My 21 deep frame observation hive
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default My 21 deep frame observation hive

Here's my observation hive. I'm just finishing it up. It has 21 deep frames. They can be individually isolated and removed without releasing the bees, insert queen excluders and bee escapes. And, it has a screened bottom board with an area to insert an oil tray.
    0312181725a.jpg

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: My 21 deep frame observation hive

Man , that looks huge!!! But, very nice.

Will bees make use of all of it?

Wow that's an impressive work of art!

I hope you've included a mechanism to close the screened bottom board or vent it outside.
    From experience... an observation hive with ventilation into your room/house can be pretty overpowering in a heavy nectar flow when your room starts to resemble a honey scented sauna. :-)

Wow very nice. That’s what my wife would like me to make. We a 8 frame that I made and wife wants me to expand on it and cover the entire wall.
    Could you post more pictures?

Ffrt,

That’s impressive. Can we get pics head on?

I will have to think about how to take pictures from other angles. The OH is located in a narrow dormer window. If I stand right beside it, I will be too close to get the whole thing in the shot. The screened bottom board is over the area for the oil tray which is closed off. The bees should use it all and I can section parts off until there are enough bees to fill it.

My prediction:
    Because the combs are so wide spread and there is not the usual cohesive brood chamber with side by side combs, a colony will never cover more than half of it. Let me know when I am wrong or right.

Awesome! I'd love to see design pics of the individual isolation technique. Also, may i use the image in lectures about OHs? I'd credit you y name for the design if you'd like.

Quote Originally Posted by odfrank View Post
    My prediction:
    Because the combs are so wide spread and there is not the usual cohesive brood chamber with side by side combs, a colony will never cover more than half of it. Let me know when I am wrong or right.
    Odfrank, it may turn out that you are right about the bees not covering more than half of it. I wondered about that when I was planning it. But, my backup plan is to simply to insert the dividers either horizontally or vertically and add another entrance or 2 and have more than one colony housed in it. I did, however, see an observation hive that had frames stacked on top of each other and running lengthwise that the bees used just fine, so I’m hoping this works. This is way bigger than that one though.

Quote Originally Posted by brushwoodnursery View Post
    Awesome! I'd love to see design pics of the individual isolation technique. Also, may i use the image in lectures about OHs? I'd credit you y name for the design if you'd like.
    Brushwoodnursery,
    I never bothered drawing up plans. I just worked it all out in my head. I will try to put pictures of how I do the horizontal and vertical divisions when I finish making the dividers. My name is Henry Long. Feel free to use the photo in your lectures.

Thanks! Funny, my last name is Long, too. Just a close up shot would do. I'm a tinkerer/builder so I'll understand. I was also thinking about multiple colonies for your design. I run a few OHs and they seem to be much more stable if they're at least 8 deeps. Maybe just 2 entrances/colonies in there.

Does anyone have any suggestions for stocking this thing? I have 2 packages coming mid-April. I’m not sure if it would be best to just put one in it or place both of the packages in hives so I can treat with oxalic acid vapor and allow them to get brood and then try to move one into it (and probably loose a lot of bees in the process). I haven’t been able to get into my Langstroth hive to check the brood yet (only refilled the top feeder), so I may or may not be able to take a frame of brood from them by then.
    I was finally able to pick up the supplies to make the insulated cover panels (truck was in the shop), so I should have that finished soon and be able to put some more pictures on here.

Get the bees settled onto frames first. Not sure if you really need them to stay in a lang for long. Placing them later will disrupt the brood nest. I forget, did you say you could do this with 2 entrances and make it 2 colonies?

Looks great! I can tell you did plenty of planning. This is something you can enjoy in any type of weather. Does it have lighting? Red? This is what the hobby is all about... having fun and trying new things.

Quote Originally Posted by brushwoodnursery View Post
    Get the bees settled onto frames first. Not sure if you really need them to stay in a lang for long. Placing them later will disrupt the brood nest. I forget, did you say you could do this with 2 entrances and make it 2 colonies?
    Yes, I can easily add a second entrance and run 2 colonies.

Quote Originally Posted by Murdock View Post
    Looks great! I can tell you did plenty of planning. This is something you can enjoy in any type of weather. Does it have lighting? Red? This is what the hobby is all about... having fun and trying new things.
    I'm trying to decide on the lighting now. I was considering red, how well does it work? I have this thing on barn door track and wheels to move from one wall to the other, so I may mount lights on both walls instead of mounting it to the hive.

I think that's a good thing. If one colony goes big, you can always pull the other.

The insulated panels are finished. 0328180859.jpg

Nice!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast