Saskatraz vs. overwintered nucs

Default Saskatraz vs. overwintered nucs

I am currently re-thinking my possibly temporary exit from beekeeping....long story for another day.

My question:

Should I buy overwintered nucs (or even spring nucs, for that matter) from stock that is being raised locally...or take a shot with a strain like Saskatraz?

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Saskatraz vs. overwintered nucs

Quote Originally Posted by George Page View Post
    I am currently re-thinking my possibly temporary exit from beekeeping....long story for another day.

My question:

Should I buy overwintered nucs (or even spring nucs, for that matter) from stock that is being raised locally...or take a shot with a strain like Saskatraz?
    It's always a goof idea to start out with at least 2 hives, so if that's a possibility, I would consider it.
    As for the actual bees, personally I prefer local whenever available. Just make sure that the queen is local. Having said that, I'll be ordering a few saskatraz queens this year to give them a try, been hearing good things about them.

Nothing wrong with local nucs just know what your getting as far as stock goes. Full Bloom Apiaries in CT is a good choice. As for saskatraz I'm waiting on M. Palmer verdict as Mike has the same climate as here. I respect Mike's evaluation so waiting to hear back. But I don't see why you couldn't do some of each?

Quote Originally Posted by Clayton Huestis View Post
    Nothing wrong with local nucs just know what your getting as far as stock goes. Full Bloom Apiaries in CT is a good choice. As for saskatraz I'm waiting on M. Palmer verdict as Mike has the same climate as here. I respect Mike's evaluation so waiting to hear back. But I don't see why you couldn't do some of each?
    Would probably opt for nucs, such as the ones offered by BetterBee. Seems like they know their stuff.

I'm glad to hear you reconsidered!

Nancy

"Local" over-wintered NUC's are highly desirable... and knowing the beekeeper helps as well.

Local stock if you can get it. Overwintered vs. spring always a debate I guess. I sold some nucs last year from my all local stock hives and most everyone wanted a queen raised the current spring as opposed to the ones raised the previous summer and overwintered. Kinda surprised me.
    Mistakes are the best taechers

Hmmm interesting beebeard. I find over weintered nucs to be often close in production to over wintered hives. Spring nucs sometimes lack the zeal and production of second year queens.

I've got both.

If I was starting over, I'd go with over wintered nucs from a reputable source. "Reputable" source means someone that you can trust to sell you a nuc that was started last year and contains a 2017 queen with every bee in the hive being her offspring. Not someone who cobbles together 3 frames of bees and sticks a "store bought" queen in with them.
    The more I learn about bees, the less I know.

I started out with a package and an overwinter from betterbee. Got just shy of 90lbs from the ow hive. The package didn't amount to much but I turned it into a couple of nucs . All seem to be making it through so far.

Source is quite a ways down the list of things to be overly concerned with... While I understand the question, the answer is you should be able to winter both just fine with sound management.

While good stock is important, i think its more about beekeeper practices.

I started tf with Saskatraz queens and along the way discovered local bees do pretty good as well. One hive continuously occupied over 4 winters. Initially the local bees were better adapted to my area with better honey production and stronger in the spring. Over time, as I raised daughters from the Saskatraz queens, their production and strength in the spring have improved. Now I have some very strong spring clusters from this stock. They also were quite hygienic compared to the local stock. Another veteran keeper in the area wasn't impressed with Saskatraz because they didn't build up as quick. But he doesn't raise his own queens and isn't concerned with resistance.

If you are interested in mite resistance, start with local stock, then do some work and see what they are good at. If they are missing some mite resistance mechanisms, consider bringing in stock with those characteristics. The purpose is not to bring in a line that is instantly suited to your area, but to get those characteristics into the local population.