ProVap 110 and Glycerin

Default ProVap 110 and Glycerin

As most know, OA is a flash treatment that lasts about 3 days tops as the bees see the re-crystallized OA as trash and haul it out.

While at the last mtg in Ohio, Randy O. suggested to me to try vaporizing OA dissolved in glycerin to perhaps lengthen the killing time of OA in the hive. I'm thinking (and need some help here) that if you're vaporizing let's say 10 doubles, you'd mix 20 grams (2 grams for each hive) with XX (again need some help) amount of glycerin and vaporize by placing 2 grams of the OA mixed with glycerin into the inverted teflon cap. Then place the inverted cap on the inverted PV 110, insert into the hive and turn the PV upright and allow the vaporization to occur.
    I don't know (as I've not tried this yet) how long the vaporization would take. I'm guessing not as long as vaporizing crystallized OA.
    I will give this a trial, but just don't have time at the moment.

Anyone with a ProVap want to give it a try and report back?
    http://OxaVap.com Your source for the ProVap 110
    OA Vaporizer. The fastest vaporizer on the market!

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: ProVap 110 and Glycerin

Snl, as a matter of interest I tried fogging a mixture of glycerin and OA but was disappointed in the low mite drops compared to the mite drops that I was getting with normal OAV so did not continue with that experiment.
    Johno

Quote Originally Posted by johno View Post
    Snl, as a matter of interest I tried fogging a mixture of glycerin and OA but was disappointed in the low mite drops compared to the mite drops that I was getting with normal OAV so did not continue with that experiment.
    Johno
    I donít know your mixture ratio, but perhaps a greater concentration of OA?
    http://OxaVap.com Your source for the ProVap 110
    OA Vaporizer. The fastest vaporizer on the market!

Something I heard Randy say at the Ohio meeting as well that may be more pertinent is his conversation with Euro beeks that OAV who said they really only see significant mite drop with at least 2 grams, most of them doing something like 4.

Larry I mixed up a bunch and soaked it into cardboard and used some of the remaining mixture in a fogger on a couple of hives giving them a shot every 5 days or so. The mixture was 80 grams of OA to every 100 grams of glycerin. When I went back into the cardboard treated hives after about 30 days and did an OAV treatment there were heavy mite falls at that point I gave up on that trial.
    Will you mix the solution to dissolve the glycerin or just add the 2 together in the vaporizer, I should imagine 3 grams of OA to 4 grams of glycerin would be OK.
    Johno

Quote Originally Posted by JohnSchwartz View Post
    Something I heard Randy say at the Ohio meeting as well that may be more pertinent is his conversation with Euro beeks that OAV who said they really only see significant mite drop with at least 2 grams, most of them doing something like 4.
    That matches up with Ian Steppler's use of 2 grams per brood box.