Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Bees with red dot on head

6K views 12 replies 10 participants last post by  Brad Bee 
#1 ·
I have 100's of bees with a single bright red dot between their eyes. I'm guessing that it's probably pollen, but I'm curious as to what type and why the dot? Very symmetrical, round, shiny dot...

And NO it's not a varroa mite.

#3 ·
Not familiar with that one. Read about a particular flower that put a white stripe on any bee that foraged it. I am guessing this is similar. Just did a search, this has been discussed on Beesource before and I believe the consensus was henbit and/or deadnettle.

I am just too slow...

#8 ·
how do you know it's not maple, or plum cherry, or something else without seeing or testing, wow...worthless, you just can't assume it's hencrap or whatever.
to even be sure what it really is you need a scope to id pollen or send it to a palalology lab who does pollen for id...

#7 ·
It very well may be henbit or purple dead nettle, but I don't know ever really recall seeing it before and if I have, certainly not to this extent. I also didn't see any red pollen on any pollen baskets yesterday. Henbit is blooming all over right now though. Box Elder trees are blooming as well, so there's also lots of sage green pollen coming it. I also saw lots of dark yellow pollen as well.

#12 ·
I'll have to try and get a good enough photo to post. Ruth what you posted looks rust colored on my computer. What I'm seeing looks like a pinpoint spot of bright red lipstick, in a perfect circle, right between their eyes.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.