Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

ProVap 110 and Glycerin

4K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  psm1212 
#1 ·
As most know, OA is a flash treatment that lasts about 3 days tops as the bees see the re-crystallized OA as trash and haul it out.

While at the last mtg in Ohio, Randy O. suggested to me to try vaporizing OA dissolved in glycerin to perhaps lengthen the killing time of OA in the hive. I'm thinking (and need some help here) that if you're vaporizing let's say 10 doubles, you'd mix 20 grams (2 grams for each hive) with XX (again need some help) amount of glycerin and vaporize by placing 2 grams of the OA mixed with glycerin into the inverted teflon cap. Then place the inverted cap on the inverted PV 110, insert into the hive and turn the PV upright and allow the vaporization to occur.
I don't know (as I've not tried this yet) how long the vaporization would take. I'm guessing not as long as vaporizing crystallized OA.
I will give this a trial, but just don't have time at the moment.

Anyone with a ProVap want to give it a try and report back?

#5 ·
Larry I mixed up a bunch and soaked it into cardboard and used some of the remaining mixture in a fogger on a couple of hives giving them a shot every 5 days or so. The mixture was 80 grams of OA to every 100 grams of glycerin. When I went back into the cardboard treated hives after about 30 days and did an OAV treatment there were heavy mite falls at that point I gave up on that trial.
Will you mix the solution to dissolve the glycerin or just add the 2 together in the vaporizer, I should imagine 3 grams of OA to 4 grams of glycerin would be OK.
Johno

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.