My experience with Ecowood
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default My experience with Ecowood

I thought I'd give this stuff a try, so I got a package from Amazon.
    I'd read various reviews, but here is my take so far.
    I built some nuc boxes and used the Ecowood on two of them. The stuff is literally water thin. I had the stuff everywhere. After I coated my boxes and waited several hours, there was only a very slight bit of grey color to the boxes. So I coated them again. A little darker but not much. I could however tell a difference the second time I coated them. They seemed more waterproof, if that's the correct way of describing it. While I did that, I had a shim/beetle baffle made from cedar. Wow did it really turn grey and after just one coat.
    I had a scrap piece of birch furniture grade plywood and I dipped it into my Ecowood bucket. Today I looked at it and it too had taken on a nice grey color.
    ( I got the grey instead of the brown but would expect similar results)
    I did read something about using this stuff on pine and how it didn't color very well. It's true, it doesn't. But I have to believe even without a lot of color, the stuff is still penetrating the wood and leaving behind whatever it is that protects the wood.
    Obviously I plan to weather test these before using it on my hives. I may use it on a few honey supers, just to use it up.
    I will make some out of pine and cedar to test how it does this year.
    I would be curious to hear anyone else's personal experience with Ecowood.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: My experience with Ecowood

It takes a while for the wood to turn gray. Put the coated wood outside in the weather and see what happens.

I've never heard of Ecowood. Is it a penetrating oil type thing or a waterproofing stain? Sounds interesting

Quote Originally Posted by wasabi View Post
    I've never heard of Ecowood. Is it a penetrating oil type thing or a waterproofing stain? Sounds interesting
    It's a all natural wood preservative. Supposedly never needs recoated. It comes in a powder and you mix it with just water.

Interesting, Slayer. I spent fifteen years designing and building furniture and doin commercial interiors for restaurants, churches and offices.
    We primarily used penetrating oils which cured and stabilized the hardwoods we worked with. My guess would be this product uses wax of some type.
    For beehives it sounds intriguing. I'll check into it further. Is it terribly expensive?

Sounds like it turns the petina on woods that are high in tannins into a grey color. Sounds like theres iron in it, try it on oak.
    Zone 5 @ 4700 ft. High Desert

Quote Originally Posted by rwurster View Post
    Sounds like theres iron in it...
    thats what it smells like, and the unused portion in the jug turns rusty orange after it sits for a few days.

i like how it works on my nuc tops and bottoms, but they don't stay out all winter so i can't say how it would hold up year round.

Iron.....that makes sense.

There is a technique for "aging" new wood used here in the mountains that calls for steel wool and vinegar aged in a mason jar for only a couple of days to make a "stain" that turns the wood greyish

Changing the color of the wood is one thing....but I don't see on the face of it how that would protect or "seal" the wood unless there were flakes of wax or something also added. Does the container list ingredients?

it comes as a powder that you mix with water. there doesn't appear to be anything wax-like or otherwise not water soluble in the powder.

I looked the stuff up lol I make a steel wool and vinegar "finish" that gives wood an aged look when applied. The description of eco wood finish is exactly what I've been making for years. If you want your pines to have a greyer patina, brew some black tea and apply it to the unfinished wood first. That will add tannins to the wood and it will give you a better aged grey color. Oak should turn immediately grey if not black. I use the same mixture as an ebonizing finish for oak.

rwurster,

Red wine cured in oak barrels has tannins galore ....but I would be reluctant to part with it to stain pine....

I've got a couple of hives that I put it on in 2012 or 2013. Maybe it was 2014. It's weathering pretty well. I have one or two boxes that I need to do some minor repairs on. They look really good compared to cheap flat paint that I have used. Bees seem to have done well in them.

Quote Originally Posted by rwurster View Post
    I looked the stuff up lol I make a steel wool and vinegar "finish" that gives wood an aged look when applied. The description of eco wood finish is exactly what I've been making for years. If you want your pines to have a greyer patina, brew some black tea and apply it to the unfinished wood first. That will add tannins to the wood and it will give you a better aged grey color. Oak should turn immediately grey if not black. I use the same mixture as an ebonizing finish for oak.
    Have you used this on any bee equipment or exterior use?
    I does sound like it is similar to the eco wood.

I've used it outside on cedar fencing to help a new section I installed to match the rest of the weathered fencing, and it worked well for that. But that's cedar which weathers well on its own. This stuff sounds like a stain or a dye that's put on wood that will withstand the elements on its own. I do have pine boxes that have never been painted, stained, sealed, and they do ok. This is bone dry Colorado though.

The Eco wood says its product preserves also. Who knows. Personally, I would never use the stuff I make as a stand alone outdoor coating and probably not use Eco wood as I really don't have a use for it. I had to laugh though because the Eco Wood sounded like what I have been making and using for years. My experience is that you have to periodically go back and re-do outdoor wood finishes to keep the wood protected.

I prime and paint all my hives and their associated components.

The hives will darken in the sun. I have a few pine hives that it has been on for about 5 years now. The problem I found is some warping. I mixed the Ecowood then poured it into a plastic hive lid then dipped each side of the assembled hives in it. It just takes a couple of seconds per side then let dry. It works pretty well as a preservative.
    "Of all God's creatures, only the honeybee improves its environment and preys on no other species."--Haydon Brown

Related but somewhat off topic. There are a number of outdoor deck fishes and clear coats out there. Tung oil and linseed oil are alternatives. Then there are penetrating oils with "driers" in them which get deep into the wood and cure. Lots of folks rave about Cabot's Australian Oil which is about 24 usd at box stores... Saw this 34ad4f78-6630-48cb-9d0e-89e452fca9ab_1.543b6a448dfd5c12fe5abd0bb71ad75a.jpeg advertised at Walmart for 22 buck a gallon. Anyone familiar with it. I like the natural look of quality lumber like cypress and am looking for best alternatives. Thoughts or suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by wasabi View Post
    Related but somewhat off topic. There are a number of outdoor deck fishes and clear coats out there. Tung oil and linseed oil are alternatives. Then there are penetrating oils with "driers" in them which get deep into the wood and cure. Lots of folks rave about Cabot's Australian Oil which is about 24 usd at box stores... Saw this 34ad4f78-6630-48cb-9d0e-89e452fca9ab_1.543b6a448dfd5c12fe5abd0bb71ad75a.jpeg advertised at Walmart for 22 buck a gallon. Anyone familiar with it. I like the natural look of quality lumber like cypress and am looking for best alternatives. Thoughts or suggestions?
    I do know people use Eco Wood on their houses and buildings, so if it works for that it has to work on hives. Just my thoughts. From my understanding, it's been around for a while now or at least in Canada.
    I figure for $20 a gallon, it's worth trying.
    I too have heard good things about Cabot Australian Gold, but I was considering buying Behr or Olympic Maximum stain. Both are supposed to protect between 6 and 10 years, depending on whether you get a solid, semi or transparent. That's longer protection than the Cabot. All three are roughly about the same price from the box stores.

It will not stand up to ground contact. I have used it on my hives and it is fine and turns them a nice gray patina after about 6 months in the open. It is easy to apply and fine for a stationary apiary. It will not stand up to ground contact despite the Canadian manufacturers claims. I used it (several coats) on untreated Southern pine as a border for my garden beds. They crumbled after 4 years.

That's good to know about using it on ground contact lumber. But for my uses ground contact wouldn't be a issue.
    I don't know if it's available and if so where to get it, but I can remember my grandfather using creosote for ground contact lumber. I wouldn't use something like that on a beehive, but maybe for something like you were talking about. Maybe something like creosote would be good for a hive stand made of wood. If you could buy it that is. That be something I would be interested in. I'm not sure what's different but treated lumber is not a weather durable like it used to be.

Thanks SLayer,

SInce I have numerous hives to treat I may just get a gallon of each and do an A,B, C Testing of them.

Thanks again for sharing

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast