Moving hive 75 yards

Default Moving hive 75 yards

Just need to see if anything else I need to do. I have a full frame Warre hive 3 boxes of 8 deep frames basically cub inch of a Lang med each. Top 2 boxes full of brood and bottom half pulled. Second year from package Carnie. They have exploded. Just solid wads of bees on the frames and queen is still marked. Last year they were great. No aggression unless going into hive. This year witches. Over the last 3 weeks I have been nailed 4 times and wife twice just going into our back yard about 40 feet from hive. Workers are genital but guards are evil. Yea I should pinch her but working them is no worse than a normal Simi aggressive hive and when the flow hits in a couple weeks they SHOULD pound the goods in. As someone said life is to short for mean bees so these witches are heading to the pasture about 75 to 100 yards away. I set up a cinder block stand level this afternoon. It was in the 70s. Storm coming tonight and highs tomorrow in 50s lows 30s. Figured good as any so tonight about 9 pm I sealed the front robbing screen up, strapped hive down and loaded in cart then moved to New location. Almost no honey in hive and been feeding 7 cups sugar in H2O a day for 8 days with top hive feeder so hive is light. Plan on feeding in the morning with screen bottom board open all the way for ventilating then Monday morning about 3am (about 36 hours lator) open them up with a bunch of cedar branches piled up in front of the opening. I got to be at work Monday at 4am so the 3am release in the 30s is easy. Any suggestions or advice or am I good to go. Thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Moving hive 75 yards

Sounds like you have a plan well in hand. You are doing what I would do in the same situation.

Some bees will go to the old location, but at 75 yards, they should find it back eventually. I moved a hive probably 75 yards to the other side of the shop and found bees hovering at the old location for a few days, but they seemed to be gone every evening, so they probably found their home or one of the others nearby before dark. You could do several 10 ft moves every day or so to ease the confused bees. I moved hives 10 ft at a time and no big deal was noticed.

In addition to branches piled over the opening, lately I've been setting the stack so it faces 180 degrees away from the direction it did at the old site. Even if I eventually intended to face it back the old way, I set it up "backwards" at first. It's very easy to turn a stack around 20 or 30 degrees at a time, later on. Facing the wrong way adds just another factor to make the bees stop and think about things when they leave the colony for the first time.

Nancy

Quote Originally Posted by Jlockhart29 View Post
    Almost no honey in hive and been feeding 7 cups sugar in H2O a day for 8 days with top hive feeder so hive is light.
    This could be part of the reason they seem to be more aggressive than usual. A colony very light on stores can sometimes get pretty grumpy, especially if there are a few robbers constantly irritating them who are trying to get at the syrup in the hive. You might see them calm down once the hive gets some weight and a good flow is on.

Sounds like your plan for moving the hives is pretty solid.
    To everything there is a season....

The hive was setting with its back to tree line facing my yard. Yard being a general term as I live on 20 acars. It is now on the same fence line just moved about 75 yards. Turning it 180 would basically face it into a tree but 90 degrees to original would be no problem. Thanks for the idea. These gals never were real sweet period. One of those hives that always seems on the edge. I'm glad I moved them anyway as the dearth will hit and the suicide bombers will return. Right now I'm fighting them like crazy trying to keep them from swarming. Splitting them up pretty good next month when I have a queen from C. F. Koehnen coming. One of my main reasons to keep bees is just pull up a chair and a beverage and watch 'am on a warm afternoon. Not much fun trying not to spill your drink running and a Vail makes it kind of hard to sip!😂

Forgot to say: strap the bejabbers out of the stack before you do the lift. In fact, I make a point of having a separate set of straps just for the lift so that any sideways wonkiness due to the hoist doesn't get translated into pressure on the boxes. So we use four ratchet straps per colony on any move longer than a couple of feet.

We have a tractor with a bucket and put a chain around the bucket with big ole hook end which snags the hoist-straps, and away we go! Otherwise I'd use a hand cart with the stack strapped to the cart, and a couple of brave souls working for a nice cold beer at the end of the project. (Or a good, home-cooked breakfast if you move 'em in the early morning.) Either way works, though I find for my husband pie works wonders.

Nancy

Well I moved it last night long after dark. When I went in for the 2nd time last week there was 1/2 frame of honey. They would starve if not feed. LOTS of pollen but no nectar yet. Truth be told if I loose a good many bees it want hurt my feelings. Packed and stacked with capped brood and flow still a week or so off best guess start. Right now I'm just feeding to keep them alive. Hive was light. I moved em top, 3 boxes and screened bottom by myself with one strap. I was worried as well about side pressure on the top box but I built them from cedar jointed, glued and screwed. I figure and elephant can stand on one. Moved it in one of those 4 wheel hand carts. I'm sure they didn't like the vibration but with no honey I'm sure the comb made it fine. Apparently my robber screen is not completely bee proof. There is probably a half lb of bees back at the old stand and a couple dozen at the hive. The ones at the old stand are nasty. Low 30s tomorrow night should deal with that!LOL Turned the stand 90 degrees this afternoon and reapplied my brush. Turn them loose tomorrow.

If you have a spare nuc or a box with some frames, put it where the hive used to be. That will give the stragglers somewhere to go. I have found that homeless bees are pretty ticked off most of the time and are happy to sting random passers by.

Well it appears everything is going great. I got about the same amount of bees this afternoon as I did yesterday afternoon when the hive was shut up. As I said my screen isn't completely tight so some escaped yesterday. Open hive up this morning about 3am and it appears 95% found their way out and back to new location. And Yea the bees left are pretty pissed off! Another night in low 30s will take care of that. One quick question: When can I remove the brush from front of hive...Tomorrow morning?
    Attached Images Attached Images