Richinbama 2018-2019 beekeeping quest - Page 3
Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Default Re: Richinbama

Paul Kelly (Canada), doesn't let his students wear gloves, and I rarely do either. Here in the South the nitrile gloves just fill with sweat and then drip all over the place. I tolerate a little venom therapy from time to time. I've actually made statements that I hadn't been stung in awhile. Use smoke and move slow. I work my bee's every 7 to 10 days, so just maybe we've bonded. If you spend to much time in a hive, they'll let you know it.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Thanks guys, I'll try the bare handed approach... But when I get the feeling somebody is gonna get me , I'll go away and put some handy gloves on. Lol

Well tomorrow evening I'll attend my 2nd bee club meeting. 1st was at Cullman co bee club, and 2nd at the Madison co bee club, at the Huntsville botanical gardens. Thanks to Mr. Jovian here, I'll get another chance to meet a fellow beekeeper somewhat closer to me as well.per his invite. Which is kewl, I like meeting folks, and a little drive isn't bad, with a purpose. Like minded folks do gather... so, im.gathering all I can in from meetings, visits to several salaries, bee source, and online YouTube videos. Thanks Chris, jovian, and Lindsey Troutdale. And lookout men honeybees( David and lynn) .

Quote Originally Posted by Richinbama View Post
    Thanks guys, I'll try the bare handed approach... But when I get the feeling somebody is gonna get me , I'll go away and put some handy gloves on. Lol
    Smoke your hands well and you'll be surprised at how rarely you'll get stung (and most of those times will be when you accidentally pinch a bee).

Will definitely use smoke. Last. Weekend I got stung 3 times. Didn't do much to me though. Was lucky I guess, mabye they didnt sink them stingers in too deep ? Lol

Can someone tell me how to change my thread title, and it's content line?
    I'd like it to reflect more than about gloves.

Should be "Richinbama 2018 beekeeping quest" . In subject line should say, "questions, answers, my journal "
    Thanks, richard
    Last edited by Richinbama; 03-08-2018 at 10:21 PM.

Today I went to Madison co. Beekeepers club meeting. (Meeting #2 for me) was very informative, me club president, and state of al. Bee inspector (short lecture)for my region (no. Al.) Was very good topics, and had a master beek (Bob Fanning) doing a short lecture. Ill meet him in near future on my farm to go over things, and register my hives, as soon as bees get in, and a couple weeks after they settle in. Should be interesting, and mabye get allot of good insights into this venture !!! �� met up with jovian from here on beesource, was a kewl guy. 2nd person from beesource to meet in person from local. Worked on painting out hive boxes, and will build top cover, inner cover, and solid bottom boards x2 of each. And if time a few more med. Boxes.
    Thanks, Richard
    Last edited by Richinbama; 03-08-2018 at 11:32 PM.

Default Re: questions, answers, my journal

you can change the subject line anytime by clicking 'go advanced' when you are replying.
    journaling the growth of a (mite) treatment free apiary started in 2010. 20+/- hives

Today I went to Madison co. Beekeepers club meeting. (Meeting #2 for me) was very informative, me club president, and state of al. Bee inspector (short lecture)for my region (no. Al.) Was very good topics, and had a master beek (Bob Fanning) doing a short lecture. Ill meet him in near future on my farm to go over things, and register my hives, as soon as bees get in, and a couple weeks after they settle in. Should be interesting, and mabye get allot of good insights into this venture !!! �� met up with jovian from here on beesource, was a kewl guy. 2nd person from beesource to meet in person from local. Worked on painting out hive boxes, and will build top cover, inner cover, and solid bottom boards x2 of each. And if time a few more med. Boxes.
    Thanks, Richard
    What value would Beesource be, if 10,000 plus members did a daily Facebook entry?????????
    Zone 3b. If you always do what you always did, you'll always get what you always got!

Thanks, I didn't know that. Appreciate that.

