Skunks

Thread: Skunks

Default Skunks

Loads of them around here, and always messing with my hives at night. Favorite deterrent? Lethal is not an option, nor is relocation. Short fence? Electric fence? Tack strips?
    Mistakes are the best taechers

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Skunks

Quote Originally Posted by Beebeard View Post
    Loads of them around here, and always messing with my hives at night. Favorite deterrent? Lethal is not an option, nor is relocation. Short fence? Electric fence? Tack strips?
    Raise the hives higher or use upper entrances are the two simplest. Personally I take a 2 x 8 and tack a coil of barb wire to it and lay it in front of the entrance. Some people use tack strips. Some people build cages like robber screens out of larger mesh hardware cloth and put over the entrance but I don't care for that method because then you can't get at the entrance easily and it may also inhibit the bees somewhat.

Put a piece of carpet nail strip on the landing board.
    Zone 6b 1400'

The bottom line they need to be dispatch. Even if you have to do it in a live trap. I never had any luck with height, or carpet tack strips? Gotten to the point that I love my 220 canabar trap. Something like 15 wood chucks. And a half doz raccoons.

Haven't tried it but I have heard of good luck running a hot wire from a electric fence across the entrance

If you're in the city limits, see what animal control will do for you, they may provide a live trap and removal. Even many counties, (at least down here) have this service. If they don't listen, mention "rabies", it's possible.

Other than that, I like the electric fence idea, you can get low amp 110v for small animals, they are cheaper, TSC carried them last year iirc. Most important thing with an electric fence, is your ground. Often when folks have a poor shock, is because they skimped on the ground rods, I have had to bury 2 horizontally in dry ground for a 100 mile charger just to keep cows in before. If the terrain stays moist, you can just drive them str8 vertically.
    “Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the Ark, professionals built the Titanic”

Quote Originally Posted by My-smokepole View Post
    The bottom line they need to be dispatch. Even if you have to do it in a live trap. I never had any luck with height, or carpet tack strips? Gotten to the point that I love my 220 canabar trap. Something like 15 wood chucks. And a half doz raccoons.
    It's illegal in Ohio to set a 220 conibear on dry land. A 220 size trap is 7x7 inches. The largest you can legally use is a 155 or 5"
    A 220 is plenty big for a cat or small dog to get its' head into and there's no such thing as a release from a conibear. You can catch groundhogs or whatever just fine in a 155 size and you won't have to worry as much about getting something you don't want- like the neighbors cat or a ticket from the game warden.

Trapping Regulations
    http://wildlife.ohiodnr.gov/hunting-...ng-regulations

Body-gripping traps set on land, or in a tile, den, or burrow on land shall not have an inside diameter jaw spread greater than 5 inches in diameter.
    Body-gripping traps with an inside diameter jaw spread greater than 5 inches, but less than or equal to 7 inches must be set in a natural body of water.

Most I talk to around here will use a hive stand to elevate the colonies so the skunk has to stand on hind legs to access it (which will expose the more sensitive belly to stings) and then lay a piece of plywood, or something similar, with closely spaced short nails protruding up through the wood. The wood piece is usually only a little larger than the width of the hive.

Thanks all. Landowner wants nothing to do with shooting or trapping. I have my hives about 20" from the ground, which seems to be the perfect height for them to rest their chin on and scoop the bees in. I'll give the tac strip, nail board approach a go before I resort to the lectric.
    Mistakes are the best taechers

Quote Originally Posted by Beebeard View Post
    Thanks all. Landowner wants nothing to do with shooting or trapping. I have my hives about 20" from the ground, which seems to be the perfect height for them to rest their chin on and scoop the bees in. I'll give the tac strip, nail board approach a go before I resort to the lectric.
    Good on the landowner. Trapping, shooting, and poisoning, never solves the problem and can lead to unintended consequences.

We have a lot of skunks in this area too. Shooting and trapping are only temporary fixes, it does not take long for more of their relatives to move in and fill the vacuum.

I've tried the tack strips with limited success. Skunks are persistent and a little smarter than I gave them credit for. They learned to scratch and claw on the side corner of the hive body, away from the tack strips, to drawn the guard bees out.

The permanent solution for me was to eliminate the bottom entrance. Now we all live in harmony. My bees are no longer harassed at night, and the skunks have moved on to dig up dinner elsewhere.
    To everything there is a season....

an old timer up here said he cuts 1/4" hardware cloth so the pokies get them in the feet when they stand to lean by he entrance, my dad mixes fly bait and coke in a dish for them. he usually gets a dozen a year, they take a dirt nap a few feet from the "food"

try some critter repellant like bonide repels all. any garden center should have it. basically putrified egg whites, garlic and cloves in a pelletized form. sprinkle generously around the hives on the ground. re apply if it rains. its cheap and worth a shot. if not pick up a roll of 11 gauge welded wire fence and some iron tee posts and fence the hives in. 4 ft high by 50 ft roll is pretty cheap from your local farm and fleet. i built some benches to get my hives higher up, but the repellant seems to work so far. heres a couple pics, one of the repellant and a few of my hives.

0824B56D-51D3-4963-AD8C-27D6496C2037.jpg85EE377A-9E0F-4923-80A0-DBA334EC3848.jpg7B2FDA62-D920-409A-84C7-F0C3960E0B7B.jpg

Many years ago, I had hives pollinating squash and noticed that skunks were pounding a couple of hives.
    Often, when you have a bunch of hives together, skunks will seem to just pick on a hive or two.
    You can tell by the mud all over the entrance and the dirt disturbed in front of the hive.

Anyway, I walked over to some very mature blackberry brambles and cut a few very large, thorny stalks and piled them loosly across the entrance area.
    Problem solved!
    Since then I have done this a number of times successfully with bees in crops.
    Skunks want nothing to do with thorns!
    I have exactly ONE more hive than you.
    That makes my opinion beyond dispute!

I have lots of skunks around my yards. Best non-lethal method I have found is to set mouse traps around the entrances. Don't need to bait them, just leave them in front for the skunks to step on as they approach. When's a skunk steps on one, they don't come back

Thad- Great idea! I'm gong to try it.