Richinbama 2018-2019 beekeeping quest - Page 5
Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Default Re: Richinbama 2018 beekeeping quest

Box building was on my list today too. I'm trying to decide how many two frames vs. five frames to build immediately. I got a nicot to try to raise some queens for splits. Too bad you aren't closer, we could tag team the building.
    Beek since 2016: Hardiness Zone 9a: in NW Florida

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Me too on what and how many to build. Ill do i guess 3-4 queen mating boxes, and 3-4 More nucs. I figure the queen mating boxes will turn to nucs fast. So ill need a bunch of nucs like 8 -10 this year. My guesstimate.
    Man, if we were closer, yes on the team effort. What part fl. You in Jade?

Jade I'm using all med. Frame stuff. I figure they will grow fast. I'll do individual 2 frame boxes. I like the idea.of queen castles too, but... I'm New, so I think I like the idea of not being to cramped at first. More work probably, but mabye easier to work at first. ??? Hmm, nuccot... I've seen that, but I'm not so advanced. 1st year here...lol. I want fast growth, that's manageable. I'd need to know allot of folks to sell all those queens. I'm thinking I'll pull cells before the hatch, and have a place for em to start off and mate. When I get nucs running, I can sell an mid summer.the rest will go till early spring to make some production hives I can split eventually, and have more hives, and sell more spring nucs. Just keep it growing as much as can sell, and overwinter I'm guessing. Honey will come, just bees seem.to be the way to make money, and growth, then the honey will come into play more.

Jade, I got 60 acres to play with. Allot of hills/mtn. I can do lots of different apiary sites there. I'll have to fence off with 3 strand electric. I have cows and horses. But they are fence broke, so no issues with them. There are a few nice sized orchards around, later I could mabye do a little pollinating in a couple of years mabye. Would be limited though. But I'm working on a small orchard of my own, and would love to do blackberries, and blueberries there also.

I'll make up several 2 frame queen cell/breeding nucs. Also I'll make a division board for some of my 5 frame nucs, giving me 2 2 frame queen breeding nucs per med box on hand. Mabye a good idea????

I'm in NW Florida about 5 1/2 hrs. from your area.

I'm working over to mediums. I probably won't use all the larvae to create queens, but at least I can control the timing a bit better.

I can only dream of 60 acres. I'm on 1/2 an acre. My main goal is honey, but I'd love to get to the point I can sell nucs. I love my blueberries. The climax variety is my favorite. I'm hopeful that the bees will really help have bumper crops of muscadines.

I've a few vines of grapes. I'll dig up some wild Muscatine soon though. I've heard of climax variety, I wonder if they would do here? Honestly, im in it for the honey, but as much as this hobby cost...lol.. I think making bees is the main goal, and honey comes secondary. With bees you can make all the honey ya need. Just my adjusted thinking.
    Not that far really, it's a drive though. Mobile is like 6 hrs.
    I just finished addition of 22 x60 ft on existing 40x60ft barn. I'm planning on adding a work area on my barn, all I need is a wall, and a floor down. Will be used for nothing but bee stuff. A place to make all my wooden ware, and mabye even sell some eventually. Got plans to build me a house there sometime. So, I'll do my contracting and farm business at the same location.

That is a dream set-up. Yes, not to far away in the big picture. You need to switch from the wild muscadines to some of the cultivated ones. Much bigger and juicer grapes. Climax blueberries are large, sweet, and have almost no tart taste. Tif Blue is another great variety, sweet with a touch of tart.

Kewl, ill try some of those. Will be a bit before I get them going, but I like to be prepared in advance.

Today, it finally quit raining. I checked both traps I had put out close to home. No hits on either one. I did see more bee activity in this area though. More forgets than in last 2bweeks for sure. so, somebody may try out my trap boxes... ??? Fingers crossed on that.
    Also, I built out new bottom board, inner cover, telescoping cover, and 2 new med. Boxes. So basically a new starter hive. I'm going to build out some 2 and 3 frame queen breeding nucs tomorrow if weather holds up. Would be nice, as I think ill use them to hatch queen cells, and I think it would be great as a start of a 5 frame nuc as well. Ideas..... Any comments welcomed,
    Thanks Richard

Why not build a nuc and put in a board to split it into two mating boxes. That is how I'm leaning now. Less bulky equipment, fewer builds, and multiple uses.

Hi jade, im considering this on a limited basis. After all equipment is built out. I'll do 1 or 2 boxes up as a double nuc. I'm thinking ? That 1st yr is a build up year, and resources will be low at the start, so 2 and 3 frame nucs for adding minimal bees, and queen cell to a small box is the way to go at the start. Then after I have numbers, and colony strength up I can add in different directions like this. I actually like the idea well, but resources are primary at start for me. I don't want to get to flipping flop in first year. I want to set a realistic goal that is attainable. Stick to it, if it works well continue with it. Then experiment a little, till I find something I think may be better, then try it out. If I works better, im prepared to make some bigger investments, and equipment to the new idea, after I see I'm prepared to implement it further. To me it's a business, and also a hobby last. I hope to get to be a good keeper, and learn, basics and grow this up a bit.

Actually I'll build a few boxes with a double nuc in mind in next 2 weeks. I'll build out 2-4 2 framers next week. Also some top feeding boxes to match em. I did.find some on fat bee Man, and the dirt rooster channel on YouTube. (Dirt rooster. Changed his channel name on yt?, I just forgot it off hand) some good info from him, and good videos. Also, simple, and effective methods, and easy to do ideas. You should check em out jade. Hey that's david at barnyard bees. Lots of good info there.

Jade, dont forget robber screens !!!!

Yes. I need to build robber screens. Right now there is so much forage that it isn't an issue, but that won't last much longer. Right now, I'm using wheels to minimize the hole size. What are you going to use for the metal? I can't seem to fins cheap sheet of aluminum. A 3x3 sheet was $60. I know there has to be something cheaper for robber screens and to cover lids with.

Ok for telescoping cover... i used aluminum flashing ..like 12.00 at home depot.(you can do 2 covers, and I think 1 or 2 nucs from a small roll.) 1 small roll is like 12.00. Robber screen, hardware store sell 1/8th inch hardware cloth, also called #8 hardware cloth. Small roll is like 7.00 for 10 ft. Roll. All you need to do is fold it into an L at the entrance loosely. Leave both sides open. The hives bees will go in and out the sides. The robbers will try to go straight in. Wallah, your bees know what to do, the robbers don't. So with this and entrance reducer... the hive can protect it entrance.

I buy the 14" (for nucs) and 20" wide rolls of flashing x 10' long at Lowe's or Home Depot. Each roll covers five lids. I cut all the pieces 24" long and then trim the sides to give a 1" fold over all the way around. My robber screens look like the ones from Brushy Mountain, minus the metal plate and the doors. Bees exit the hive out of the top of the screen. The local hardware stores here do not carry the #8 cloth. That I buy from McMaster Carr online.
    Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.

Ok, this is a long post, as was allot of unexpected happenings. Forgive me. Yesterday was a very busy day !!! Went to Pick up my 2 package bees and lookout men. Bee supply near Gadsden, al.
    Arrived at my farm, did my first 2 installs ever 😁. I think it went very well. No major issues, and didn't get stung but 2 times.
    Then I went to my local hardware store to Pick up some #8 or 1/8 hardware cloth. One of my neighbors was there also. Told him of the days events. Then he offered me up a colony.... it's a doozey. It's located in a 1956 Chevy pickup. Of all places, in the gas tank !!!! I had to study this one. Cooking up an idea of how to recover this massive hive. Bees coming and going , thick as theives . I did put out a swarm trap in my only available boxes. (2) of them. Then went back to Stevens Trading Post & Hardware in jones chappel/Cullman al.
    When I arrived, the mgr./owner informed me that I needed to look at something. A massive swarm, it covered the end of a very larger propane refilling tank. Told me to get it, if I could tackle it.... I jumped..
    This swarm covered the entire end of the tank, about 1 to 1.5 inches thick. A also it wrapped around the side (back) about 2 ft. This is from the underside of tank, to the top of tank. It easily was much larger than both packages put to gather that I had bought. After fetching one of the nuc boxes/swarm traps I put out on the gas tank job, and my gear.i went back, no smoker, and new to this catching of bees. Ricky, offered to video this expedition. Awaiting the video now. I'll post if it arrives. All over , the removal from start to finish had taken less that 2 hrs. I was excited, afraid, and very eager to prove my metal !!! Lol. Honestly, I was stung 3-4 times. All at the end of job. I think it was because these bees accepted their be home really fast. Way undersized box !!!. I raked them onto cardboard square, from bottom working up motion. Just emptied them in box, which was entrance stepped up., top open partially to allow them to march in after I scrapped and hand removed 85% or so of the bees in. I swear the box was buldgin at the seams. Overflow actually. All said and done, I made it back to the farm, set them out with the other 2 hives... I did drive 40 miles back home to retrieve a second 5 frame nuc, to double stack on the first. Got my old t50 stapler, made some robber screens for each box. Then drove 40 miles back to the farm. I added the 2nd box to the 1st, installed 2 of 3 robber screens. All in the dark, with truck headlights. And no bee suit.... All said and done, I finished at 12:30 a.m. this morning. 6 hrs. Plus driving to fetch new packages, and 2 plus hrs. retriving more equipment. Allot of work, but very rewarding. Ive been building equipment on spare time for 2 months now. Thought i was ahead of the game....lol.... now im behind. I do have another hive built, and a few spare med. 10 frame boxes made. I need to paint 2-3 coats paint. Then it ready. Now to build lots more. I think ill need to go into light production mode again. It's just starting out for me, but it's happening very fast. Way fast...lol thanks to my friend and ill call him my mentor for the phone support, and great advice and coaching. Also, to nick, who checks in on me and my episodes, and Ricky Stevens and wife at Stevens Trading Post & Hardware in Jones Chappell/Cullman al. For being great folks to do business with for over 10 years. And allowing me to do the 1st rookie bee removal at their business. !!! 😁

Oops, thanks wife marsha for putting up with me and my adventures. For better or worse.... lol I remember this , I may be the worse part..lol.. hive not, and I love ya m.e.t.

Rich, you´re the bravest! What a great experience!

Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast