PSA: Sherwin Williams Ovation Exterior paint on clearance
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default PSA: Sherwin Williams Ovation Exterior paint on clearance

SW Ovation exterior paint is being discontinued (only the exterior) according to the clerk at my local SW store. I bought the last four gallons they had of un-tinted base for $8, then they said since it is not a mistint, they'll tint it for me, so I picked three new colors to add to my apiary and left one white.

If you need paint check with your local SW. If you missed the deal, still be sure to ask about exterior mistints.
    Zone 6B

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: PSA: Sherwin Williams Ovation Exterior paint on clearance

Kewl deal. Usually like 32.00 gal I'm thinking. Im.a glidden guy myself...lol at 8.00 a gal, can't be beat !!! 😊

I have found the Glidden exterior to be the best.. One coat and its covered but I give it two or three. But hey when it's 8 bucks for Sherwin Williams can't go wrong.

The local guys here said $15, I mentioned that I heard $8, he said if I came in the manager would probably go $10 if I took all 15 gallons. I think my house and garage will take 20 gallons.
    Thanks, now I got to paint my dang house!
    “Why do we fall, sir? So that we might learn to pick ourselves up” Alfred Pennyworth Batman Begins (2005)

They were marked $10, but as they had just four left and I was only taking three they said take all four and it'll be $8. I think they just didn't want to be stuck with one gallon. Deal!
    Zone 6B

I have painted houses on and off since 1973. I have had a paint contractor's license for over 15 years.

I will NEVER use Sherwin Williams paint on bee boxes ever again!

I used their top of the line Emerald and every box bubbled within the first year. Total crap and the normal price on the Emerald was like $65 per gallon...a total joke...actually, worse...a total nightmare!

I went back to Kelly Moore [been using them since the 1970's].

Then, recently, I have purchase nearly 100 gallons of Behr exterior from Home Depot as a part of their "Whoops" paint deals. Nearly every Monday, they have large quantities of "Whoops" paint...paint that was mixed inaccurate or paint that the customers did not care for after it was mixed. Prices are $30 for the 5 gallon buckets and $9 for their gallon cans. I always choose the paint that is super light colored and I like the acrylic.

I have picked up a number of the 5 gallon Behr best paint that is normally over $200 per 5 gallons and only paid $35. I am hoping it holds up as good as Kelly Moore's paint!

I will be using the Behr paint on many, many new boxes, tops, bottoms, nucs, etc. I spoke with the Behr rep and he told me many beeks in California are using Behr's exterior with no problems at all.

Sherwin Williams sucks! If someone were to offer me 1,000 gallons for free, I would still pass! And I wish there was an emo so I could flip the middle finger to SW!

Quote Originally Posted by minz View Post
    Thanks, now I got to paint my dang house!
    Brilliant!
    -- Joe
    "Make your own decision and embrace the consequences." -- jwcarlson

2 gal - $10.00 each. Clearance price.

Soarwitheagles?! More like sorewithsherwinwilliams.
    Andy

10 stores in the local area, first one had 15 gallons, I figured I should get 20 since the wife wanted a complexly different color and type (now a stain). I could not find 5 more gallons. This needed to come out about 3 months ago by the way the store clerks described it.
    The Rhoda store does gallons for $8, SW does them for $15. I was at Lowes today and they do them for $9 and Home Depot is also at $15. Obviously I have no experience with Sherwin Williams since I am building from air dried, rough cut Hemlock at $0.40 a board foot and paint is now the most expensive part of the build.
    I do not even use primer but I get Mistint stain for $8, and paint over it with two coats.
    “Why do we fall, sir? So that we might learn to pick ourselves up” Alfred Pennyworth Batman Begins (2005)

I have been hooked on Behr 5050 white for several years.
    Covers very well and is glossy enough to wash off any bee poop in the rain.
    Also nothing to remember other than Behr 5050
    We wait until paint goes on sale and buy 5 gallon buckets.
    I have exactly ONE more hive than you.
    That makes my opinion beyond dispute!

Quote Originally Posted by HarryVanderpool View Post
    harry, is that a one shot or do you prime?

I really like the Glidden premium semi gloss at around $100 per five gallon pail, considerably less than the Behr. I prefer the semi gloss finish over the high gloss. Its still washable and heavy boxes aren't quite as slippery to handle as a high gloss finish.
    "People will generally accept facts as truth only if the facts agree with what they already believe."- Andy Rooney

Covers very well and is glossy enough to wash off any bee poop in the rain.
    Also nothing to remember other than Behr 5050
    We wait until paint goes on sale and buy 5 gallon buckets.
    Thanks for sharing Harry! May we ask what do you use for your primer?

Are you using a Behr product for your primer or do you use something like Zinsser Bullseys 1-2-3?

And finally, how many coats of the Behr 5050 do you usually apply?

I am hoping to get 10 years out of my paint before needing to repaint...

Quote Originally Posted by soarwitheagles View Post
    Thanks for sharing Harry! May we ask what do you use for your primer?

Are you using a Behr product for your primer or do you use something like Zinsser Bullseys 1-2-3?

And finally, how many coats of the Behr 5050 do you usually apply?

