Blowing Snow

Thread: Blowing Snow

Default Blowing Snow

Unfortunately were my hives are located they are susceptible to a lot of blowing snow. They have upper entrances but the blowing snow keeps covering it up and get sick of going up and having to re-open them. Any suggestions.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Blowing Snow

some beeks intentionally cover their hives with snow for a more even temperature throughout the winter. vapor can travel through snow.

Just as long as they have the up entrance they will be fine. Quite worrying.

well you can turn the hives around and put the back of the hive into the wind, or you can delicately place a bale of hay, the small ones, hard to move the round bales, in front of the entrance to keep the snow out, or as most people do let the snow build up over the hive, the heat from the hive will melt the snow next to the hive and create a nice warm air space, or you can do like me and run 3 deeps, it only get over them once in a while.
    mike syracuse ny
    Whatever you subsidize you get more of. Ronald Reagan

A lot of us don't mind deep snow around and on top of hives. Keep the entrances open. I pay attention when deep snow gets wet and rotten up against woodenware. You can always drive some stakes and stretch burlap around the hives to slow drifting and block wind. Do that late in the fall.
    "My wife always wanted girls. Just not thousands and thousands of them......"

Was only really concerned about ventilation if the upper entrance got closed. Bottom one is completely closed

Quote Originally Posted by Sickdog5 View Post
    Was only really concerned about ventilation if the upper entrance got closed. Bottom one is completely closed
    why
    mike syracuse ny

Just didn’t want moisture to build up and kill the bees. Thought with no openings moisture would collect and drip on the bees. This fallI I tilted the hives forward a little.

All you need is something that covers the entrance but sticks out in front of it so there is a gap. I put an extra piece of polystyrene on top of my hives that is held on with a weight and ratchet strap. The polystyrene is longer than the hive cover and sticks out in front of it. I attached a 2 inch wide piece of polystyrene to the underside of the main sheet with glue and screws. It runs the full width of the main piece. But it hangs down far enough that the entrance is covered but sticks out far enough that there is about a 1/2 gap between it and the entrance. I did it mainly for a wind block because we don't get snow that deep but it should keep snow from covering the entrance.

If you don't want/need the polystyrene then take something like and asphalt shingle or piece of plastic you can put a bend in and attach the flat part to the hive cover and let the flap part hang down in front of the entrance like an awning. I don't exactly where your upper entrance is. If it is a drilled hole lower in a hive body the same technique could work by just flipping the flap and tacking the flat piece to the hive body.

bad post
    mike syracuse ny

Here's a simple solution - http://www.pedersenapiaries.ca/entry.jpg

Here is how this apiary prepares for winter (singles) in Saskatchewan.
    http://www.pedersenapiaries.ca/revisited.html
    Zone 2 - Use Paradise Honey Polystyrene BeeBoxes - First pollen mid to late April - Last forage early September