Richinbama 2018-2019 beekeeping quest - Page 6
Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Default Re: Richinbama 2018 beekeeping quest

Quote Originally Posted by Richinbama View Post
    Ok, this is a long post, as was allot of unexpected happenings. Forgive me. Yesterday was a very busy day !!! Went to Pick up my 2 package bees and lookout men. Bee supply near Gadsden, al.
    Arrived at my farm, did my first 2 installs ever ��. I think it went very well. No major issues, and didn't get stung but 2 times.
    Then I went to my local hardware store to Pick up some #8 or 1/8 hardware cloth. One of my neighbors was there also. Told him of the days events. Then he offered me up a colony.... it's a doozey. It's located in a 1956 Chevy pickup. Of all places, in the gas tank !!!! I had to study this one. Cooking up an idea of how to recover this massive hive. Bees coming and going , thick as theives . I did put out a swarm trap in my only available boxes. (2) of them. Then went back to Stevens Trading Post & Hardware in jones chappel/Cullman al.
    When I arrived, the mgr./owner informed me that I needed to look at something. A massive swarm, it covered the end of a very larger propane refilling tank. Told me to get it, if I could tackle it.... I jumped..
    This swarm covered the entire end of the tank, about 1 to 1.5 inches thick. A also it wrapped around the side (back) about 2 ft. This is from the underside of tank, to the top of tank. It easily was much larger than both packages put to gather that I had bought. After fetching one of the nuc boxes/swarm traps I put out on the gas tank job, and my gear.i went back, no smoker, and new to this catching of bees. Ricky, offered to video this expedition. Awaiting the video now. I'll post if it arrives. All over , the removal from start to finish had taken less that 2 hrs. I was excited, afraid, and very eager to prove my metal !!! Lol. Honestly, I was stung 3-4 times. All at the end of job. I think it was because these bees accepted their be home really fast. Way undersized box !!!. I raked them onto cardboard square, from bottom working up motion. Just emptied them in box, which was entrance stepped up., top open partially to allow them to march in after I scrapped and hand removed 85% or so of the bees in. I swear the box was buldgin at the seams. Overflow actually. All said and done, I made it back to the farm, set them out with the other 2 hives... I did drive 40 miles back home to retrieve a second 5 frame nuc, to double stack on the first. Got my old t50 stapler, made some robber screens for each box. Then drove 40 miles back to the farm. I added the 2nd box to the 1st, installed 2 of 3 robber screens. All in the dark, with truck headlights. And no bee suit.... All said and done, I finished at 12:30 a.m. this morning. 6 hrs. Plus driving to fetch new packages, and 2 plus hrs. retriving more equipment. Allot of work, but very rewarding. Ive been building equipment on spare time for 2 months now. Thought i was ahead of the game....lol.... now im behind. I do have another hive built, and a few spare med. 10 frame boxes made. I need to paint 2-3 coats paint. Then it ready. Now to build lots more. I think ill need to go into light production mode again. It's just starting out for me, but it's happening very fast. Way fast...lol thanks to my friend and ill call him my mentor for the phone support, ( Chris) and great advice and coaching. Also, to nick, who checks in on me and my episodes, and Ricky Stevens and wife at Stevens Trading Post & Hardware in Jones Chappell/Cullman al. For being great folks to do business with for over 10 years. And allowing me to do the 1st rookie bee removal at their business. !!! ��
    7 6th0p

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

OM! You are so lucky! Congrats.
    Beek since 2016: Hardiness Zone 9a: in NW Florida

Thanks jade. Was fun, sorry about the book i wrote. Very active day here. Headed back to town shortly. I have 2 swarm traps to check
    1 is remote, but close to home in town. Fingers crossed. Checked all 3 hives out few minutes ago, and all robber screens in place. Actually they were popping well. Building like crazy. I'll not pull frames for inspection for a week or so. I'm really thinking I'll be putting a full size hive on them very soon. Was extremely large swarm. I'll wait till frames drawn out 80 % then move em..I know I'll need 2 10 frame meds. Or more on that one. And fast. Now building more, as I thought I was ahead...not now

Richin....
    What an exciting day. That is jumping in with both feet. It is harder to do then it is to tell, isn't it?
    Good luck this year.
    gww
    zone 5b

Hi gww , actually it was a busy day..lol I did enjoy it though. It is hard to keep up a pace like that. But, I was set up well for the 2 packages. The swarm was not planned, and my first time. If I had all the equipment from my house... it would have been great. I never figured someone would ask me to remove bees on day one though. Yes, it is harder to do it. But not bad either. I honestly expected allot worse from the bees, and so fourth.
    I'm gonna figure that hive in the gas tank though. I sure want it bad. Its a very big one, and grown over like a jungle to boot. Now that one is gonna be a real pain i think. Ill try to trap it at first, mabye reduce the population a bit. Then see what i can do with that. Looks like a freeway of bees coming and going there.