Mgolden, Seems like if ya could draw 10000 folks here daily, wouldn't be a need for Facebook.?

Mgolden, Seems like if ya could draw 10000 folks here daily, wouldn't be a need for Facebook.?
    Seems like 2 different platforms, and this platform.is.specific only like minded folks here, so it's very beneficial. An interest group forum, is it?

rich, when i first started with bees i read everything i could get my hands on. it turns out some materials ended up providing extremely valuable information while other materials did not.

here is an excellent primer by randy oliver:

http://scientificbeekeeping.com/scib...UTLINE-PDF.pdf

you could spend a year or two studying everything randy has on his website. all of it is worthy of the time.

http://scientificbeekeeping.com

and here is a link to michael bush's website. michael is a strong advocate for treatment free beekeeping, but most of the information here applies to beekeeping in general regardless of whether one treats or not. the information is presented concisely and is easy to understand:

http://www.bushfarms.com/bees.htm

your thread was moved to beekeeping 101 because:

"You're thinking about it or have already taken the first step. Beekeeping basics spoken here!"

(from the 'forum' page in which all of the sub forums are listed)

this will make it easier for others who are in a similar situation to be able to find and learn from your questions and the answers to them.

you will find that there are many on beesource who are generous with their time and knowledge; especially when it's clear that the questioner has taken the time to do a little homework.

i wish you all the best as you proceed along your quest!
    journaling the growth of a (mite) treatment free apiary started in 2010. 20+/- hives

Thanks squarepeg. In do read allot of Randy Oliver, and Mike Bush. Both good reads ! Ill dig into them more. I like both opposed views, and seems to help me make better choices as of yet. I'll be getting my 2 packages March 20, 2018. I'm almost ready on my end. Got them at lookout mtn. Bees. David was OK nto deal with, just a big drive from Decatur, Al. Probably the bees come from Georgia.
    Glad to see yabfrom Bama also. So, here it goes.... Roll tide!!!

Yesterday was a slow day for me. Haircut, and a visit to a friends : Lindsey trousdale's shop. He make all Woodward, and a beekeeper too.

Default Re: Richinbama 2018 beekeeping quest

Today, well rained out.was making misc. Wooden ware. So, I did catch a 15 minute break in rain. So I cut all wood for 2 bottom boards, and 1 med super. So, im assembling now.... in my dining good of all places. Lol, not bad, it's my catch all room now.... I think, till wife gets tired of it. 😁😎

Today at the farm, was planning to set out my 5 frame nuc boxes, both as a swarm traps. Started raining, so didn't get them out. Also, worked out I suppose. My tractor went dead on me, ended up being a bad starter. So, Monday I'll be putting it back on after repairs rebuilding it.
    Then will fence off area for my apiary, for the 2 packages ordered. Hoping for a early swarm to pass and mabye collect if the choose my nuc boxes. I think Ill start 1 of the packages in the med supers I've built, and 1 in a five frame med. Nuc, which I built 2. Both have 2 nd boxes to make them 10 med frames each. Just wondering which will do best at start. ??? I'll add a pollen sub patty and a pint or quart jar of syrup to each box. Which ever jar size will fit into 2nd top box. I'll start with 1 drawn frame, and the rest as empty frames, in hope of drawing new wax into frames. Any ideas if this plan will work, and if I need to change any before I get ahead of myself... ??? Comments welcome. Thanks, Richard

New post.

Use a small chunk of pollen patty, they're magnets for small hive beetles. See how much the bees will eat and don't give them more than they'll eat over a couple of days.
    "Sometimes the best action, with bees, is no action at all."

one five frame medium nuc box seems a little bit small to start a package in.

if you still have those frames of drawn comb i would give them all of that i could so the colonies get off to a faster start.

you will get more a lot more comb built once it warms up to 80+ degrees and the main flow kicks in.

you should have plenty of pollen coming in now, i'd probably skip the patty.

same with nectar, although a little syrup to start a package off is what most folks who use packages recommend.

Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast