Splitting hive and adding new queen?

Default Splitting hive and adding new queen?

Will be getting some queens in a couple of days which I will place in hives I am going to split. Expect either will work and guess some here have done it one way or another butů Should I place the frames of brood and other frames in the new hives a day or so before or is it okay to just split the hives and add the caged queens at the same time? If split one or more days in advance would they already be building queen cells in the queenless hive?

Would rather split and add queen at the same time but willing to do what ever will best insure a successful split.

Thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Splitting hive and adding new queen?

All the time I have been visiting the beesource forum and after posting the questions above noticed that there was a "Split and Combine" area.

Admin. if needed please move to the correct area. Sorry

I would split a day ahead. Mostly to ensure I know which part of the split the queen is in...so I don't put the new caged queen in a queen right split. The bees seem to accept queens that have been queenless several days, so I wouldn't be concerned with a day or two between split and adding queen.

The bees know they are queenless in minutes. Make all your splits and go back to the beginning and put in queen cages is more than OK. Giving them a day to start emergency cells will doom new queens.

Simplest fastest way is to pull the brood from hives you are splitting and shake the bees off into the original colony. Put a queen excluder on and place the beeless brood on top. Within hours, the brood will be covered with nurse bees, the very bees most eager to accept a new caged queen. Much faster than finding queens.

Quote Originally Posted by Vance G View Post
    The bees know they are queenless in minutes. Make all your splits and go back to the beginning and put in queen cages is more than OK. Giving them a day to start emergency cells will doom new queens.

Simplest fastest way is to pull the brood from hives you are splitting and shake the bees off into the original colony. Put a queen excluder on and place the beeless brood on top. Within hours, the brood will be covered with nurse bees, the very bees most eager to accept a new caged queen. Much faster than finding queens.

I’ll be doing what Vance G said exactly in a few weeks