Top bar hives

Thread: Top bar hives

Default Top bar hives

Can someone please link me to somewhere that I can buy top bar hives in Australia? Does anywhere sell them flat packed so they are cheaper?

I have found a few places that sell cheap flat packed langstroth hives but nowhere seems to sell cheap top bar hives. I am thinkng of building one myself but the more I look into it the more it seems that I lack the tools required to do a proper job.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Top bar hives

Seems like you would only need a shill saw, and mabye a jig saw/scroll saw . Should be easy job, and a bit of time. After I get my langs going with bees in a few weeks, I may try one out too. Looks fun. Good luck 😊!!!
    Lots is simple plans out there, and some really nice ones too...

Yeah, I may end up borrowing some tools and making one myself. I looked at the price of timber, and the price of flat packed langstroth hives is similar so hoped maybe I could just buy one.

If someone has some simple plans they could like me to that would be great!

Phil Chandler and Les Crowder both have free plans online for topbar hives. Just google them. Phil is out of England, so his bars are 17", the standard for the British National. Les is in the USA, so his plans are for 19" bars. I think it is New Mexico Beekeepers that have the plans for Les, along with some other fella's plans for TBH's.

Top Bar Hives are easy to make as there is no critical measurments except the top bars them selves at 35mm. The rest of the body, ends and roof can be made out of any old timber lying around, even old pallets. Suggest you go with the same length of bar as the Landstroph frames so you can start off bars in a Lang if need be, and, or transfer bars to a Lang if the TBH not going to well. The angle of the sides is not critical but at 480mm (19" bars) at the top and 200mm at the base, and 350 centre height the angle will be + - 60 deg

Buy Kenyan Topbar Beehives...https://www.beekeepingnaturally.com....ves-australia/

from the seller:

We flat pack our hives and can send them Australia wide to your door. Included are detailed instructions so that you can easily re-assemble it yourself. We also include info on where to position your hive and how to catch a swarm!

Thanks for the replies!

pahammer I have sent an email to the place you linked to asking about price etc. I have a feeling that I will be building some though, I just need to find some cheap timber.