willson, 1955, Gleanings) The growth was amazing. They had huge crops, were extraordinarily progressive, and entered an area with no commercial beekeepers. In their beekeeper’s guidebook, they present a plan for other beekeepers wishing to expand. It’s almost childish in its simplicity. Start by purchasing two hives, then split them every four weeks. You can see how they got to 16, 385 colonies in just one year. It’s the magic of compound interest!
    https://badbeekeepingblog.com/2017/0...gest-bee-farm/

Brood factory's, cell building, mating nucs, and pulling nucs instead of splinting hives

give these a gander and get to building some nucs and divided deeps for Palmer style resource hives
    https://www.beeculture.com/net-gain-...ilding-system/
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_YBy31StyWA
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nznzpiWEI8A
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R7tinVIuBJ8
    Last edited by msl; 08-18-2018 at 11:33 PM.
    The internet is instant, and the internet is often wrong-Kim Flottum

Quote Originally Posted by msl View Post
    If you can, get a mentor.
    The video was painful, colonlys that still should have been in a nuc spread out across 2 deeps....
    I was thinking about this today as I was driving and then come to see my thoughts in print already.

Watching the videos posted was an eye-opener.
    Perhaps the OP should learn a bit about bee keeping. When he's self-sufficient in his yard and doesn't need someone to capture a honey-engorged swarm, perhaps he will be able to successfully multiply his herd and keep them alive.

This is my 5th year and I STILL don't have all the answers. If someone GAVE me 100 hives, I'm not sure that the 100 personalities would be tended to properly.

This post won't deter the OP. Time will though. (I'm rooting for him anyway!)

I just didn't realize just how inexperienced he was...
    The question is what to do, and the answer, as always, is complicated by a muddle of reason, emotion, and doubt.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackam View Post

I just didn't realize just how inexperienced he was...
    Completely inexperienced. Thanks for noticing :P

I have one major factor in my favor. I am constantly in my hives, and when i see something that does not look right, I ask 98,000 members in a beekeeping group.
    I also poll the people at my local beekeepers meeting. Some of them have been doing this for their entire lives. The problem is that no two of them have the same opinions.
    I have yet to find two beekeepers who agree on anything (I find it wildly funny).
    I needed help catching the swarm because I had 0 experience in capturing a swarm, and had no tools to do it. The man I called does 6-10 a week. I am glad he came, he even clipped and marked the queen for me.
    Bo is probably the one I look up to most, and I tend to take most of what he says as fact. It would only make sense I called him, I was glad he was willing to help. I have a great group of beekeepers here, and I am glad to be part of them. I try not to miss a meeting.

Why would you want to catch a swarm? Those bees are prone to swarming. You want bees that build to big hives and do NOT swarm.

Crazy Roland

Great point Roland. I’ve wasted so many hours in the past chasing down swarms. These days I just shake em into a tub of soapy water, No more distraction.

I mentioned early on to "enjoy your bees". Think it was Mark B. who said that in a post to an aspiring beek long ago in a thread. It always stuck with me.
    As you grow there will be more and more times where it is out of duty rather than enjoyment to get things done. But if your heart is in it then the gratification of accomplishing the work will prevail.
    Lot of road to travel in the first couple years. Beyond that i don't know yet, but it sure is a fun ride.
    Best of luck to you.

Why would you want to catch a swarm
    why not, till the op gets his numbers up and can start grafting and nucing he need to make increase any witch way he can... once he hits that point he will be re queening most of his stock anyway
    The internet is instant, and the internet is often wrong-Kim Flottum

Quote Originally Posted by Roland View Post
    Why would you want to catch a swarm? Those bees are prone to swarming. You want bees that build to big hives and do NOT swarm.
    I think the guy was right to grab the swarm for a few reasons.

1 - we have no idea why they swarmed (inexperienced beek not giving them the room they needed?)

2 - He's trying to build his numbers. Even if this wad of bees are prone to swarm, he can split them and spilt them.

3 - He needs the experience. These bees he can play with, experiment with, and if he goofs up, he's out nothing monetarily.

Lastly, he should have done ALL the work, with the experienced beek guiding him. Watching is one thing, a mentor lets you do it.
    The question is what to do, and the answer, as always, is complicated by a muddle of reason, emotion, and doubt.

Quote Originally Posted by Roland View Post

Crazy Roland
    Fantastic question! How can you pass up a swarm in your own backyard? I figured at least they would build some nice comb for me, and I could requeen with a kona/hygienic in a month

I put no stock in swarms anymore, but have had some decent ones. The OP will learn one way or another, it takes bees to make bees.... yes you can continually split weak hives but could you outpace someone letting hives get strong then splitting each one down 8 ways.... don't think so.

Scooby, what you lack in exeperience you more than make up for in enthusiasm and willingness to learn. True there are many different opinions and ways to keep bees, but most all lead to the same net result. Follow the advice that rings true to your heart, but remember that all is good intentioned. If something goes wrong, learn not to make the same mistake. Also remember that if you ask 100 beekeepers and 90 tell you the same thing, the other 10 are probably wrong.
    Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.

It is very hard to remove unwanted genes from the gene pool. Bees that swarm easily do not make as much honey as those that build into large populace hives. Choose quality over quantity for the most efficiency. It will be easier later to double from a fewer large populace hive than to manage a large number of swarmy hives.

Crazy Roland

Quote Originally Posted by scoobertdoo View Post
    Hello everyone!
    After watching my grandfather enjoy bees as a hobby, I decided to take the plunge and setup a apiary.
    My first two hives should be up and running in the next two weeks, and those will be my starters.
    I can set up 12 hives at my home permanently, and for up to 60 days I can have as many as I want (if I am reading the law correctly?)
    Once I have 12 established colonies I will try to find a chunk of AG land to lease from one of many local massive farms.
    I hope to go to 100-150 hives this year, and 1,000 next year. I should be able to quit my job in 2020 and go full time then.
    Yeah, big dreams, right? Well maybe. I ran my own business for 17 years, so I have an idea what is involved.
    Commercial pollination is what I am after, and a little honey for me from my 12 hives at my home

What to you think? A bag of popcorn and watch me fail, or do I seem to be planted in reality here?
    You can do this, but you must buys some bees.

1) make sure you have first year queens in all your hives - every single year #1 importance in beekeeping after defeating varroa
    2) since you are in FL you will need to mite treat like once/2 weeks all year because there is no brood breaks
    3) buy empty drawn comb/boxes for expansion. You will have to buy ~50 full sized hives ($10k) to get to 150 this year
    4) FEED! like... i know in FL there are flows and mini flows, but you will be building BEES and drawing alot of comb. You need massive amounts of feed and maybe even pollen sub.
    5) Feed again I am talking like 1gal/week when not in a surplus honey flow.
    6) be able to sustain 30k debt for a year
    7) going from 150 to 1k is pretty much the same as getting to 150 except the costs are 6x greater plus you will now need a truck/forklift
    Young queens - Tanner Christianson

Scoober,

Who are you getting your queens from? I found one company selling "Kona queens" but they had a minimum order of 20-something...

Scoobertdoo,

I see that in March 2018 you had planned on having 100 to 150 hives by years end. I was wondering if you had an update on your hive expansion from the two hives in March. My ultimate goal is to be at roughly 50 hives and I am hoping for some tips on how to get to that goal.

Hey guys how did the commercial thread get taken over by Beekeeping 101
    Johno

Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast