My experience with Ecowood - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: My experience with Ecowood

Slayer

I think I still have a big box of Eco Wood laying around my shop somewhere I'll be glad to send you. Several years ago I read up on some of their literature and requested some samples. I not only received a box of samples I also spoke with them about becoming their exclusive authorized agent in the U.S. We came to an agreement, and they eagerly forwarded me a signed letter agreeing to those terms. At the time no beekeeping supply company advertised their product for sale. I used it on probably 20-30 medium and deep boxes for some of our bee yards here in N.M. After less than 10 years those boxes are now ready for the scrap pile. Our climate here is very dry, little rainfall, and untreated raw wood tends to cup and twist quickly. The Eco Wood was a totally useless endeavor. Additionally it is NOT a wood preservative (read their literature closely) unless they have changed their info. All ingredients are supposedly natural plant based and proprietary (not listed). From what I now know Eco Wood "treatment" is used primarily as an aesthetic application as it does change the color of the wood and creates an aged "patina" appearance. It will not preserve the wood on your bee boxes in the field. I noticed Kelley Bee now advertises it in their catalogs. I'm just glad that their getting the customer service product related calls and not me.
    "Tradition becomes our security, and when the mind is secure it is in decay".....Krishnamurti

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

It's extremely dry here too. If EW sealed the wood, that would be one thing. A few of my boxes have never been painted so I went out to spray paint the end grain on them. The paint didnt stick, the grain literally was absorbing every drop of the paint. I've never sprayed paint on end grain and had the wood soak up 1/4 of the can on just one corner. Those boxes have buckled a bit, shrunk, and one of the sides on one checked... split across the whole warm side.
    Zone 5 @ 4700 ft. High Desert

I like the eco wood treatment it is used to stop rot i have several items tops ,bottoms,boxs i used it on , the only ones that haven't rotted use it now on everything it is a bad feeling burning a bunch of rotted equipment also not fun replacing a bottom board on populace hive because hardly any entrance left because bottom board is caving in from rot

Besides tung oil, Watco oil is a curing oil that is used for fine woodworking and food grade wood items. It comes in a few stain colors.

Reviving this older thread to see if anyone else has some experience with the Eco Wood product?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12