I am hoping to get 10 years out of my paint before needing to repaint...
    I like the Zinsser as a primer with a couple top coats of your choice. We use a sprayer but always back roll the corners to properly push the paint into the end grain. If you are painting empty boxes I would suggest turning them upside down to facilitate getting paint into the handles though thats mostly a cosmetic thing as the upper parts of the handles are hardly a rot area.
    "People will generally accept facts as truth only if the facts agree with what they already believe."- Andy Rooney

Quote Originally Posted by jim lyon View Post
    I like the Zinsser as a primer with a couple top coats of your choice. We use a sprayer but always back roll the corners to properly push the paint into the end grain. If you are painting empty boxes I would suggest turning them upside down to facilitate getting paint into the handles though thats mostly a cosmetic thing as the upper parts of the handles are hardly a rot area.
    Thanks Jim!

I have been using Kelly Moore's Acrylic Primer but it is quite expensive, even using discount Costco cards.

I have been brushing on Titebond II on the end grains of the boxes just to be certain we have a good seal, then soak it with primer before applying two coats of finish Acrylic.

I have used Zinsser too but I feel an acrylic primer may last longer...

Still hoping Harry will share his thoughts on primers too!

We have always used Kilz-2 primer.
    I don't know how that rates with others. I suppose I should look closer at others.

As far as repainting boxes goes; we primer and then give two heavy coats of paint with a brush and that lasts as long as the boxes do.
    Our boxes last between 15 and 25 years and then they begin to rot on the top or bottom edges.
    I have NEVER had a box rot out in the finger joints. Always on the margins.

We went for years buying ONLY select grade boxes until the price went through the roof.
    Then we learned a really neat trick:
    First of all, all of our boxes are glued and assembled in a box clamp.
    Once the box is nailed it is layed on one side on the shop floor with the rest.
    Last task for the day is to squeeze out a blob of TiteBond III above each knot and take a 4" putty knife and, with the knife almost laying flat and with very little pressure draw the glue across the knots as a skim-coat.
    This completely seals and hides the knots. They will not cause cracks or fail as they do when untreated.
    Try it! Your boxes not only look like select, they last as long as select as well.

When I first started out 28 years ago a beekeeper told me, "Well, you won't do things the same way when you get big".
    He was wrong.
    We glue, nail, seal knots, paint with brushes, and stencil each box.
    I have exactly ONE more hive than you.
    That makes my opinion beyond dispute!

We have always used Kilz-2 primer.
    I don't know how that rates with others. I suppose I should look closer at others.

As far as repainting boxes goes; we primer and then give two heavy coats of paint with a brush and that lasts as long as the boxes do.
    Our boxes last between 15 and 25 years and then they begin to rot on the top or bottom edges.
    I have NEVER had a box rot out in the finger joints. Always on the margins.

We went for years buying ONLY select grade boxes until the price went through the roof.
    Then we learned a really neat trick:
    First of all, all of our boxes are glued and assembled in a box clamp.
    Once the box is nailed it is layed on one side on the shop floor with the rest.
    Last task for the day is to squeeze out a blob of TiteBond III above each knot and take a 4" putty knife and, with the knife almost laying flat and with very little pressure draw the glue across the knots as a skim-coat.
    This completely seals and hides the knots. They will not cause cracks or fail as they do when untreated.
    Try it! Your boxes not only look like select, they last as long as select as well.

When I first started out 28 years ago a beekeeper told me, "Well, you won't do things the same way when you get big".
    He was wrong.
    We glue, nail, seal knots, paint with brushes, and stencil each box.
    Harry,

Thank you for your reply. I was wondering would your boxes last even longer if you painted the margins? And have you ever tried painting the margins? Or do the boxes stick together in a terrible way if you paint the margins?

I was thinking if the margins were painted and given enough time to cure, maybe the boxes would not stick together and maybe they would not rot out on the margins....

Anyway, thank you for the great idea regarding sealing all knots with Titebond III. We will be certain to follow your good example!

Oh, I forgot to ask you...what do you stencil on each box? Special numbers? Or is it more to help the bees find the correct box as they return? I was thinking about painting stencils on every box and then I could use a notepad and make notes on each specific colony...JRG gave me that idea!

Hi harry, ive been using kiltz2 for years. As a professional painter, custom homes ect. Ijust started beekeeping this year. Im.doing all my boxes with 1 coat kiltz2, 2-3 coats glidden premium in semi gloss, all boxes ect. Are glued, brad nailed as well. As for handles, im using a simple 1×2 , as I don't have all the tooling to cut in handles into box. But they are glued on, brad nailed, and caulked as well as above mentioned painting steps. Every joint is caulked, interior, and exterior as well, and knots are caulked over as you used tb2 . I hope mine last a long time also. Everyone says I'm overkill, but i try to do just like I'd do someone's home I get paid to work on... So mabye it works out on my end as well.
    Any opinions please post.
    Also, I just used butt joints, not great, but i didnt have a saw to accommodate a dado blade. Will get a new one before long, I'll build me a wood shop at my farm in time.
    Thanks, Richard

I'm with you with the Glidden semi gloss, Richard. Tried Behr and its is a marvelous paint but was having trouble justifying the price. Decided to try the Glidden and haven't been disappointed. The oldest we have has been on about 5 years and it still looks fresh and new.
    I have a brother in law that had a house fire and the cleanup process required sealing the interior floor joists with a primer. He said they used some Kilz and then when the store sold out finished the job with Zinsser. He felt the Zinsser was a superior product and visually pointed out to me the difference between the two at least in this application. They are priced about the same so I have always used the Zinsser.
    For those putting on a lot of paint its a good idea to register as a contractor at Home Depot. You have to purchase a lot to qualify for a discount but there is no downside to at least fill out the paperwork.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast