PSA: Sherwin Williams Ovation Exterior paint on clearance - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Priming question: Is a special primer paint, like Kilz, better for a first coat than just doing extra coats of the exterior paint? Because I have lots of free exterior paint, but I’d have to buy the primer. Is it worth it?

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: PSA: Sherwin Williams Ovation Exterior paint on clearance

Primer seals and fills small gaps. I've always found priming first to look better and last longer than multiple top coats.
    Zone 5 @ 4700 ft. High Desert

Default Re: PSA: Sherwin Williams Ovation Exterior paint on clearance

Quote Originally Posted by Ruthz View Post
    Priming question: Is a special primer paint, like Kilz, better for a first coat than just doing extra coats of the exterior paint? Because I have lots of free exterior paint, but I’d have to buy the primer. Is it worth it?
    Ruth,

On bare wood, primer is an absolute necessity if you are desiring longevity.

Even the Behr Paint Rep/District Manager of Northern California recommends using a primer when using their 2 in 1 Primer/Paint on bare wood.

I have mostly used Zinsser Bullseye 1-2-3 for years, but now I am leaning more toward a top of the line acrylic primer for all bare wood applications.

One of the best is the Kelly Moore AcryShield Exterior Wood Primer 255. But it is really expensive.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12