Thoughts on strategic places to place swarm traps

Default Thoughts on strategic places to place swarm traps

I have an 800 acre farm that we use for deer hunting in North Alabama ( Jackson County ). the back half is mountain land, the middle is all fields with hardwood tree lines, and then it goes to the bottomland that borders the river. The fields are all planted for wildlife, there are huge blackberry groves, plus wild raspberry here and there. Lots of clover etc.... A power line cut runs through a portion of the property. All of that to say, I am a little overwhelmed at where to put swarm traps. I was thinking on the field edges that have the most blackberry hedges. Or how about near the river? There is an old worn out cabin with a porch, thought about placing one near there. We dont run any cattle on the farm, it is used just for deer/turkey and we do get hay off of it. I guess I am looking at ideas where to start. Nearly all of it is hardwoods, very few if any pines.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Thoughts on strategic places to place swarm traps

Sounds like the whole farm is ideal. Maybe just geographically spread them out enough to where they are not having to decide between 2 or more traps?

I did a very careful and "strategic" site selection last year. I got permission from 5 different landowners from all over my county and I set out 6 swarm traps from the north end to the south end one Saturday last March. When I was done, I went to the ATM at my bank in town and there was a swarm on the bush beside the ATM.

I only caught 1 swarm in those six traps all year. I am clearly not qualified to help you on this.

I am like psm and have lots of traps but don't catch many swarms. What I would say though is putting some traps on the 800 acers is good but what might be better is picking on some people you know who would let you put a trap in their yards and let you spred them out a couple of miles from each other. I do this and get the bennifit of those friends calling me when they see bees at the trap. Trapping is not free and a little help saving a trip here and there is a big help and my belief is that it increases you chances. I have never caught a swarm in the same trap twice. Most have been a few miles from the last one I caught. I also have not caught them in the places I thought were the best for bees. My first swarm was in a trap that I hung on a tree right out side my garage door. I just hung it there untill I could move it to a good place. I had a saw mill right in front of the trap that I was working on lots of days. I was just sure the one down at the woods edge of a pipe line was going to be a good spot but the bees thought the one by my garage was best.
    Just my view.
    Cheers
    gww
    zone 5b

Without much thinking - do a trap or two along the power line corridor where it cuts through the woods (at the least).

Those power line corridors 1)usually provide good forage for bees and 2)often force the bees to fly along/through them.
    I myself am still trying to access a really nice corridor under high voltage lines in my area (planning to talk to few owners this season).

Otherwise, I would look for single large trees and also forest edges near water.

Last year spent lots of time with my randomly placed traps and not much to show for it...
    Funny part, every swarm I got landed directly or next to my actual bee yards.
    So this year I will make sure my own bee yards are covered with traps first and foremost.
    Former "smoker boy". Classic, square 12 frame Dadants >> Long hive/Short frame/chemical-free experimentations.

A tree that stand alone or apart from the rest is my first preference
    “The single biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has taken place.” -George Bernard Shaw

If your using the land for hunting I'd go with in the deer stands as an easy start. You know where they are and they are elevated and I'm guessing you can get a vehicle to them.

If not that is things to consider with were you do put them. I like the other thoughts of in the power line clearing or any woodline near water.

I did cls advice the first year of trapping and caught nothing but even worse was getting the traps up and down into the tree stands. The next year, I still put the traps on some trees deer stands were in but I built little platforms to put on the side of the tree that I could slide the traps on and still reach them from the ground. I will never go back to climbing a stand with a trap in my hand.

And I did catch a swarm the second year in the trap low enough to not have to climb a ladder to get. Higher may work better but not enough better to kill yourself for. The year after that, I lowered all my hives where I could reach them with both feet on the ground. I wouldn't want them to sit on the ground but don't want to get on a ladder either. I will say again, that I have lots of traps and do not catch that many swarms and also, I am amazed at some I do catch.

I have traps by some tree stands but have caught bees over a junk car in a place with a lot of activity or caught one in my brother in laws back yard and other places that just do not fit seeleys ideal place. I have caught some on high lines and pipe lines but not more then in places that have quite a bit of activity then some place way out back. I would want traps where I know bees are being kept. The advice on the tree stands is proby good but I have tried it and for me using the actual tree stand is just not worth it when you can make the easy of stting and retreiving traps so much easier. Not saying anything is wrong but just giving my perspective on it.
    Cheers
    gww
    Attached Images Attached Images

gww has valid points of not using a ladder. I was thinking of 1 of my old stands that you could stand on the back of a pickup or on a 4 wheeler (whichever you use on that property) and easily get without a ladder.
    I have 1 trap set on a propane tank and strapped to a tree.

I will never climb the trees again and advise others against doing so.
    Not necessary at all and not worth it anyhow (mind your own health or life even).
    If I can not handle the trap directly from the ground - not doing it.

Last year all my swarms landed on the traps no higher than 3 feet up.
    Rather focus on baiting them well and the location, but not the installation height.
    Right now I am building a couple of log traps about 4-5 feet in height each.
    I will place they directly on grounds stands. No climbing.

20170702_174847.jpg
    20170607_082540.jpg

PS: well, there is one valid reason to climb - if want to place a trap away from other people (obviously, not the case if you use your own property)
    Former "smoker boy". Classic, square 12 frame Dadants >> Long hive/Short frame/chemical-free experimentations.

>I will never climb the trees again and advise others against doing so.

I never have climbed trees. Typical stand - plastic nursery pot. Typical sites I loaded this week all within two
    hours, carry them in, drop them off, click pictures to enlarge:

Front yard suburban neighborhood, had apiary there before

Backyard suburban garden, catch two there just like this every year:

Another front yard suburban garden next to hives, catch two there every year:

Front left and right inside new client's apiary:

Another suburban back yard very near freeway 101:

On top of suburban apiary hives, catch two there every year: