Bear (electric fence?)
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Bear (electric fence?)

OK so it happened. A bear ripped apart my yard (in the middle of the day yesterday and again this morning.) I have one hive left. Gonna clean it up today.
    Anyway whats the best bear fence (for next year.) I'mclosing down the yard this year, but next year I want to install a fence. Has to be solar.
    Thanks in advance,
    Rob

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Bear (electric fence?)

Check out Wellscroft Fence Systems in Harrisville, NH. https://www.wellscroft.com/

They have a bear package. I've been using electrified netting for years, successfully. The snow is three inches from the top of the netting right now, but I still have it on (no ground, so no shock), but it ticks away. I figure the bears may remember the sound (she says hopefully). A few weeks ago when we had bare ground, the fence was putting out 3000 volts (1 joule charger), even though the ground is still frozen.
    Last edited by VickyLynn; 03-19-2018 at 11:56 AM. Reason: joule, not amp

OK, this looks great! Thanks!

Robdm1 - Follow the link below to a good primer on the power needed to deter bears. I used the guide to create my setup.

I live under a constant threat of black bears. It does not help that my property boarders a large water body and conservation forest. The bears destroy my neighbor's bird feeders. I have a trail cam and snap pics of bears roaming around my electric fence. So far, my fence has been working.

http://http://www.bearsmart.com/docs/MFWP-ElectricFenceGuideBears.pdf

Referring to the article:

"Electric fence specifications for deterring grizzly and black bears
    Minimum Joule Requirement: 0.7 or more
    Minimum Voltage Requirement: 6,000 or more
    Minimum Fence Height: 4 feet
    Minimum # wires 5"

Also, you need a voltage meter to test voltage. 6,000 volts will destroy a multimeter. I buried 3 eight foot long grounding rods. A barking dog probably helps too.
    Last edited by keithdiaz; 03-19-2018 at 11:17 AM. Reason: bad link

That's a bummer Robdm1. Are you saying that you still have one hive alive? I hope you are able to protect it or remove it to some place else until you can install an electric fence. Right now with the ground frozen, its a challenge, but if you have snow, it may hold the fiberglass poles with the netted fence until you can sink them in the ground. I discovered my energizer is not working and am concerned to hear that they are already coming out of hibernation. I saw a woodchuck yesterday and that reminded me the bears are soon to follow.
    I have not tried this but some here say that if you have been attacked by a bear, expect it to remember to come back and bait your fence with a piece of bacon to give it a jolt right on the nose. Some use unwashed, mostly empty tuna cans tied to the fence. The idea is to give them a good one on their sensitive nose and they won't come back. J

I've been using this charger now for 12 years and no bear has gotten through it. Several have tried. https://parmakusa.com/product/magnum-solar-pak-12/ I am located in the mountains of western North Carolina and surrounded by black bear. I have replaced the battery twice over those 12 years. I also recommend their voltage tester that gives you a digital readout on the voltage output of the charger.

Last year I used the same link & info as Keithdiaz mentions. Below is a repost of one of my earlier electric fence replys:

Here's some good, basic info about an electrified bear fence and sizing the charger: http://www.bearsmart.com/docs/MFWP-E...GuideBears.pdf

I use the "hot/ground electric fence design" they illustrate, to pretty much guarantee a full voltage shock any time of year. This method eliminates the problem of a poor electrical ground through the animal's feet due to seasonally dry ground, frozen soil, or snow covered soil. It also provides the traditional electrical ground path through the animal's feet, if soil conditions allow. If a hot wire is touched while standing on suitable soil, you get a shock. If you touch any two adjacent wires you will also get a shock.

In a bare wire strand electric fence setup for bears I've read you should have the wires about 8" apart. Mine is set up like this. This is to shock them on their face in front of their ears, where their fur is thinnest and their skin is most sensitive... stopping them just as their head starts to go through the fence between the wires. Reportedly, if they get shocked behind their ears or head they tend to be driven forward at full force and crash through the fence...as if you shocked them with a cattle prod on their rear end.

For my setup I use a 1 joule energizer (12 volt DC, from http://www.kencove.com/), an automobile battery and a 30 watt solar panel with charge controller. My fence system pegs the fence testing meter out at 10,000 volts (the top of it's scale) at anytime of year.
    Zone 5A 2,200 ft.

This is very good information, and I appreciate it. I will be doing my homework now.
    I took a half day off from work yesterday just to clean up the mess (exhausting). Poured gallons of bleach around the area hoping that would help. I had one very strong hive left that I strapped together. When I let the dogs out last night, I wasn’t sure if I could see the hive. I decided to walk up there and take a look. When I got there the hive and stand where gone (WHAT!!!) I found it about 6 yards from where it was. It was still sort of in tacked because for the straps. This morning I just separate the brood boxes and left them open, felt bad, but I know I can’t get rid of the bear untill I have no more hives. Half the hive was gone anyway.

