PVC periscope hive entrance?

Default PVC periscope hive entrance?

I want to keep a hive in my yard and make it a little safer to have around my kids. The best position is in the chook run under some fruit trees, this means that the kids would be walking past each day to water trees or to pick fruit.

I have considered facing the entrance towards the fence (which is a solid colourbond fence) so that guard bees are not an issue. People often talk about placing a screen in front of the entrance to raise the bee flight path. Next door to us there is a vacant paddock. This got me thinking...

Could I make the entrance out of PVC pipe and have it go up and over the fence in a periscope shape? That way the bee flight path would be high and not be crossing my yard at all? The guard bees would be out of sight of my kids? Also, as the pipe would go over my fence the bee flight path would be high enough that anyone walking a dog should not be bothered.

If this works, would I need to drill little holes in the pipe for ventilation and to stop condensation?

I once saw a display hive in a shop with one of these entrances that went out the window, so I know they can work, but am not sure if they would only work short term? The one in the shop had clear pipe, do you think it needs to be clear so they can see or would white plastic pipe work?

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: PVC periscope hive entrance?

One of the members on here, I believe it is Tenbears tried something like that on a observation hive.
    He said that he had to put a nylon strap inside it to give the bees something to climb.

I have not done any thing like this, but I did try a trap out using clear tubing once.
    The light coming through the clear tubing distracted the bees before they got to the end of the tube. I assume your "periscope" could also be described as a "weatherhead" type of arrangment.
    I suspect that there would be a chimney effect with respect of warm air from the hive flowing up the pipe.
    Here in the southern United States, any location not in full sun might be ill advised due to hive beetles.
    Please share how this works out ... thanks, CE
    Started summer of 2013, just another new guy, tinkering with bees.

Hi tech.35058,

yeah 'weatherhead' may be a closer term. I want to get a pipe out the entrance a little, then go directly up until in line with the top of my fence, then horizontally until it gets over the fence.

I recently saw a similar thing in a shop that had an observation hive (except theirs went through a hole in the window). The one in the shop had clear pipe with tiny holes drilled in it. I have white pvc pipe laying around that I could use, but don't know if that would be ok, and also if I would need to drill holes or not.

I am trying to read in the observation hive threads but so far no one seems to mention anything close to what I am thinking. I may have to just try it and see if it works.

drill a hole through the fence

Hi ozbee,

Why had I not thought of that? It is so much more simple than what I had planned!

The observation hive I saw with the clear pipe entrance did have a lot of dead bees in the bottom of the hive. I assume this is because the bees could not carry them up and out through the tube. Would having a short horizontal pipe going through a hole in the fence should be simple for the bees to carry out cleaning activities?