Hiving a swarm -- sensible to cover the screened BB with newspaper (or anything)?

Question Hiving a swarm -- sensible to cover the screened BB with newspaper (or anything)?

I saw this via video lately: a beek, figuring bees being moved from a swarm trap to a deep would prefer dark as opposed to having ambient light from the deep's screened bottomboard, used newspaper to cover the screen. Said the bees'll eat away the paper and'll appreciate having the more-natural darkness for a time (at least).

I'm moving toward solid BBs myself, so this idea appeals to me. As some folks in the Forum have said, maybe a screened BB is good re: ventilation in summer, but otherwise, the nice darkness seems to me more desirable.

Anybody have experience on/thoughts about this? All opinions welcomed .... thx.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Hiving a swarm -- sensible to cover the screened BB with newspaper (or anything)?

Yes, I cover the screen bottom with thin plywood, if not I end up with a cluster on the screen bottom. Once they are established I remove the plywood

Default Re: Hiving a swarm -- sensible to cover the screened BB with newspaper (or anything)?

I've converted all my screened BBs to solid BBs.
    But if all I had was a screened BB and I needed to hive a swarm, I would definitely cover up the screen to keep it dark.

I have never found the open screen to be a problem when hiving a swarm, what I find is the cause of swarms absconding after being placed in a hive is more than one queen in the swarm. If you worry that you may have absconds, add a frame of uncapped brood to the swarm when hiving it. I have never had an abscond when using uncapped brood.
    42 + years - 24 colonies - IPM disciple - Naturally Skeptic

Just slide in the inspection board. Depending on how you hive the swarm you may end up with some bees clustered on the screen, rather than inside the box. Like if the bottom board is off the ground. Or if you shake a cluster and the bees crawl to the box, some will crawl to the screen following the scent or some will land on screen following scent. If the bees setup a fanning zone on outside of the screen you may not end up with any bees in the box at all. You want them to setup fanning zone on entrance to bring the rest in.

I always have the inspection board in my screen bottoms. I rarely keep it pulled out, so its not much of issue.