Can you see eggs or larva?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Can you see eggs or larva?

I need an experienced pair of eyes to tell me if they see any eggs or larva in the pics below.

I only see capped brood and found three queen cups. Lots of capped brood and I did not see the queen, but that is rare for me anyway.

My thoughts are I lost the queen 9 or more days ago, but I would like some experienced opinions. If I did, should I find a frame with eggs from my other hive and put it into this queenless one? What else?

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Can you see eggs or larva?

Enlarge your photos! Seriously, there is an APP that just takes pictures and enlarges them like a magnifying glass.
    americasbeekeeper.com
    [email protected]

It seems to me there is eggs in some cells in photo 4, just below and to the left of the capped cell.
    Photo 5 may have some too but it's less clear.
    Photos are hard to determine what is what due to lack of depth perception, reflections and shadows.

A frame of eggs and young larvae will not hurt this colony if they have the population and stores to
    support it. From your pics I'm not sure they do. Looks like there is no honey or pollen or population.

Clyderload, thank you

They have plenty of stores and population. In fact I was noting that some of the frames are “heavy” with nectar coming in already.

America’s beekeeper, is that all the advice you have? I have an I phone and can enlarge the photos and do. I have always had a hard time distinguishing eggs. Perhaps you could post a picture enlarged that would make it clear to me? Do something else constructive? But as for some advice, if posts annoy or upset you..... let them go. It’s you choosing to be angry and that’s not healthy.

Clyderload

Second row, first column. Is that an egg?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Easy there.
    Americas has plenty to offer and has seen many a egg in the comb as a bee inspector in FL.

From google
    burr-comb-with-eggs-close-up.jpg

Honeybee_worker_eggs_12.jpg

honeybees eggslarvae.jpg

I’m sure he does, but considering this is BK101 an answer would have been helpful. I see the eggs clearly in your photos. I’m iffy on mine. The enlarged photo I posted, do you think that is an egg?

Quote Originally Posted by Kcnc1 View Post
    Clyderload

Second row, first column. Is that an egg?
    Looks like it.
    Good, clear, close up Pics of brood, and frames in general, are hard to take.

Instead of magnifying pictures download one of the many magnifying glass apps. Then you can tilt your phone and look in lots of different holes from different angles. Also, I always wear a pair of these in the apiary: https://www.amazon.com/Bifocal-Safet.../dp/B000HJMR82 You can look through the bottom and it magnifies, look anywhere else and its normal. You can get different magnifications.
    Zone 6B

I’m sure he does, but considering this is BK101 an answer would have been helpful. I see the eggs clearly in your photos. I’m iffy on mine. The enlarged photo I posted, do you think that is an egg?
    He gave you an answer. You need better photos. The issue isn't experience spotting eggs and larva. The issue is you have crap photos. I guess it was just an answer you didn't want to hear. You wanted someone with beekeeping experience to make up for the poor quality photos. I'm not saying it is easy to get good pictures of the bottom of cells because it isn't but don't expect people to be able to give you a definitive answer from these photos.

Come on people. The guy/girl is asking for some help....it seems the way a question is answered could be a little less confrontational.

Eggs and larva; yes.
    Instead of photos you can peal the top of the cells off the cells you think are young cells. They will fix and you can see.
    Frame never hurts if you've got the bees for it, though seeing eggs from that hive might be a problem too.
    It is not true that you cannot teach an old dog new tricks.
    They can learn them, they just can't do them.

def laying but that laying pattern is bad, the queen is getting funky, that brood should be very tight together, and not spread out.
    I'd seriously think about a new queen with that crappy pattern.
    you want a spiral ring in successive rings expanding out wards from the center of the fram to the outer edges.
    You do not want a spotty brood pattern at all. A spotty pattern shows a problem with the queen, although many beehavers will argue it's hygienic, but in truth/reality that's not true at all.
    Keep a eye on how she lays, if it's spotty like that she's done, and you need a new queen.
    If you want honey dump her asap.

1st thing learn the Bee's Biology
    Last edited by MimbresBees; 03-14-2018 at 12:00 PM.

I need an experienced pair of eyes to tell me if they see any eggs or larva in the pics below.

I only see capped brood and found three queen cups. Lots of capped brood and I did not see the queen, but that is rare for me anyway.

My thoughts are I lost the queen 9 or more days ago, but I would like some experienced opinions. If I did, should I find a frame with eggs from my other hive and put it into this queenless one? What else?
    Before putting any more resources into this colony in an attempt to save it, figure out why it has a problem. I'm looking carefully at photo number two. Start in the bottom row, left side, count over 3 cells, look carefully at the brood in that cell. Next, on th eleft side near the middle vertically, 2 rows under the bee with it's head in a cell is another one. These both look to me like brood that has died in the cell, and is now discolored and starting to lay flat on the bottom of the cell. There are more cells in various stages of similar symptoms in that same area.

You cannot 'fix' this colony until you understand what's wrong with it, and the discolored brood that looks to be dieing is the place to start. Better photos of that spot at a higher resolution would help.

Kcnc1, I saw the picture of THE egg and agree that that is what it looks like from the picture. I also saw the dead larvae that grozzie pointed out. What I didn't see was any other eggs or larvae. I can blow the pictures up pretty well on my cell phone so I could get a good look.

I wonder if your queen stopped laying when our weather turned cold again? How strong is the hive. Could you have also gotten some chilled brood?
    Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.

When they say a picture is worth a thousand words they were not talking about my pictures or these.

I see a lot of brood in photo 2. Condition; I can't see that well.

Cups would not be a concern themselves. How did the hive seem other than that?

When I got my new glasses I told him i got bees and I need to see eggs so make the bifocals good and strong.

Buzz Kill If you were able to clearly understand what was written, you would realize he did not state I need better pictures. He said I needed a magnifier. you are right that spotting larva is not a problem. I never stated it was. I also never wanted a “definitive” answer. I wanted to use the board for its intended purpose (BK 101) and get opinions of those more experienced than me.

Thank you to all that gave me useful answers.

Sun was right, saw eggs today without any technical assistance. Big day for me

Thanks for replying. Glad you have a laying queen.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast