Searching for old DCS research article

Default Searching for old DCS research article

It's been a couple years ago, I read an article on DCA research that I believe included Gudrun and Nikolaus Koeniger. The research occurred in Europe, possibly Germany, and included photographs of research team leaning on a car and their early attempts at catching drones using a tall framework and butterfly type nets. The article wasn't a true scientific paper and potentially written by a student and team member.

Does anyone have any information or memories of such an article?
    “The single biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has taken place.” -George Bernard Shaw

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Searching for old DCS research article

I have a book with that information and those pictures in it. It's called the "Mating Biology of Honey Bees" by both the Koeningers, Jamie Ellis and L J O'Connor. (Wicwas Press) Is there something I can look up in it for you? It's a very interesting book, though because it was, I think, originally in German there appear to be some translation glitches. I think it is also available on Kindle.

Nancy

I've found links to 2 different papers pretty quickly, would either of these be something that you might be thinking of?

Mating behaviour in honey bees...

http://www.agri.ruh.ac.lk/tare/pdf/V_7/AG.7.2.pdf

Drone competition at drone congregation areas...

http://www.apis-mellifera-mellifera....tion-areas.pdf

OH, and here's a third one...
    Extensive population admixture on drone congregation
    areas of the giant honeybee, Apis dorsata...

https://pdfs.semanticscholar.org/15e...5d1bb52c06.pdf

I was too late, I see that Nancy has given you the information you were looking for. Good going Nancy!

Thanks Ray,
    I've about worn out the keyboard looking for articles and papers associate with von Frisch, the Koenigers and the Ruttners. concerning their research on DCAs. Thanks for the effort, it is appreciated.

Nancy,
    Excellent! I'm ordering the book. As I remember it was a plethora of information including a DCA characteristic reference to "changes in the horizon" which was further clarified as a notch or gap in the surrounding hills. Time to re-read and glean a little more information.
    Thank you for the great recall and identification.
    “The single biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has taken place.” -George Bernard Shaw

Eikel,

I found the DCA- topographical characteristics/descriptions a little hard to follow. Almost as if there needs to be some work on that. (That was what really interested me, too, as I want to find my local DCAs.) Before you buy the book, if that's what you're really keen to know about, let me pull it out of my bookshelves and see how long that part is. Maybe I could xerox it this week and send that section on to you?

Nancy

Thanks Nancy but I'm buying the book to have for reference anyway. Appreciate the offer though.