where do I turn in my beehive tool? - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: where do I turn in my beehive tool?

Quote Originally Posted by MikeJ View Post
    Absolutely - if the plan is to see how much I can spend on bees, I picked the wrong "hobby".
    Actually, I didn't take up beekeeping as a hobby, it was to expand on farm income - THAT was the flaw (planning on it as "income").
    I agree with you here Mike. If you are going to keep under about 10 hives, I can't see a path forward to produce enough income to make any of it worth it. I think most successful hobby beekeepers are driven by passion, curiosity, or something else that is non-monetary. I net out about $3.50/pound and am averaging roughly 75#/hive. So if I run 20 hives I am going to clear about $5,000 a year. And if I am going to keep enough vigilance to keep those 20 hives alive through monitoring, testing for mites and treating to keep the mites beat off of them, I am making pennies an hour. I could work less and make more picking up aluminum cans.

I don't do it for money. But I can't exactly put my finger on why I do it.

Fare thee well, Mike.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Great reply sibylle!!!
    I'd say go with your heart on stay in ? A bit longer. I'm a new beek, but my thought is don't give up. But sometimes financially, and more importantly ... emotionally. What can you personally handle? From my days in the service, at 16 yr old... I was taught to not give up, but the world has taught me that sometimes it's better to move on, or stay the distance. Mabye do 2 hives, the best you can be, or 100 and mabye failure. Personal comfort, vs. Personal loss. That's the choices. To me I'm New, and I'll either make it or I'll fail. Won't know till I try it.
    I never look at this as a hobby, it's a financial decision to add bees to my farms bottom line. So I approach it as a business.i can see the enjoyment of a product at the end of the road, but fulfilment of achieving a goal is nice in its own way. Businesses fail, and succeed every day. I may fail, but i look at what things I may be able to change or control, and what I can't. Before I quit something, anything.... then I decided if I can make the improvement work, and if not I move on. It's all about what your goals are in beekeeping, as well in life in general. Good luck, and hope you do well either way. Richard

Actually, I didn't take up beekeeping as a hobby, it was to expand on farm income - THAT was the flaw (planning on it as "income").
    Arguably the flaw was not getting your numbers up.
    The surest way to be loosening money on bees is to keep only one hive. Not every one is cut out to make money beekeeping
    The internet is instant, and the internet is often wrong-Kim Flottum

Quote Originally Posted by MikeJ View Post
    ..........I mainly posted to let the forum know (after 9 years) that (as far as is planned now) I won't be beekeeping..................................
    Since this appears to be your 'swan song' so to speak, I wonder if you had been keeping bees during your hiatus
    from the forums between 2010 and last fall 2017?

Quote Originally Posted by drummerboy View Post
    Really? Is that a NJ thing or some kind of new age rational advise? Hard to know if someone is being funny or serious w/out some 'splainin'......

Despite what our 'throw away culture' dictates; There are many uses for an old hive tool that one could think of besides dumping it into a body of water where it cannot be seen or thought of any longer, except in our dreams and the realities of future generations.

Hey, how many of you folks still have snow on the ground, measured in feet?
    Such is the response when I cannot tell if OP is asking for help, looking for different ways of doing things, expressing his frustration (with who though) or something else. :-)
    If he doesnt want to introspect, then banishing the tool to dark depths of lake, never to be seen any beekeeper or bees is only appropriate.

Yeah, its beautiful outside with all that snow. Reminds me to get out and clean the **** thing. :-)

I so have a scene from exclaber in my head now
    The internet is instant, and the internet is often wrong-Kim Flottum

The “was it mites” question is easy enough to answer. Just do an alcohol wash on the dead mites. If the number is still low, then it probably wasn’t mites. Bees can pass viruses among themselves though, so that doesn’t rule out a virus. Best of luck with whatever you chose to do next!

Dead BEES. I meant.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruthz View Post
    Dead BEES. I meant.
    I was wondering about that!

Mike, I don't keep bees for money and I already have an expensive hobby (airplanes). I do it because I thrive on challanges and learning new things. Bees are still fun, even after losing 3 hives to, dare I say it, mites. Go the swarm route. Hardier bees and no monetary investment. If you truly do not enjoy beekeeping anymore and decide to hang it up for good, I wish you luck in your future endeavors.

For what it is worth, from your description, it sounded a lot more like nosema c. to me.
    Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.

MikeJ,
    Reread your original post and I'm left a little confused. There were several references made to "mites", forensic details, and mite related philosophies. Yet now you seem surprised that the thread has taken a mite centered direction with posters offering their assessments or opinions. Not being critical, just hoping to understand what kind of responses you were actually looking for if you weren't interested in discussing mites.
    To everything there is a season....

Yes, bees are an amazing creation of God - always interesting. As I said - if bees come to me (cutouts or swarms - though had anyone need a cutout, and only swarms caught were mine) I will try again - but I am not planning to sink more money into it. There are a lot of important things money can go for.

Yes, have kept bees all the 9 years.
    Started with 2 packages that grew into about 10 hives. After about 4 years they began dying (was going all-natural at the time). Still think it could be possible, but you have to be willing to become a bee baby sitter.
    Then got 2 packages, those died. Then (if memory is correct) got 1 package - died in one season (2016). Got a nuc - died this last season (1 season). This last one is the OP topic. Picked it up mid-July from the same beekeeper I got the last package from - he regularly treats the bees (think he does 3 a year). So it isn't like they weren't being treated (and as posted - the first roll test was BEFORE starting the treatment - which showed very low mite count).

Gillmore: Yes, I mentioned the history of the colony. No, I'm not surprised at all - that was my point. I knew no matter what, it would by the mites. I won't say it wasn't - but I am not going to say it was since all information I have can't prove it.

That explains a lot natural beekeeping is hard and a good way to kill bees. I killed bees too but I found some bees are better than others. Betcha didn't think you'd stir up this big of a hornets nest or maybe that's what you were hoping for.

Mike, yes they are amazing created creatures, and you have a good plan to wait till you have bees find you. Get your name out somehow that you'd take them, and you will have your opportunity sometime. I wouldn't aim for making money, just making bees to stick around and multiply them a bit. The money will come if you get it right. I wonder if a focus on profit would compromise things along the way starting up.

I think some folks forget that this is a forum, or don't fully comprehend the concept. Forums are all about discussion....wherever the topic may begin, wherever it may lead and wherever it may end. Its about the discussion.

To expect/demand something else would be more like reading and responding to someone's personal blog and be kinda lonely compared to all this insightful and diverse dialogue, no?

I think some folks forget that this is a forum, or don't fully comprehend the concept. Forums are all about discussion....wherever the topic may begin, wherever it may lead and wherever it may end. Its about the discussion.

To expect/demand something else would be more like reading and responding to someone's personal blog and be kinda lonely compared to all this insightful and diverse dialogue, no?
    Well, isn't that something.
    Could it be it's about organized discussion and discussion by topic? how many sub forums are here, 50? hmm.
    why is that?

Those who run off course in nearly every post with half baked theories, gut feelings and world views slipped in wherever they can manage, create the out of context, time wasting, unwelcomed personal blogs!
    No, It's not insightful, it's misplaced and belongs somewhere other than in a Bee Forum.

What would be welcomed by many readers who come to learn of the bees is some insights derived from the claims of keeping bees
    for 40 years. Yes?

You have to wait for fishing season? Does that just mean there's finally water not covered in ice? Maybe you should move south. IDK how the heck y'all keep bugs alive through the winter up there anyway!

ps. Don't turn in your hive tool, find another sucker to buy it! That's what my sister did when she figured out keeping bees was a lot of work and that the stings hurt

Quote Originally Posted by enjambres View Post
    Melissococcus plutonium
    Thank you much for the laugh Nancy. I needed that after the day today was. I'm using that from now on.

Jay

(I'm going to be disappointed if that was autocorrect and not witty humor)
    Zone 6B

Quote Originally Posted by clyderoad View Post
    Well, isn't that something.
    Could it be it's about organized discussion and discussion by topic? how many sub forums are here, 50? hmm.
    why is that?

Those who run off course in nearly every post with half baked theories, gut feelings and world views slipped in wherever they can manage, create the out of context, time wasting, unwelcomed personal blogs!
    No, It's not insightful, it's misplaced and belongs somewhere other than in a Bee Forum.

What would be welcomed by many readers who come to learn of the bees is some insights derived from the claims of keeping bees
    for 40 years. Yes?
    Sorry man, didn't mean to ruffle you up, but TBH; I don't believe you are seeking any such insights, I've not witnessed any evidence of that, nor do I believe the assertions/opinions that have been proclaimed.....Many past postings tell this old man a completely different story.

Would suggesting picking up a mirror before posting denigrating comments toward other's be too confrontational...too rational, too half baked? OR- how about, if you don't appreciate the comments from other's, just keep your comments to yourself, unless you are the person directly spoken too. Just a thought.

Xin Loi dude let the fun begin.

Sorry man, didn't mean to ruffle you up, but TBH; I don't believe you are seeking any such insights, I've not witnessed any evidence of that, nor do I believe the assertions/opinions that have been proclaimed.....Many past postings tell this old man a completely different story.

Would suggesting picking up a mirror before posting denigrating comments toward other's be too confrontational...too rational, too half baked? OR- how about, if you don't appreciate the comments from other's, just keep your comments to yourself, unless you are the person directly spoken too. Just a thought.

Xin Loi dude let the fun begin.
    HaHaHa.
    Remember, the easiest one to fool is yourself.
    Many of us old guys can see right through the smoke and mirrors.

Instead of suggesting people censor responses (it's a discussion board right?) how about sticking to the topic
    at hand and moving the gibberish to Coffee Klatch where is may be appreciated?

Sorry for your loss, MikeJ. You really don't need to buy bees. Swarms and cutouts get you better bees. Everyone I know who buys packages have huge losses year in, year out. All my hives have come from local swarms and cutouts. True, I don't know if that swarm came from someone's Georgia package, but I do know they overwintered healthy enough to swarm, which means they have a decent chance of wintering again. I mite wash regularly and treat as needed, usually once in august, once in november. I spent a number of years learning the ins and outs of the craft and after a bit of a learning curve, I'm doing better. My "wild" bees seem to be quite resilient and I'm on year 3 of zero winter loss with anywhere from 10-20 hives. Never bought a single package.

Hang up the hive tool for a while, take a break, see if you miss it too much. Leave a hive set up with some brood comb in it. If a swarm moves in, you have gained a better opportunity than you can buy.
    Mistakes are the best taechers

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast