My 21 deep frame observation hive - Page 4
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Default Re: My 21 deep frame observation hive

Would you recommend the artificial comb? Are they still on the artificial comb?

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Andhors View Post
    Would you recommend the artificial comb? Are they still on the artificial comb?
    Yes, they are still on artificial comb and I do like using it enough that I no longer use wax comb. If you decide to try it, I recommend running it through the dishwasher before you use it. I got some in black once that looked like they had some sort of residue on them. So, I wash them all first and I don't have any acceptance issues.

I do believe many factors affect consumption rates. If you examine the metabolic curve for honey bee consumption of honey versus temperature you will see a pretty low consumption rate for about a 40F to 60F ambient inside the hive ( data form memory) - fairly wide range. If you look a the slope, consumption increases as internal temperatures rise but not a a fast as if it gets colder. The colder the ambient gets the more the more they consume to produce heat for survival.

There is more to the story as there is more than one issue such as moisture, CO2, brood rearing, dehydration. I have tried to weight hives every two weeks to get a trend in winter but was defeated by wet weather and an actual increase in hive weights! Understanding moisture control in a hive is not simple but it seems the bees are good at it.

In one case, increasing temperature you have increased consumption to raise brood, forage etc - things that help a hive survive. The opposite direction is purely survival from what I can see and learn. I'll take the warmer side and I heavily insulate with no top venting. My experience and efforts lead me to believe there is a tipping point whereby the bees control the inner environment to suit if you give them a chance.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234