Adding additional Apivar strips???

Default Adding additional Apivar strips???

Hi,
    I have a quick question regarding hive treatment. I recently purchased two nucs and added Apivar strips on both of the nucs, 2 strips per box. Both of the hives were given empty drawn frames to fill the space. From my last inspection, it seems as though one of the hives needs a second brood box. My question is, once Iíve added the second brood box on the hive (using empty drawn frames), should I add additional strips of Apivar to the empty box right away, thinking that the queen will most likely start laying eggs, or should I wait until the queen has laid eggs on a few frames before adding the strips?

Thanks,
    JV

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Adding additional Apivar strips???

I would not, honestly if there were 5 frame nucs when you put in the first strips i think one would have sufficed. But the real way to check is to do a mite roll and see what your infestation rate is at.

Aaron

Thanks for your input.
    Regarding the sugar roll, when would be a good time to do the test? Should I do it right after removing the apivar strips?

As long as they were laying and hatching brood out well, i'd say between one and two weeks after you transitioned from 5 frame nuc box to 10 frame equipment. I would do an alcohol wash for more accurate results.

If you are doing sugar rolls, you can probably do them anytime you want if the hive is populous enough to begin with. But i'd add 20% to my mite findings with sugar rolls.

Aaron

PS here is a quick chart i pulled from the apivar pamplet:
    Number of Frames <5 6-10 11-15 >16
    Number of Strips 1 2 3 4

some reason my spacing doesn't save, the number of strips is supposed to correlate with the number of frames above.

Keep in mind that ApiVar is a contact miticide. Best results stem from placing the strips where they will receive the most traffic for the 42-56 days. If your broodnest is expanding, then where you place the strips today may not have enough traffic in the coming weeks. Effectiveness could be reduced because of this.

I treated 4 nucs last year with ApiVar as they grew throughout the summer. Constantly moving strips as they expanded. I deemed it a treatment failure. 2 of 4 nucs were lost to mites.
    Zone 7a - 1650ft

the directions say if the mass of bees move (cluster or brood area) move the strip to keep it with the bees. But not to add another strip.
    8 years, 8 hives

Thanks y'all. Since I've already added the strips I'll keep them for the time suggested by label. I will move the strips as suggested since I've added a second deep to each nuc and queen has started laying the top frames.

I tested one of the two hives for varroa and found 1 mite / per half cup of bees using alcohol wash. Is that good or bad?