First 'real' swarm of 2018. short video

Default First 'real' swarm of 2018. short video

First swarm of the season for 2018. March 23.way too early.
    I am going to do a follow up video in a day or two. Do an oav treatment with a sticky sheet to see how many mites came with them.
    Stay tuned.

https://youtu.be/E2mfa95f_f0
    Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted. - Emerson

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: First 'real' swarm of 2018. short video

beeman
    Looked like a nice swarm. That is pretty much how I handle it except most times I use a five gal bucket and just shake the bees into it and dump them in the box. When I do this with no lid, about half of them fly back to the tree and I also kill more bees due to roughness but usually once I have some in the box, the rest of then will migrate to the box from the tree. I have did this with the box I put the bees in as far as 20 feet away from the tree.

I have upset them enough while doing it to have an odd bee sting me but it has worked everytime so far. I also set them in the same apary and so far so good. I have really appretiated the cedar tree that is close to my hives that the bees have picked every time so far.

I have two traps hanging right out side my garage and in a place that is easy to see and so I watch those and early season, if I see a bee looking at the trap, I know it is time to walk down to my cedar tree and look and see if one of my hives has swarmed. I hope to get better at doing the things to keep them in the hive but the trap and cedar tree is kinda a nice back up plan while I learn how to do the swarm management.
    Nice vidio.
    Cheers
    gww
    zone 5b

I don't think there's a right or wrong way to do it gww. I usually do it the same way I did this one. A tarp on the ground. A box with at least one frame of old brood comb. In addition, this time I spritzed the inside of the cover with swarm commander and that seemed to get their attention. My one rule is to wait until they've moved in, then immediately move the box. Way too many times I've watched them walk into the box and then I went to do other things and returned to find the box empty. I always figured that returning scout bees lured them to better digs.
    Thanks for the compliment on the video. I've been playing with that recently. I recorded one earlier this morning out at this same swarm hive. I'll have to edit out all of the superfluous stuff and post it....maybe tomorrow.
    Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted. - Emerson

If you post them, I will watch them. I am too cheap to buy the swarm comander but do usually put two drops of lemon grass oil in the hive body that I am putting a swarm in. Your way of hiving them is more fun to watch. It is much easier to see the mad march into your hive then it is to have a bunch of bees in the air that finaly end up in a box. That is pretty cool to watch and I am sure that every time you see it, you say to yourself, HA, I got you.
    Cheers
    gww
    zone 5b