Will 8 frame boxes work as good as 10 frame boxes for swarm traps?

Default Will 8 frame boxes work as good as 10 frame boxes for swarm traps?

Title says it all...

Will 8 frame boxes work as good as 10 frame boxes for swarm traps?

I have a bunch of older 8 frame boxes and I was wondering if they would work as good as the 10 frame boxes. Last year, I experienced tremendous success with the 10 frame boxes used as swarm traps.

Please help me out if you can.

Thank you

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Will 8 frame boxes work as good as 10 frame boxes for swarm traps?

If they are deeps they should work pretty well. Some people have success with 5 frame nucs as traps.

Yes.
    Regards,
    KGB-8Fmed

They work great. This is a truckload of them being picked up last year. The brown are 9 1/8" frames and the green are 11 1/4" frames.

This is the one closest in the previous picture caught using LGO. What would you have had to pay to get that from a package?

8 frame deeps have worked great for me. I always have some sitting out and about in the beeyard.

Yes

Thank you gentlemen. I have decided to transfer all our 8 framer boxes of bees to 10 framer boxes, then use the 8 frame boxes as swarm traps.

The wood I used on the 8 framers was old plywood and the quality of the boxes was really not that good. Our 10 frame boxes are all brand new.

Have a great day and thanks again for helping me make an educated decision.

Up, up, and away!

Soar

Quote Originally Posted by odfrank View Post
    They work great. This is a truckload of them being picked up last year. The brown are 9 1/8" frames and the green are 11 1/4" frames.

Frank, may I ask about those special wires I see on the top of your covers?

Please share with us the purpose, how you make them, and how they work?

I suspect they keep those lids from blowing off during the wind storms...btw, I lost 3-4 nucs a few weeks ago when they blew over, spilled on the ground, and all the bees literally drowned...it was 100% my fault because I forgot to lash them down with tie downs before the storm...

Ollie’s bees love to swarm in my 8 frame deeps!

E4835624-431D-454C-A4B2-37E4B93A9464.jpg
    My opinions are based on whatever OD Frank says because he thinks he knows everything!