Stolen Hives recovered from arrested bee thief, not all boxes ID'd to owner.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Stolen Hives recovered from arrested bee thief, not all boxes ID'd to owner.

Roberta Verhoek reports that following the arrest of Antonio Catarino for the theft of the Verhoek hives in Texas, the Arizona yard of the alleged thief was inspected, and a large number of additional boxes were discovered. The owners and circumstances of these hives are not known, and police gave the Verhoek permission to share images of the un-identified stolen hives.

Roberta Verhoek writes:
    Thank you to those who helped with recovery of our hives and equipment last month! When we recently inventoried our equipment, we discovered that there is equipment of other beekeepers at the same site ours was recovered from. The authorities have given us permission to share pictures. If you recognize any of the brands/information on the hives and have knowledge that the equipment should not be in Arizona, would you please share this with them so they can also recover their items.
    28700740_10215082117637024_2571872265145892622_o.jpg
    28516253_10215082117717026_1825402224915425031_o.jpg
    28698550_10215082117677025_2326286876404227368_o.jpg
    28616490_10215082119117061_5121067374747662059_o.jpg
    28516445_10215082119637074_4866738650272402777_o.jpg

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Stolen Hives recovered from arrested bee thief, not all boxes ID'd to owner.

Man, that's allot of equipment. Hope it gets back to its owners, and the owner of the yard it was found in is prosecuted as well. !!!

Default Re: Stolen Hives recovered from arrested bee thief, not all boxes ID'd to owner.

28619307_10215088225669721_3056357724316692530_o.jpg
    More pix from the stock pile of the alleged hive thief, Antonio Diaz Catarino.

It's ridiculous that the perpetrator is in custody, yet not being a useful source of info to find the hive owners. Bring back flogging.
    "Every viewpoint, is a view from a point." - Solomon Parker

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    not being a useful source of info to find the hive owners.
    I would guess it went something like,
    Were did you get the hives?
    - From a field
    which field?
    - Dont know/remember. I would drive around until i saw pallets of bee boxes and pick them up.

Hanlon's razor - "Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity."

As for finding the owners... I think id start with calling the number on the front of the box.

Yeah well, in North Korea they would tell him the daily beatings might stop if his memory improved.

good thing we don't live in north korea !

Some or those hive markings are well done - deep and quite legible. Is that a branding iron, router, something else?
    --shinbone
    (1975-1980, and now since 2011; maintain about 10 hives; Zone 5b; 15" rain; 5500')

based on what I see they are likely a router template or a router pantograph. you cant "burn" in a relief.

As a beekeeper and knowing Antonio I can say this post is crap not all details can be said until the legal process is done. But mr diaz will be vindicated once all this is done .many people are at fault it's a case of being in the wrong place at the wrong time. There is a reason why all the details don't add up. And the reason I am on this forum is to shed light on a case of a fellow beekeeper that is being stomped on like a bug by others who do not have any ethical standards.

Quote Originally Posted by Honeyaz1 View Post
    the reason I am on this forum is to shed light on a case of a fellow beekeeper that is being stomped on like a bug
    Please go ahead...

Please do.... and apparently, all the equipment has been moved again.

Antonio is being viewed as a beekeeper, yet not taking into account that he could actually be a broker and the supposed stolen bees could have been brought through a contract, and the beekeeper that agreed to send his hives with Antonio could have stolen them from the Texas beekeeper. Leaving the blame to Antonio, and with all eyes on him, the actual thieves are not facing justice. In this country it's innocent until proven guilty yet Antonio is being judged before an actual judgement.

Yep, innocent until proven guilty.The same thing happened a little bit back where someone destroyed the guys 50 hives and didnt have insurance.A bunch on here insinuated it was done by himself just to get a bunch of money through a gofund someone set up for him.Well it turned out they caught some kids that had destroyed his stuff.Dont start blaming till you get proof.I have been tired of all the fake news being put out these days by "anonymous" "undisclosed" and old "unverified sources". All three of them go out and lie and spread fictional rumors.Gossip,gossip and gossip!!!

Interesting disclosures here.
    1) The hives were being marketed for "cheap", and the so-called broker didn't know the hives were hot, give me a break.
    2) The accused didn't show for his preliminary hearing, "Failure to appear" warrant -- not an effective strategy for proving your innocence.

It may not sound good but still doesnt prove he is guilty.Many things were pointed out on the case of the guy who had his hives destroyed and he definitely wasnt guilty.I have sold some cheap before when I was in a bind and mine sure wasnt stolen.This guy could of been an illegal who just headed back across the border to avoid prosecution or just because he was illegally in the states.Let the court figure it all out.Its not for us who have no knowledge of whats actually happening to make judgment.

when there is smoke there usually is fire , it still sounds suspicious ,,( Deputies also learned that Catarino had allegedly been contracting the beehives for about $40 per hive.) he should have known that potato was to hot to handle and called the police, unless he was part of the scam ? I am just a arm chair detective so what do i know. When you buy something you better make sure it is not stolen !

Innocent till proven guilty is for the courts of law. Jumping to conclusions because i read a headline is what people do best!
    -- Joe
    "Make your own decision and embrace the consequences." -- jwcarlson

Arm chair detectives had the guy in Sioux City guilty till those kids were caught.
    https://www.beesource.com/forums/show...f+million+bees

I never accused any one of being guilty, it was reported that hives were stolen in Texas, then were found in Calif. a individual was arrested in Calif in connection with receiving money for those hives that did not have the authority to do that . I SAID THAT SOUNDS SUSPICIOUS !, that is not a conclusion, it is only up to the court of law to make a conclusion. if you do not have a bill of sale or proper paper work you can be prosecuted for receiving stolen goods

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast