Sam comfort 2018 video
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Sam comfort 2018 video

There hasn't been much new form him in a bit so I thought maybe it was time for a positive video
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_YBy31StyWA
    more or less his same talk
    but at the 1hr mark or so he goes in to his use of shallow warre mateing nucs and his cell builders.
    I wonder why we don't see more people runing set ups like this(not just TF fokes) it seems like a cost and resource effecent way to grow or learn grafting. Sure its non standard equipment, but lots of people run miny nucs that don't fit in to langs (and pay a prity penny), and these can be stacked up to over winter, or zip tied to a lang top bar to grow out
    Math on his combs works out to about 0.45 of a deep, so his nucs = about 3.5 deep frames, cell builders 7

I cut the parts for a dozen or so about this time last year but with the massive influx of nearly free lang gear I had I never got around to stapling them up... Maby this year...

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Sam comfort 2018 video

I donīt watch much of these videos, mostly they are not worth it, but

THIS VIDEO IS SURELY WORTH WATCHING if you are a beginner or interested in beekeeping in general

great talent is explaining his life with bees
    sound is clear
    jokes in between
    heaps of information (actually truckloads of it)

Thanks for posting the link!

I just watched it while I was driving from place to place. Definitely worth the time. I had not heard his entire story so that was fun. Really enjoyed seeing the mini mating nucs. I forgot that he used bamboo skewers for the bars and had never heard about using the foil bubble wrap, which I have a lot of. Guess I found the top for my medium long Lang this year :-)

Listening to SC is addictive.
    I can even understand his machine gun English.
    I have heard the song about the Varroa mite before and I and my co-workers will sing it together when we drive to the conference of treatment free beekeeping.
    ( Perhaps I can take my guitar and find a german version )

msl
    I watched it also. I did not hear it in the vidio but may have missed it, do you know if sam uses crush and strain for his honey harvest? I did hear the , he got a couple of tons and I did get his comment on modern bee keeping using centrifical force to extract but did not hear what he does to get his couple of ton.
    Thanks for posting.
    gww
    zone 5b

Quote Originally Posted by gww View Post
    msl
    I watched it also. I did not hear it in the vidio but may have missed it, do you know if sam uses crush and strain for his honey harvest? I did hear the , he got a couple of tons and I did get his comment on modern bee keeping using centrifical force to extract but did not hear what he does to get his couple of ton.
    Thanks for posting.
    gww
    If I remember correctly, I think he said it was all comb honey. So no extraction at all. Just cut and sell.

Quote Originally Posted by ruthiesbees View Post
    I just watched it while I was driving from place to place.
    I did not just read what I thought I read, did I? Ruth!

:-D

we love you anyways... despite your dangerous ways....

msl, thanks for this. I love Sam, but there's a dearth of good videos of him. It is very nice to get a new one.

Mike

ruthiesbees
    If I remember correctly, I think he said it was all comb honey. So no extraction at all. Just cut and sell.
    Now that you mention it, I do remember him saying he made a lot of comb honey. My mind says it can't all be pretty white but it says crush and strain to me if it is not good enough for comb honey.
    Thank you
    gww
    zone 5b

I one point he waives a stick and says "this is my extractor"(or maby it was another video).... there is a reason for that 7' solar wax melter

Quote Originally Posted by AvatarDad View Post
    I did not just read what I thought I read, did I? Ruth!

:-D

we love you anyways... despite your dangerous ways....
    Ok, let's pretend it more of a podcast than a youtube video playing on my laptop while I drove. I don't think the slides in his talk changed all that much :-)

Quote Originally Posted by msl View Post
    I wonder why we don't see more people runing set ups like this(not just TF fokes) it seems like a cost and resource effecent way to grow or learn grafting.
    Sam was in Chicago a few years back and he talked about his mating nucs. I've been using them since. Made them out of discarded cedar fence panels. In the last year I started using incorporating the "frames" from those mating nucs into standard langstroth hives. I have a friend who runs these mating nucs as a hive. He gets about 12-17 lbs of honey from a single box.
    Attached Images Attached Images

love to here more about your use of them... stocking, splitting, overwintering etc

Edit GWW look at 1:14:15 for crush and strain
    Last edited by msl; 03-20-2018 at 11:14 AM.

msl
    I listened again at that point of the vidio. It would be easy to miss but I got it. Thanks for taking the time to answer.
    Cheers
    gww
    zone 5b

Sam was an early inspiration when we went TF back in 2007.

He's wrong about TF outside of south Florida though. As the pages on this forum clearly show, TF Beeks are everywhere. I invite him to northern Wisconsin to see for himself what we contend with (7 plus months of freezing/dearth).

At this time Last year we had Swans on the pond in front of our house. This year the Sand Hill Cranes showed up before ice out, then we got 10 more inches of snow 2 days ago.

Otherwise, the presentation is great, his wisdom is certainly needed and would be more than welcomed.

I was under the impression that Sam had NY apiaries still. Chose his breeders up here sent them to FL to raise earlier queens.

another 4 hours or so of new Sam content was resentily posted on Sol's TFB youtube page https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCC_...lghVZDg/videos
    some same old same old, but some gems and good info as well.

love to here more about your use of them... stocking, splitting, overwintering etc

Edit GWW look at 1:14:15 for crush and strain
    I haven't personally tried overwintering them. What I do is, after the last round of queens, I take the whole Comfort mating nuc ( bees/brood/stores ) and put them on top of inner cover in my 10 frame hives ( they fit just right ). In most cases the 10 frame boxes have brood nests well below the inner covers. The bees from the mating nuc get integrated into the 10 frame colony and remaining brood draws up nurse bees. 3-5 days after this combine I'll discard any queens cells that might have been started in the mating nuc and in ~3 weeks I'll remove the mating nuc. I'll put the mating frames in a freezer for 2 days and then store them for next year.
    As for stocking them, I've shaken bees into them and it works. Sometimes it'll require more shaking as bees fly away ( not all, but enough to make it weak ), especially if the mating nucs are in the same yard that nurse bees came from. The past 2 years I've been putting the mating frames into overwintered colonies in spring as they expand to get the queen to lay in them. Then it's just a matter of transferring the brood, shaking extra nurse bees in ( often from other colonies ) and dropping in a ripe queen cell or a virgin to establish the nucs. After a while these become almost self sufficient and provide brood/bees for other mating nucs. My biggest problem with them is ants. In early spring, ants just love these. I've been using a product called Cedarcide and spraying 4x4 the mating nucs sit on to keep ants off. It works, but needs to be reapplied on a regular basis, and rain will wash it away.

2 new just landed
    great look at his mating nuc mangment
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mfZp...B&index=4&t=0s

a lot of what we have hurd form hime before with some new stuff on his "bees choice" method and results for the tarpy lab
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hisn...B&index=6&t=0s

2 new just landed
    Thank you for posting these videos, MSL. I certainly appreciate how approachable his management style is- I mean, he's using a butter knife for his hive tool!

I found his extemporaneous comments starting at about the 30 minute mark of the first video the most revealing of his TF breeding approach and goals- talking about the juxtaposition between 'Bee Sanctuary' and 'Commercial' management.

Interesting stuff- thanks again for posting.

Russ

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast