My 21 deep frame observation hive - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Woodbridge, VA (But planning to move to NW Louisiana soon)

Default Re: My 21 deep frame observation hive

Quote Originally Posted by ffrtsaxk View Post
    They are fairly active doing stuff in the hive, but not excessively so. There is usually a large group of field bees that just hangs out by the entrance doing nothing. Flights are limited to when my outdoor hives are also flying.
    Thanks for the info. I find it interesting they haven't eaten all their stores. I have always heard that insulating or wrapping hives led to running out of stores sooner since they were warmer and active and eating more. It sounds like your bees settled down and slowed down even though they're fairly climate controlled and much warmer than your outdoor hives.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

It’s Spring and they currently have 5 good frames of brood. The frames have about 8,400 cells per frame, so that’s about the limit if a queen is laying 2,000 eggs a day. A lot of bees hang out in the 2 covered columns especially at night when all the foragers are home. They also have pollen stored on the frame nearest the entrance. They like to hang out the window and wave at the neighbors on warm evenings. 0423190827d~2.jpgDSC06050.jpg

Thanks for the update! Really cool!

I'm planning an new OH and would like your advice, please. I'm doing my WindOH style again. It's a very wide window so I can go 2 frames wide by 3 or 4 high. It will be 2 frames deep. How big are the holes between your sections? Does the queen move easily from one to the next or has she stayed on one column?

Quote Originally Posted by brushwoodnursery View Post
    I'm planning an new OH and would like your advice, please. I'm doing my WindOH style again. It's a very wide window so I can go 2 frames wide by 3 or 4 high. It will be 2 frames deep. How big are the holes between your sections? Does the queen move easily from one to the next or has she stayed on one column?
    The holes are ¾ of an inch. But, this is actually one of the things I would have done differently if I was making a stationary observation hive. But, since I need to roll mine from one wall to the other, I decided not to risk the structural integrity of the boxes by making longer oblong holes to allow the bees easier movement or using multiple pairs of holes offset from the center.
    The old queen never left the column I introduced her to. The new queen that went on her matting flight 2 days ago has been in all 3 columns, but spends most of her time in the same column the 1st queen used. She isn’t laying yet though. When the new queen goes from box to box, she goes under the bottom. Because of the way the frames I am using are built, I realized that would likely be the way the queen would have to move when I built it. I am using Honey Super Cell fully drawn plastic comb. They have a spacer that runs the full length of both ends of the frames so that when you place them into a normal hive the bees cannot go around the ends, but have to go over the top or under the bottom of the frames. When placed in my observation hive, the space between the “glass” and those spacers is just enough for the workers to go around and get to and use the holes between boxes, but too small for the queen to go around. I could have cut those spacers off and might do so someday, but wanted to keep the frames completely interchangeable with the frames in my Langstroth hives.
    Since you are probably using regular frames, you shouldn’t have the problem of the queen not being able to get to the holes. And, since you are making a smaller stationary observation hive, you can do the holes differently without worrying about anything breaking.
    If I was building an observation hive like you are describing and I wanted to make sure that the queen went from one column to another, I would cut oblong 3/8 inch holes that line up with the gap between your front and back frames and extend at least half the height of the frame. I might leave a 3/8 inch space between the glass and sections of the support beam in the middle that the frames will be resting on like the one pictured here: https://illawarrabeekeepers.org.au/o...erkins-legacy/
    That might result in the bees building comb from the frames all the way over to the support beams. If I was using traditional frames without full length spacers and wanted to make sure they didn’t build comb between the frames and the support beams, I would cut pairs of either circular or oblong holes lined up with the center of the frames. My bees have not tried to fill in the ¾ inch holes between the boxes that are lined up with the center of the frames. But, if I was making oblong cuts, I would keep it to 3/8 or ½ inch.

Here is a picture of the frames I am using.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks for the details. I want to be able to slide doors to shut the holes. Going to allow it to be operated as one or two colonies. It should be pretty cool to shut it in spring and watch which side didn't get the queen make a new one. It will have top entrances out each side which can be closed as needed. I'm working on whether or not the doors will hinge or just unscrew and pull off.

Quote Originally Posted by brushwoodnursery View Post
    Thanks for the details. I want to be able to slide doors to shut the holes. Going to allow it to be operated as one or two colonies. It should be pretty cool to shut it in spring and watch which side didn't get the queen make a new one. It will have top entrances out each side which can be closed as needed. I'm working on whether or not the doors will hinge or just unscrew and pull off.
    Sound cool. Keep me posted.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123