Snelgrove Method 2 (Modified)

Hybrid View

Default Snelgrove Method 2 (Modified)

I have done 7 Snelgrove splits this spring where cells were not present, which is the Snelgrove's original purpose for the board. This weekend, I found a hive with swarm cells present so I am attempting to use Method 2 as modified by Wally Shaw.

I placed two frames of capped and open brood in the bottom box, put and excluder over it and placed a super (really just another box of combs that will serve an additional brood box when this is done) then put the SB on top of the super. I placed a brood box with all remaining brood, plus the queen on top of the SB.

I was uncertain of the age of the capped queen cells (only found 2) so I destroyed them.

So in 7 to 10 days I am supposed to remove the two brood combs from the bottom box and replace with a two brood combs from the top box. I am also supposed to transfer the queen from the top box to the bottom box.

My question is: Why does this work? I can't figure out what is triggering them to call off the swarm that would otherwise not be triggered if I had just destroyed all of the queen cells in the box and let them be as they were.

Default Re: Snelgrove Method 2 (Modified)

pms
    I will give this question a go. You have seperated the old bees from most of the brood and the queen. The age groups are also seperated with the bottom being mostly old bees and the top being young.
    I am sure there is much more but I think this is the big one.
    Cheers
    zone 5b

Quote Originally Posted by gww View Post
    pms
    I will give this question a go. You have seperated the old bees from most of the brood and the queen. The age groups are also seperated with the bottom being mostly old bees and the top being young.
    I am sure there is much more but I think this is the big one.
    Cheers
    I suppose so gww. Just surprises me that that is all it takes.

psm
    I suppose so gww. Just surprises me that that is all it takes.
    I am new enough that I won't mind if smarter people add more then what I think.
    You did destroy all the started queen cells didn't you? If not, you did not go far enough and so the above is only part of the picture.
    Cheers
    gww
    zone 5b

Quote Originally Posted by gww View Post
    psm

I am new enough that I won't mind if smarter people add more then what I think.
    You did destroy all the started queen cells didn't you? If not, you did not go far enough and so the above is only part of the picture.
    Cheers
    gww
    I did. The Wally Shaw article is a little vague about that. It seems to say that a newly capped queen cell is ok, but a capped queen cell ready to emerge is not. I don't know how the heck to tell the difference, so I removed them all.

psm
    Be nice if in about a month if you would write your progress and thoughts on this.
    I just love closure.
    Cheers
    gww
    zone 5b