Lost hives to storm damage - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Lost hives to storm damage

Brad:

Take a trip to the beach within the next couple of months. Come through Andalusia, Alabama and I will send you back with a free nuc full of bees. Or I might be able to meet you in Montgomery sometime. I had some nucs get mated in the last couple of weeks and should have decent populations by the end of April.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Dang it man. Hate to hear the news about the storm damage. I was thinking about you when Spann was talking about Albertville and Boaz. Hopefully the bees will rebound since it is still early in the year. Hate it about the barn even more. I’m here too if you decide you need any free labor on the bees.

Wade

Thanks for the very kind offer guys. I really appreciate them.
    The more I learn about bees, the less I know.

That stinks. A friend of mine had 2 hives blowover 2 years... In mid spring before they were heavy with honey. They both actually survived. He said the bees remained in the boxes and he just stood them back up.

Depending on wind direction the wind could actually accelerate a bit as it passes around the structure. Not sure about your situation.

Brad,
    Sorry to hear that your hives and outbuildings got tore up. Two years ago I was ground zero for a tornado. Word of warning, watch what you say and what the insurance company does! Especially the adjuster that comes out! I got nothing for my bees by the way. Seems like trying to be fair and honest with the insurance company is like trying to negotiate with a hungry bear, they'll still eat you no matter what. I would however like to find out about that USDA program (anyone have specific information on where to look?). Anyway I transgress... After building back up I had a terrible winter, lost all my hives again. I could almost walk away, like you. I'm just not going to let it beat me, I'm starting again this spring with about a dozen packages, we'll see what this year brings. Good luck putting everything back together, it's slow and frustrating. Don't give up hope even when that insurance money runs out before you're done. I know you've been there before and made it, you can do it again, even better!

Update

I got all the hives checked this weekend. Only lost 3 of the 14. One of them was a dink and the other 2 got cold enough and wet enough that almost all the capped brood to apparently be dead. They had chewed the caps off much of it but had not removed any yet. The brood was still white, but like I said, the caps were chewed. I've read about "demoralized" bees but had never seen what I would consider to be that until today. Those two hives were clustered and not moving at all, despite temps in the mid 60's and intermittent sunshine. The others were all out in full force.

I shook them out and will freeze the comb before placing it in another hive or two to be cleaned out.

Fortunately I had a good winter, only losing 10% of the hives here at home. All other hives are strong enough that I truly belive I could split each one in half and still make a good honey crop on the queenright halves. If I only had enough hive bodies to do that.

Search on Google for usda / beekeeping programs also fsa for the same. Is how I found.

Brad - hang in their - I had Harvey flood 400 of the 450 I had on the ground. I sucked it up - bought 40 after almond bees - split same and trying to get my numbers back up so I feel your pain

Hate to hear that sak.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12