Banking Queens - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Banking Queens

Default Re: Banking Queens

Nest week's forecast looks like upper 40s and 50s.Not too bad for making nucs if you don't dilly dally and there is not a lot of cold wind. We have made them at 42F ,2 brood,1 bees,1 honey and an extra frame of bees shook in to help keep them warm.
    The queens will do just fine in the battery box for a week or 2. We feed them a chunk of last years comb honey as needed and let the attendants out to cleanse every day or 2 if its nice. Amazing how they will all fly out like a swarm and disappear and in 10 minutes, all of them are back in the battery box with the queens, happy as clams.(i am the reason the battery box says do not use to store queens!)
    Lloyd is right. You hafta take queens per your order. Ours are coming the 16th,ordered last labor day.
    Nick
    gridleyhollow.com

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

That's your potential saving grace here. This time of year, in a couple days it can be dramatically different with significant improvement.
    If just that weather pattern will quit.
    Lauri Miller.
    Carniolan Hybrids. Glenn, Latshaw & Wild lines.

I have some of the root excluders.
    Here is what it looks like in living color:

The 7 wire root excluder
    7wireExcluder2.jpg

7wireExcluder1.jpg

>He uses JZ-BZ cages which someone here has stated are not good to bank queens in. It had something to do with the queens getting their tarsal pads damaged.

Dann Purvis says it's the other way around. The JZBZ cages protect the queen's feet. The screened cages do not.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 42y 40h 39yTF

I took a look at your forecast. I see you have a threat of snow on Tuesday. How are you fairing?

I've got 2 small test batches of beautiful cells I may or may not set due to a slow starting spring.

Lots of folks in the same circumstances. Little foraging weather, slower build up, drones just hanging out.
    Lauri Miller.
    Carniolan Hybrids. Glenn, Latshaw & Wild lines.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Bush View Post
    >He uses JZ-BZ cages which someone here has stated are not good to bank queens in. It had something to do with the queens getting their tarsal pads damaged.

Dann Purvis says it's the other way around. The JZBZ cages protect the queen's feet. The screened cages do not.
    Bank some queens in JZBZ and in california mini, put their feet under a scope. The ones in roller cages loose the tarsal pads first, then jzbz, the mini's dont. Feet are the first thing I check after I give queens CO2 treatment before II, no point in doing it for queens that are not perfect.

I only imagine it is worse with mated queens.
    Instrumental Insemination & Northern VSH Queens

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12