We had this happen a few years ago. our incident occurred in the fall. After the first incident we clean up, the bear came back 3 days later for another snack, that was when we put up the fence.

We set up an electric fence using your typical/average livestock fence. We put 5 rows of wire, 5 feet high in total. Because it was a short run of wire, compared to the typical several thousand feet of cow fence, when we tested it we got about 9000 volts, more than enough to stop a bear. Someone told us that if you really want to stop the bear in his tracks, you put some sheets of steel or galvanized roofing down just on the outside of the fence, that way the bear has all 4 paws well and truly grounded when he touches the fence.

We later switch to the same solar charger that Huck mentioned from Parmak. Testing still showed 8 to 9000 volts, again very small containment area. We have never had another incident with the bears, but I cannot say if that is because of the fence or because he learn his lesson. Regardless, the fence will stay in place just in case.
    Starting over in my 6th year of beekeeping, had a couple of bad winters

What is the average square feet of the bee yard for the folks responding to this? This is a hobby so I keep between 3-6 hives depending on the winter. I’m thinking once I reconstruct my area for the fence my bee yard should be about 200 square +/- square feet.

I think my fence is currently 20 to 25 feet per side, so 400-500 square
    Starting over in my 6th year of beekeeping, had a couple of bad winters

Mine is 16ft X 16ft (256 sq. ft. ) ....for now
    Zone 5A 2,200 ft.

Mine is 50' x 55'.
    Sorry it is side ways.
    Bear_Fence_2[1].jpg
    Last edited by Hoot Owl Lane Bees; 03-20-2018 at 11:14 AM. Reason: no picture?
    Zone 6b 1400'

Also 16' X 16', four cattle panels. Flat spots are high value on the flank of Pikes Peak, all hand dug with pick and shovel. Contains twelve 10 F Langs. Crowded? yes! Or I could say "compact".

Steve

Well I was cleaning the remains of my last hive when I had a visitor yesterday

bCapture.JPG

Sorry for your bee loss, but cool picture

Mine is 32 x 32 = 1024

Used the ParMak 12 Magnum solar charger, 2 cattle panels per side from Tractor Supply (one cattle panel per side would get you a little over your target, 256). Used T-Posts with UV shielded electrical conduit over the posts for my insulators. Held the panels up with stainless hose clamps. Landscape stapled chicken wire to the ground. Weaved copper wire in/out down the center of the chicken wire - attached to all three ground rods. Used a heavy gauge galvanized wire to weave around the cattle panels and tied that to the HOT side of the fence. I typically get readings of 10400 volts around the fence on my tester. Max is 11,000 which I have seen a few times.

Shout out to BearCreekSteve for answering a bunch of questions for me before I started my project.

Video made upon completion of the bee yard. No bear visits yet, but they have been within 800 yards or so from it to demolish a swarm trap.

https://youtu.be/fgodWK3lPf0

PAHunter62

PAHunter,
    Thanks for the shout-out! Your fence looks great and seems to be doing it's job.

Here's a copy of my original post on BeeSource from 8 or 9 years ago. It has bears around it every year and it has never been breached.

ELECTRIC BEAR FENCE FOR BEE YARDS

I live in bear country and before I got my first colony I built my bear fence. It consists of three 16'X4' cattle panels, one cut in half to make a 8'X16' yard. Four corners consist of heavy steel pipe with fiber optics conduit slid over as an insulator. The cattle panels are secured to the insulation and off the ground. The panels are wired together with bare copper wire and soldered. This is the "hot" side.
    I use a Paramak brand Magnum 12 volt solar fence charger which is expensive but of reliable quality to charge the system. (Shop for best $)
    CO is very arid so I put an 18" wide "skirt" of sheet metal on the ground 6" outside the cattle panels & spiked to the ground. Chicken wire as suggested above would work. The fence charger is grounded to an 8' copper clad ground rod & all of the "skirt" is bare copper wired/soldered together & tied to the ground rod. System has been tested by the bears & it works well. Look at http://www.kencove.com/fence/76_Bear+Fence_resource.php for info. Good luck & be safe. Next time ask me what I did with the bear in my kitchen.

Steve

Been meaning to say thanks for the design tips. Had this fence up since June. Parmak has been working great.
    85A0FC4A-FC5C-4FAD-83ED-4CD2B61BDBAC.jpg

My ParMak has worked great too. This winter it blew a module inside the fencer. I took it to Kencove in Blairsville, PA - they fixed it in about an hour so I could get it back up. I'm fortunate to have a good repair center close by my apiary.

Setup looks very similar to mine JAMIII, good Job! Do you take readings on the grid? if so, how many volts?

PAHunter62

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast