2018 drones are now flighting now
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thumbs Up 2018 drones are now flighting !

North Ga right below Chatsworth off Hwy 411, with all the winter die offs I've got a lot of splitting and queen making to do in the next three weeks.
    Last edited by UTvolshype; 03-24-2018 at 05:42 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: 2018 drones are now flighting !

Seen drones flying since last week in north Texas area as well. I have done 1 planned and 1 unplanned split so far. I want to have some honey this season so not splitting as crazy as last year.

same here, and i've seen two successful early season supercedures.

You guys down south I took a little walk in my woods didn't go to far kept breaking through the crusty knee deep snow.

We had a few inches of the white stuff last week, melted quickly. Yesterday it got up to 50° and one of the hives had a huge number of drones doing orientation flights. Their loud buzzing was music to my ears. First splits will hopefully be next week
    Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.

Same here. I've seen drones inside the hives for a while, but yesterday I saw drones flying.
    Horseshoe Point Honey -- http://localvahoney.com/

I've seen them flying for several weeks here in Knoxville. My bees seems to produce a lot of drones and I've had a couple of hives lose their queen and go into laying worker mode.
    Beekeeping 6 Years - 12 production hives and about 12 nucs - Treatment OAV Only

this year Oregon had another fun winter, had drones start up in the last week of Feb 2018 here in southern Oregon. I'm involved in the Oregon Master Beekeeping program, and have heard over 30 reports of drones since Feb, and swarms.
    Here this activity usually starts, mid late march early april, swarm season always starts +- April 15th.
    I've made a few experimental splits this month on a gamble that the first week of april 2018 will be warm, clear, so far so good, old man's wishful thinking...
    Just made up the cell builder 3 days ago, going to see if we can make some real early queens here, since the carni drones are already out and about, I mean my carnis are pumping out drones under the medium frames in the deeps I put them in for just this reason. plus these march drones are more sexually mature than those early feb drones at least imo. whatever that's worth.

In Louisville saw some Friday buzzing around making a racket.

Default Re: 2018 drones are now flighting now

Had 2 queens (actually more but kept 2) hatch on 3/1 and both laying by the 16th, was seeing a few drones out the last 2 weeks of February. Found I came out of winter QL in one hive, so had ordered one mid Jan, they kept her 3 weeks and I suspect she was a drone layer as that was all the little brood I found the third week and of course she was missing .. Gave the hive eggs from another hive and ended with and fortunately some drones. No, they weren't the same line.
    Last edited by Western; 03-25-2018 at 06:49 PM.
    “Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the Ark, professionals built the Titanic”

Quote Originally Posted by Dan the bee guy View Post
    You guys down south I took a little walk in my woods didn't go to far kept breaking through the crusty knee deep snow.
    Yep, up here in ME, a few days ago I hauled 250lbs of honey out to the hives in my front field...and decided I didn't want to waste time getting the snowshoes out and putting them on. How deep could it be? Yeah, I was wading through the snow...Spring is still a bit away here...
    If you want to be successful, study successful people and do what they do.
    Zone 4a/b

Excellent reporting everyone. By tracking what beekeepers south of me are observing, I can hopefully find a pattern to figure out how my colonies will be growing.

It's too bad posts don't show the location of the poster anymore. Unless someone knows how to view people's locations without clicking on their name every time. Really slowed things down for me.

More related to the OP, still waiting for the snow to melt up here. Starting to have more days above freezing than below... Edmonton, AB.

You need to exit out of enhanced mobile view. Then you can see the poster's location just like before.
    Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.

Quote Originally Posted by JWPalmer View Post
    You need to exit out of enhanced mobile view. Then you can see the poster's location just like before.
    Thank you!

I am in Middle Tennessee and I have emerged drones in the hive today. Emerged within the last 7 days. I have not seen any flying or on entrances yet.

Excellent thread! Too early for my drones but it is great to see updates as they move north.....
    Since '12 Zone 7a 42.25N 71.00W 17H OAV Amitraz
    Seaside Apiaries

Have capped drone brood, some drones walking around in a few hives, and a few drones seen outside the hives but not many flying here yet. I'm just east of Lexington, KY. Looking forward to grafting queens in the next couple weeks if the weather cooperates.

Finally got into my hives today ( high of 67 ) and saw drones and drone brood in a few hives but no flying drones yet.

I have seen my first flying drones today outside of Philadelphia, in a late April installed nuc.

What is the significance of flying drones?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast