Written process & procedure guide

Default Written process & procedure guide

Had an interesting conversation this morning, the stand out was the question: Do I have a Process & Procedure guide, in writing, for my honey harvesting and handling.

I am familiar with P&P guides in other businesses (i.e., ISO requirements)
    This person deals with it in vegetable handling and sales.

Does anyone have written P&P, for harvesting/extraction, handling, and bottling?

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Written process & procedure guide

GOD Help us! Is this supposed to be a requirement? Can I just say "We don't pee in the carrot patch."

Wow, that's a tuff one. I'm a newbee here. Lots of mfg experience. We had an op manual for everything. I'd say you'd have to write up your own process manuals, based on your many years of your experience. Also, it would change up allot, just by fast change in beekeeping, and all the mgmt. Changes to come.

No. I know how to keep everything clean during the extracting process and I don't leave honey setting out to be contaminated. We don't have a P & P for collecting chicken eggs or for harvesting peppers and tomatoes out of the garden and don't expect to ever need one.

Vance. The garden reacts so well to urea though! lol.

Not a requirement, and truly hope it never becomes one; the way it was explained to me, it does have bearing on farm product liability policies.

I am commenting to pull this back to top, I had hoped to have more input. Maybe it should have been posted up in the commercial forum ?

Upon looking into liability insurance, the inspector was very interested in if I did or did not have a process & procedure guide , in writing, for my edible product.
    It was explained that not having one in place would have an effect on policy price.
    Does no one have experience with this?

Outdoor, why don't you write up your own P & P. You can tailor the P & P to match your procedures exactly. You would then have a P & P in place.

yikes, this is like FDA regulation and CFR stuff... i understand we are technically processing food, but i didn't think honey fell into the same category as perishable foods.

In idaho, we have a cottage foods law that protects us from having to be up to the same standards as a perishable foods processing facility. I don't even think we have to have a 3-basin sink.

In Kentucky you need to have your honey house inspected and certified if you produce more than 150 gallons annually. Your considered a "food processor" at that point, FDA type stuff. Each food product and type of processing has it's own requirements, honey is pretty low on the list as far as rules and regulations.

I have not reached that volume, but I know an old beekeeper who has. He said in Kentucky its esy. I visited his processing room. He built a small room connected to his garage that houses his extractor, sink, and bottling tank

Just write up the process..... Pull box, transport to clean room, check moisture, spin, strain, store, check moisture, bottle, label. You probably also want to discuss how you keep the room and equipment that comes in contact with food clean. Like wipe/wash down procedure, room environment, etc.
    Last edited by burns375; 03-26-2018 at 09:07 PM.

I have one

maybe call your state dept ag
    they would be the ones to talk with.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    I have one
    I have a process written down too. Not for any governmental requirement, but because I just like to make checklists for things I don't do all the time.