7 6th0pOk, this is a long post, as was allot of unexpected happenings. Forgive me. Yesterday was a very busy day !!! Went to Pick up my 2 package bees and lookout men. Bee supply near Gadsden, al.
Arrived at my farm, did my first 2 installs ever . I think it went very well. No major issues, and didn't get stung but 2 times.
Then I went to my local hardware store to Pick up some #8 or 1/8 hardware cloth. One of my neighbors was there also. Told him of the days events. Then he offered me up a colony.... it's a doozey. It's located in a 1956 Chevy pickup. Of all places, in the gas tank !!!! I had to study this one. Cooking up an idea of how to recover this massive hive. Bees coming and going , thick as theives . I did put out a swarm trap in my only available boxes. (2) of them. Then went back to Stevens Trading Post & Hardware in jones chappel/Cullman al.
When I arrived, the mgr./owner informed me that I needed to look at something. A massive swarm, it covered the end of a very larger propane refilling tank. Told me to get it, if I could tackle it.... I jumped..
This swarm covered the entire end of the tank, about 1 to 1.5 inches thick. A also it wrapped around the side (back) about 2 ft. This is from the underside of tank, to the top of tank. It easily was much larger than both packages put to gather that I had bought. After fetching one of the nuc boxes/swarm traps I put out on the gas tank job, and my gear.i went back, no smoker, and new to this catching of bees. Ricky, offered to video this expedition. Awaiting the video now. I'll post if it arrives. All over , the removal from start to finish had taken less that 2 hrs. I was excited, afraid, and very eager to prove my metal !!! Lol. Honestly, I was stung 3-4 times. All at the end of job. I think it was because these bees accepted their be home really fast. Way undersized box !!!. I raked them onto cardboard square, from bottom working up motion. Just emptied them in box, which was entrance stepped up., top open partially to allow them to march in after I scrapped and hand removed 85% or so of the bees in. I swear the box was buldgin at the seams. Overflow actually. All said and done, I made it back to the farm, set them out with the other 2 hives... I did drive 40 miles back home to retrieve a second 5 frame nuc, to double stack on the first. Got my old t50 stapler, made some robber screens for each box. Then drove 40 miles back to the farm. I added the 2nd box to the 1st, installed 2 of 3 robber screens. All in the dark, with truck headlights. And no bee suit.... All said and done, I finished at 12:30 a.m. this morning. 6 hrs. Plus driving to fetch new packages, and 2 plus hrs. retriving more equipment. Allot of work, but very rewarding. Ive been building equipment on spare time for 2 months now. Thought i was ahead of the game....lol.... now im behind. I do have another hive built, and a few spare med. 10 frame boxes made. I need to paint 2-3 coats paint. Then it ready. Now to build lots more. I think ill need to go into light production mode again. It's just starting out for me, but it's happening very fast. Way fast...lol thanks to my friend and ill call him my mentor for the phone support, ( Chris) and great advice and coaching. Also, to nick, who checks in on me and my episodes, and Ricky Stevens and wife at Stevens Trading Post & Hardware in Jones Chappell/Cullman al. For being great folks to do business with for over 10 years. And allowing me to do the 1st rookie bee removal at their business. !!!