Richin....
    Look at some of these from this search.
    https://www.google.com/search?q=cleo...hrome&ie=UTF-8

If you could come up with queens and the guy didn't mind that the bees stayed where they were, you could just syphen bees off a couple of times a year.
    Cheers
    gww
    zone 5b

I do think ill do a trapout on the gas tank hive. I'll start soon by cutting back a path through the jungle to the truck. Leaving it a few days to settle, and acclimate. Attach a hose or pipe tube from the gas tank to provide a modified( longer tube entrance) . This should get me to a clear area to work... let the bees adapt to longer hive entrance. Then route the flex tube into a deep box, with a hardware cloth tube funnel. Hoping bees can't reenter. Then add frames of sorts, and hope bees move up to the presumed new hive , as mabye they can't go back into their old hive?? !!! Mabye the workers are trapped there, store their food, then mabye the others will come out to this box, mabye queen eventually. I think I can build me a hive stand somewhat close to the level of gas tank entrance, and as bees populate , mabye I can just add boxes to accommodate the hive size and population. Mabye the queen will move in?? We will see how this works out soon. Ive got all the time, and owners permission to attempt, basically anything I want to try. He sees it as a novelty, and quiet funny that I'd try to get this one out. I'm as tenacious as an old bull.... lol any ideas welcome, as I'm a rookie. And looks hard to do job. ...Thanks, Richard
    Last edited by Richinbama; 05-02-2018 at 09:16 PM.

Today, finished building out a complete hive, bottom, inner cover, Tele cover and 2 more boxes/supers. Now to add handles, and metal on Tele cover. All painted and ready to rehive the new swarm. Mabye sunday...

End of 1st week after install of 2 packages., and swarm.capture. 2 packages lol ok, and swarm looks great. Added pollen patty to each, and 1 to 1 to the 2 packages. Lack of place to put feeder on swarm. Did a a 2nd 5 frame nuc box to swarm, giving them 15 med. Frames to work with. Looked like the were drawing comb well, packages somewhat drawing comb. Will inspect at next weekend to see how they are really doing. Didn't do a full inspection, as to not disturb them much. 2 queens in package released well, and removed queen cages. Packages gobbling up the pollen sub patties.

Sounds great. IT is hard not to keep looking in the hives. Hang in there.

It really is.hard not to. I pulled a few frames, allot of new wax, syrup, and angry little bees...lol. I find it quiet interesting to see all that stuff.

Late update this past Sunday, I did a full hive inspections on all 3 hives. Package 1 looked great inside, capped honey, nectar, eggs, and guess brood. Left remaining pollen sub patties in for bees to clean up. Also, very little 1 to. Syrup left. Left for bees to clean up.
    Package 2 . Full hive inspection, bees looking very good. Capped honey, eggs, brood, and nectar. Looked really well, so I put a second brood chamber on top. Also, put fresh pollen patties on top of frames, left remaining 1 to. Syrup for bees to clean up.
    Large swarm hive. Looked extremely nice. Was in 3 5 frame nuc boxes, transferred to 2 10 frame med boxes. Adjusted frames, food on outside, brood in middle, and carried 1 small/partial frame of fresh drawn wax, with eggs up to center of 2nd top box.
    Conclusion... all were looking well, and draw ing wax, and nice straight combs. All had some brood, and eggs. Will inspect boxes this sat. Or Sunday, add brood/supers as needed. No more syrup, but patries as sparingly as needed, if at all. As they are pulling in resources nicely. No smoker, and very few angry bees. I'm actually happy with what I have done so far. A bit concerned that my major changes to frame structure though. I did all as have read, and hope I didn't mess things up... didn't see queens, I looked pretty well. Not as concerned with that though, as all had brood and eggs. I did see very few beetles, 3 in total in swarmnhive, they were very hidden in one small crack. I think the bees are running them out well. I'll get some traps, or swifter sheets to mabye stick them to . Not sure on proper placement of the swifter sheets though??? Any ideas will help. Thanks for all help, and advice, as I'm totally new.... ohn I've been going to every bee meeting I can get to, good experience with sorting good info, and some not so useful info. I like practical info, and simple reasoning. Some too technical, but stored in my little brain, in hopes it will come in useful someday.
    Hope everyone is well, and keep the advice coming to my long post here. Richard

Sounds like things are going well. Are you planing to split these this year?

Hi jade. Yes I'll try to get several splits soon. I plan to do up several like 5 , 3 frame nucs, grow em to 5 frame, then put em in 10 frame meds to finish out. Also, I have a cut out to do, plus trapping some, and hoping for another swarm or 2 if lucky. I hope to.end with 10 hives give or take a few I'm hoping. Allot of work, but doable, and still very early. Spring just here, and summer like weather.

Went to the farm today. All livestock doing well. Then off to the bees. 2 packages looked well. One is definitely stronger than the other. The swarm is doing great !!!
    Problem noticed though. 2 package hives were both fed 1 to 1 sugar water. I did add bee pro to it as recommended. Not happy with that choice. The syrup water was soured, smelled like vinegar or something. Will never mix it with my syrup again. I did add fresh syrup to the packages, and no bee pro in it this time. But, the pollen patties were being consumed very well
    Made from bee pro powder also. Lot of brood, eggs, and large in most boxes, as well as nectar, and yes capped honey. I did rearrange the frames a bit, I moved allot of honey , and nectar to outside of boxes, and brood to middle positions. Added another 10 frames to the swarm hive. Moved some honey and syrup to outside of this new box, and brood to the middle. (2 frames) . I did get stung 1 time through plates gloves. My fault, I picked a bee while lifting a frame. Otherwise, the bees were real good for me. No smoker again. They did bump me a few times after the sting. I just walked away a couple minutes, and went back to work. I'll add a frame of brood and hopefully the nurse bees on it next week.
    I did notice about 5-8 queen cups formed in swarm hives. Didn't get a look for eggs. !!! But I got a plan. I built up 6 3 frame queen mating nucs, plan is as follows : 1 frame honey, 1 frame of brood, and nurse bees, and 1 queen cell per nuc. Also, a frame with starter strip, and mabye a frame of nurse bees shaken in. Also, build out 4-6 hives for them in future. Also several more 5 frame nucs for when they outgrow the 3 frame nucs, and a mated queen in there.
    Also, checked my swarm trap by the gas tank cut out. Nothing happening, so I reloaded it with Lemmon grass oil. My plan is to build a stand, place it by theirbentrance, see what happens in a week. If no bees move to my box, I'll cut back the jungle a bit. Add a funnel from their hive entrance to my swarm trap. Once they leave their hive, they can't come back. I'll put a brood frame in my box, see if I can get them that way??? Any ideas welcome, as this book is long, but let me know if my direction is good or bad on the trap, and what I've done with the packages, and swarm. My first 3 weeks been busy, and about to get more busy I feel... thanks, richard

Update... I didn't mention this... I have not treated for mites yet. I'm thinking at end of 1st month, I'll do a sugar roll on all hives. Also treat them after this with oa vap for 3 weeks ongoing. Does this seem like a good plan of action??? Thanks again... rich

Yes, but we don't know the varroa numbers until you do a sugar roll or alcohol wash. So right now we are dealing with what could be the case. Let us say your hives has ONLY 200 mites each. Varroa can atleast double each month. You will likely brood into Oct. So those numbers could possibly be 6400 if the bees and mites continue to brood full steam ahead. It's a little more complicated than a set number, but it does make you think.

Killing mites now kills alot down the road. I personally like 4 OAV treatments in a 21 day period. This is on large colonies though. Just stay on top of it and find out what your percentages are. Good luck.
    Splitting a first year hive successfully https://youtu.be/ZfRTreQ-S9c

Will o av hurt the bees, or make them abscond? I do see allot of open eggs, and large Tenn. These were caught, and packages installed April 29th. Thanks

Rich, is your trap out box piped into the gas tank so the bees have to go through the hive to get out? This is a pic of an on going trap out I have.

20180509_164209.jpg

There is a 1-1/" pvc pipe inserted into the back of the hive.
    Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.

Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast