Richinbama 2018-2019 beekeeping quest - Page 2
Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Default Re: Richinbama

Kewl, I'll try a pair of those out, and mabye add a exam glove underneath as well. I did get stung a few time with the cloth glove, with the exam glove over it. But, only when the exam glove shredded.. lol, they zoomed in on my bad glove hand, and bounced off my veil really good at that point. Was fun though 😂

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

I buy the 7 mil nitrile gloves from Harbor Freight, I watch for a sale and buy a bunch of boxes. The 7 mil gloves seem to offer a good trade off between dexterity and protection. Occasionally a stinger will get through the 7 mil gloves, but even if it does she doesn't get a good sting in. I seem to react to bee stings in proportion to how thick the meat is. Stings to my arms, neck, chest, make a small welt that's mostly gone the next day. Stings to my forehead or finger though swell up a lot and take a few days to go down, so I focus on protecting my head and my fingers.
    Zone 5B

Quote Originally Posted by Richinbama View Post
    Over the weekend, i visited a friend and his hives. I saw his device for treating oa. Basically, a copper pipe, flattened on one end, with a coupler fitting to put the o.a in, then heated with a torch, then the flattened end inserted into entrance. I didn't see it in use, but was curious/intrigued that this would mabye work fairly well? Any observations?
    You would do better to purchase a real OA vaporizer instead of relying on a blowtorch. The temperature in which OA sublimates is critical and if it is too high or too low, the OA is ineffective.

Quote Originally Posted by ericweller View Post
    You would do better to purchase a real OA vaporizer instead of relying on a blowtorch. The temperature in which OA sublimates is critical and if it is too high or too low, the OA is ineffective.
    This is good advice!
    ...We don't see things as they are, we see things as WE are...

My thought was along this line to Eric, it was neat seeing how creative this approach was though. Just was curious as to it ability to do the job consistently.

Yup, lebreau i agree, I've saw the yard fogger thing too. Still amazed at the contraptions out there !!!

Yup, jc... harbor freight looks good to me i think i saw a 7 and a 9 mil there. Ill double em up for sanity...lol. actually i didnt react to bad though. Got hit on the hand 2 for sure, and mabye 3 . Fingers didnt swell up too bad at all. For a few minutes mabye. So, im thinking they didnt get me too good then...😁. Qhat us guys do for fun ....lol

I only use gloves at harvest time, when all the marbles are on the table. I can't believe y'all use nitriles, my hands sweat too much in them during the summer. I much prefer thin baseball or golf gloves in white leather. They are thin and cool and stop stingers.

Hi napatu2 , im new at bees... So looking at all options. I'm not afraid to sweat, but prefer not to, and would like protection, and still feel the frames, and price and comfort a big plus starting out. Lord when I played ball, we rarely had gloves on our hands. Except the mitts themselves, we were poor...lol. I'll look at them though at academy, do you have a brand, and style number for the ones that you use. We have academy sports around the corner. I'll definitely look at them. P.s. I've only been inside 6 hives 1 time. Like 2 days ago. So very new ....

I have used the nitrile gloves in the past and I liked them. The only issue I have is my hands get very sweaty, and if you tear one it's impossible to get a new glove on with sweaty hands.
    I went to Lowes and bought some smooth leather gardening gloves for $7 that seem to work really well.
    I still don't have the nerve to go bare handed.
    Let's Eat Grandmaw ........... Let's Eat, Grandmaw.......Grammar Saves Lives

When the weather or operation makes gloves a needed item we use these gloves from Amazon.

Valutek VTGNPFB12-L Nitrile ESD Cleanroom Gloves [Ambidextrous, 12in beaded cuff, Powder Free, White] 100 gloves, Large

They are about $20 bucks for a hundred. Get a full day out of them most times. I've only been stung once thru them and probably used them on a couple thousand times in hives. They are thin and you can feel everything. Works out cheaper than having some thicker gloves around for the guys. They sweat your hands a little but that makes them easier to get off and on. Randy Oliver suggested them and he was right again.

Default Re: Richinbama's question about gloves

(rich, i edited the title of your thread to better reflect the topic)
    journaling the growth of a (mite) treatment free apiary started in 2010. 20+/- hives

Quote Originally Posted by JConnolly View Post
    I buy the 7 mil nitrile gloves from Harbor Freight, I watch for a sale and buy a bunch of boxes. The 7 mil gloves seem to offer a good trade off between dexterity and protection. Occasionally a stinger will get through the 7 mil gloves, but even if it does she doesn't get a good sting in. I seem to react to bee stings in proportion to how thick the meat is. Stings to my arms, neck, chest, make a small welt that's mostly gone the next day. Stings to my forehead or finger though swell up a lot and take a few days to go down, so I focus on protecting my head and my fingers.
    I use those exact ones as well. I don't think I've ever been stung through them.

Ok guys got my bees ordered. 2 packages to start from brushy mtn bees. Will be in on april 20, 2018. Now for a nuc or 2. That should keep me busy. Also go my hive tools and vented jacket. All i need is a 5 gal. Bucket, a smoker and some gloves.. ����
    Last edited by Richinbama; 03-06-2018 at 11:56 PM.

I guess the correct title to my thread should be " richinbama beekeeping quest 2018" , as this is kinda like my humble beginnings journal, and quest for answers. Somehow it gets changed each day??? I prefer it stays the same... please.
    thanks guys for replys

Quote Originally Posted by squarepeg View Post
    when i first started i got the leather beekeeping gloves. it didn't take long before they became full of stingers and the bees went straight to them.

it was too much trouble to keep the leather gloves clean so i learned how to be more careful handling the frames and do my best to avoid that first sting.

now i just wear thin disposable nitrile gloves which can't block the stinger but do block the scent of my hands and they work really well.

if by chance i get stung through the nitriles it's really easy to use the glove to pull the stinger out and for some reason the smell of the stinger doesn't appear to linger.
    good post, squarepeg. Similar to my own experience. A lot better feel for the bees equates to fewer bees getting bumped, bruised or broken, therefore fewer stings. And just a tug on the glove removes the sting. I have even take this to the next step and started working them barehanded except when conducting deep inspections or other very invasive actions. It's a cool feeling, to have bees walking all over my hands just checking me out, without stinging.

Also, keeping stinging insects means getting stung. IMO, the terror of getting stung should soon pass.

[QUOTE=Lburou;1606391]Bees HATE the color black. It pays to wear light colored clothes around the beesQUOTE]

That might be true, maybe. But I believe there are factors that upset the bees much more than the mere presence of a color. Being crushed with clumsy, pheremone-drenched gloves is one of them.

Wink Re: Richinbama

Quote Originally Posted by Lburou View Post
    Bees HATE the color black. It pays to wear light colored clothes around the beesQUOTE]

That might be true, maybe. But I believe there are factors that upset the bees much more than the mere presence of a color. Being crushed with clumsy, pheremone-drenched gloves is one of them.
    Africanized bees have entered UT.. If they make it to your world, the truth of what I wrote will be stingingly clear to you.

Texas bees will attack black, and yes, beekeepers are wise not to crush bees, and to use smoke.
    ...We don't see things as they are, we see things as WE are...

Quote Originally Posted by Richinbama View Post
    Thanks guys , I'd like to go bare hand..
    Just because guys on youtube go bare hands, I would not do it.

You want to be comfortable in your gear so to scoop a handful of bees at any moment because it may happen.
    If you can scoop your bees bare hand and not be afraid of it - then go for it.
    Otherwise equip yourself so that you are not afraid to scoop/brush your bees by hand at any time (if it takes gloves - then do gloves).

So are you ready to scoop up/brush off your bees by bare hand?

PS: obviously, it is better to catch a queen by bare hand and so you do that;
    sometimes you can afford to be lazy and not dress up and so you get away with that too.
    Last edited by GregV; 03-07-2018 at 08:39 AM.
    Former "smoker boy". Classic, square 12 frame Dadants >> Long hive/Short frame/chemical-free experimentations.

I found beekeeping much more enjoyable when I got rid of all that protection. The first time I had to put new queens into splits I made was a rainy day and cold. My wife held the umbrella while I placed the cages. My hands must of been full of the Queen pheromones because the bees just crawled all over my hands and warmed them up. Never went back to gloves and I think I've gotten resistant to the bee sting I haven't had any swelling from stings for years even when I get it in the face but the ones right under the nose can hurt.

Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast